Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are keystone klassics kool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Im kinda a wheel nutt.. and been digging around in classic wheels for awhile now... I have always seen the wheel.. and never knew what it was. Recently I came across some keystone klassics unpainted... and thought hey.. i like that... i didnt even recognize it as keystone klassic at first.

Thought I would post them up and see what the hamb guys thought about them and get the story on them... I see them on alot of rides that were done back in the day.. are they hamb friendly?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im even thinking about buying a set for my truck now after seeing
    them on a similar f100 like mine.

2. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

I use to hate them and now for some reason I like them,
    same with Cragars.
    I guess there is so much new stuff that looks bad that it makes the classic stuff look good?

3. I like em, in a
    Australia one of the first locally produced mag wheels was a tasman it looks a lot like the keystone. Also there was a rare unscolloped version my buddy has a couple of them. i will get a photo and post a picture soon

4. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

I think these wheels were better suited to the late 60's / early 70's "Muscle Cars" than HAMB type vehicles. Just my opinion.

5. if ya gotta ask....

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They were on my first car, '69 Pontiac LeMans, but I really didn't like them and still don't. They look weird to me on anything pre-66 or so.

7. chopo

chopo

on the right car

8. racemad55

racemad55

When Sox&Martin ran 'em they were cool !

9. 65fordguy

65fordguy

lol.. well hey.. im only 28 now.. and been around this old stuff for a year now. im mainly interested in the mid to late 60s though. If we had talked last year before the hamb came into my life Id be saying slap some 20" somethings on there.

10. I had a set on my '70 Buick Skylark I drove in high school. I thought they were cool, but that was almost 30 years ago. Non HAMB-Friendly wheels...

11. roddinron

roddinron

They've always seemed to have had a "white trash redneck" stigma to them for some reason. I never liked them, and though my tastes have changed on a lot of things over the years, I still hate em, especially on anything that's HAMB worthy.

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

13. 65fordguy

65fordguy

i kinda feel that way about the old cragars..

14. Something about em never worked for me.

15. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

On the right car they look cool, definitely a musclecar era icon though.

16. with the right tires mildy hamb friendly. to me they are 70's only

17. havi

havi

Hambworthy, not likely. But if you could fab a tube chassis under a 1996 Oldsmobile cutlass SL, painted black, and put them on, then maybe. Wonder how they'd look on a Fox body?

18. 65fordguy

65fordguy

the torq thrust wheels are a great wheel.. they certainly arent ugly.. but every car show or even I go to... nearly EVERYone has them. and the Red steel wheels.. which is what prompted my new hobby of classic wheel hunting...Ive been trying to find something different.. and would remain period. and still look cool.

19. vintage chrome steelies!!

20. 65fordguy

65fordguy

what are the right tires?

lol. Ive got a sweet set of firestone indy 500s I could use !

21. Brandi

Brandi

Yeah, I just can't really see them on anything other than 70s muscle. And even then, I still don't like 'em. But, there's an ass for every seat...

22. James427

James427
    BANNED

Not my favorite, but I bought a used set last week for $100 in good shape. They will be put on some low-buck project or beater to dress it up a little without spending a fortune. For that they are perfect.

23. twofosho

twofosho

I was gonna mention them, they were called Keystone Rogues, and they weren't all that rare back then (1971 or so). Anyone remember the Sears branded ones, I can't remember what Sears called their versions (they sold both styles), but the only difference was the center cap. I put my set (15X7s Rogues with the Sears center caps) on a 68 Camaro I did a ground up on about 1980 or '81, hind sight what it is, I kinda wish I'd kept them.

24. HammerDown

HammerDown

They are definitely ugly with the black paint on them, but after seeing the pic without the paint I am intrigued.
    Hell, I kinda dig 'em actually...

25. rusty48

rusty48

THats the way I see it.

26. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

A better question that would answer all this is when were they introduced? Anyone got a collection of old speed catalogs? Keep going back a year until the disappear from the catalog, and then let us all know.

I've wondered about Cragars. Anyone know when Cragars were introduced?

27. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

very much so ,,but more designed for mid/late 60's and early 70's car

28. havi

havi

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  29. 65fordguy

65fordguy

MY thoughts exactly.. im not all that into them with the black paint at all. but I do dig the unpainted look. really caught my eye.

I wish I could find a good picture of the wheels unpainted... that one I posted was on ebay... not the best picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.