Register now to get rid of these ads!

I almost gave up on ebay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3step, Feb 18, 2009.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

The seller can end the auction any time prior to 12 hours of the auctions end no matter how may bids are on it.:D

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The other reason to bid the starting bid and not worry about it is the concept of "if I get it I get it an it is cheap enough I won't get hurt. I got a 30 something accessory heater that way the other day. Bid the minimum and if I didn't win it there were more out there.

I got my 21 ft sailboat for 202.50 on a max 250.00 bid six years ago. The 4.5hp merc outboard was worth twice what I paid for the boat plus everything else that came with it. The PO had paid tax on 1600 the year before when he bought it and brought it down from BC. The seller posted an add pretty much like the one on the Olds engine. Poor header title, bad description an even worse photos. Plus he was tired of paying 65.00 a month storage in Seattle while He was living in Madison, WI.

On the other token I have seen lots of stuff not get a bid because the description was obviously embellished and the item wasn't worth the starting bid.

3. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

good score...... dam wish i could find some good deals//

4. mink

mink
    from CT

Exactly and thats good reason to forget about it because know one in there right mind would accept a buck. Im still waiting on payment for a 53 olds hood ornament that sold for 15. Uless , unless its got to go

5. henryj429

henryj429

I got a 57 Fairlane 4 dr Ht top $127.50 on ebay last fall. I also bought the 54 Crestilne 2dr that was sitting beside it for $250. ..... Only 35 miles down the road.

6. Squablow

Squablow

You can end an auction with bids on it, but not in the last 12 hours of the auction. You can end an auction in the last 12 hours only if it does not have any bids.

I realize most of us here have a good grip on eBay searches, but let me throw in a couple pointers for those of you just getting started.

First off, and most importantly, don't ever use eBay's "Best Match" search for anything. It's a sure-fire way to get all the car covers and keychain type shit at the top of the list and knock the good, old stuff to the bottom or not show it at all. I like to search by time-ending soonest.

Let's say you have a '54 Belair and you want to search all of the '54 Chevy stuff on eBay. If you put

54 Chevy

in the search window, you'll only get a limited number of items. Try it like this instead

(54,1954)+(chevy,chevrolet,belair)-(truck,pickup)

This will give you any combination of the year with any combination of the words in the second set of parenthesis. In the first search, something listed as "54 Belair grille" or "54 Chevrolet side trim" or "1954 Chevy bumper" would not show up in your search, but in the second example, you would get all of those items, plus filter out anything that used pickup or truck in the description.

Also, keep in mind that some people don't know how to spell certain words, and others just spell them differently (not necessarily wrong). If you want to search for Desoto grilles, be sure to include both spellings of grille (with and without the E) and try Desoto with a space, and with an A at the end (I don't know who the hell spells it Desota but I see a shitload of listings with that spelling.)

So instead of

Desoto grille

You would put

(Desoto,De Soto,Desota)+(grill,grille,teeth)

The more listings you find, the more opportunities for a deal you get. And when you see the stuff that others don't see, that's when you get the deals.

Also keep in mind that while eBay is a poorly run company who makes changes for no reason and punishes it's legitimate sellers while making it easy for scammers to screw everyone, most of the actual buyers and sellers are the same guys you see at the swap meet or talk to on the HAMB.

7. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I figured that the rules had changed. Just another reason I can add to the list of why I seldom buy or sell on ebay anymore. Ebay always made a big deal out of "A bid is a contract to buy." They never mentioned (or enforced) that an offer to sell (when there is no reserve or the reserve is met) when there is an acceptance (a bid) is a contract to sell.

8. flying clutchman

flying clutchman

$1.04!!! thats a damn good deal. have you checked the prices of boat anchors lately?

9. I won a Cadillac flathead one time for a great price. Long story short, I never saw the motor. The seller made up some story like, he was selling it for someone else and he listed the wrong motor or something. Hope you get it for $1.04, good luck
    Tom

10. 61TBird

61TBird

How many times have you seen posts on the HAMB get replies of "if you did a search" or "that's been posted 3 times already" because they haven't got a handle on using the search function.
    Just like CL(craigslist),if you type in "keywords" and sometimes misspell words,you'll be amazed at what you'll find.
    Try a search with Camero. You'll be amazed at how many people have one for sale and can't even spell it right!

11. helmsville

helmsville

WoW! im sorry you had to spend your lunch money.

12. HoldFast

HoldFast

word.... everything I see is in pure epay status. Redonkulus.

13. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Man I feel stupid - this is like Ebay searches 101. Thanks for the pointers!

14. oldlites4u

oldlites4u
    from GA.

giving up on stealbay would have been your best choise i got nailed by three sellers for a total of more than 1000.00 stealbay did nothing and when we filed charges and our sheriffs office contacted them they would not give them any info and hung up on the investagater ????????? they should be closed down!!!!!!!!! even just last year when ( france ) won ten's of millions it did not change them at all .
    close stealbay downsend the workers to jail , burn the blg, and salt the property so nothing can ever grow there again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

Cool deal! Congrats!

16. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I do okay there.. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to though. Maybe I need to look things over again and see what I can find, but normally I do my buying elsewhere and use eBay to sell the stuff I don't want or think is worth good money.

17. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

play the lotto is my addvice with your luck you'll win cool score

18. Tony D.

Tony D.

Nice score!!!

I found a pair of Hardstreet bags (around $400) for my bike on ebay and got them for $.90 + shipping. Deals can be had if you search hard enough.

19. 3step

3step

Yeah, about $147/ton around here. Thanks about $50 for this one and thats keeping the valve covers to sell to someone to make a fake boat anchor out of their SBC.

20. I post the minimum on things I'm interested in and want to get daily reminders about it or at least a few more reminders before it ends, not sure if you still get dailies, but you used to. A lot of times when I just "watch" something I see the one reminder after the auction has ended, but if you placed a bid you generally get a few more reminders, but I still bid on stuff with a minimum and still forget to get on and try to win it at the last minute.

21. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Not trying to hijack the tread but I scored a fully rebuilt 21 stud flathead 30 minutes from my house for $105 on ebay... If you look you'll find deals..

22. rougebeats

rougebeats

Maybe $.75, but you got ripped off at $1.04! :DJ/K
    Thats one hell of a find! Just a question though- does'nt ebay charge more than that to sell something? I've never sold anything on there before?

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, the new eBay rates are really high, sold a few items last week for the starting bid of $1.00. I just wanted the stuff out of here, but rates & fees and the tape to box the stuff exceded the sale price. :rolleyes: