Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there any wyotech or other auto trade school teachers out there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eddytheb, Feb 17, 2009.

1. MP&C

MP&C

I have an 18 year old nephew that did not see himself following the footsteps of his two older brothers going thru college. He just didn't see himself sitting in front of a computer for eight hours a day, he's more of a hands on guy. He decided on Lincoln Tech here in MD, taking the automotive service tech training. He's been doing real well, is in the top 10% of his class, and his parents only complaint is that he gave up his part time job. I offered to keep him busy on the weekends he's home, and he has been pulling engines, putting front ends together, prepping for paint, sandblasting, just about anything that is asked of him. The new stuff he's shown is rarely shown more than once, and he's got it, but then I take a few moments to explain, "this is what we do and this is why......" I couldn't ask for better help and he seems to enjoy it. He does update his facebook page weekly with the stuff he's worked on as well, so I think he definitely has shown a good interest. Plus, working in a small shop like mine will get him more hands-on experience in more areas than any jiffy lube out there. He'll be a better mechanic in the long run because of it, and will have a restoration shop to add to his resume..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yes, I'll also add to what others have said, it's the student. I just don't think you've found the right one yet. Perhaps if you got ahold of the teachers at the school and were able to ask who the best and brightest were and you had a job for them, it would weed out some of what you're going through.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. well i droped out of high school in the 60s and went to a good tech school, took awhile to get going, was not a total natural on auto mech
    took auto body after Nam thought I knew it all, took about 10 years to get fairly good
    went broke in my own business and went to work as heavy equip mech, did Ok on that
    got in the exhaust business and self taught myself on that one
    well it looks like you need a guy with 10 years experience and if they are sucessfull they will have a good paying job
    use your friends for skilled help, you know what they can do
    wait as business go broke and scarf up the good employees
    another question is what you paying for good experienced help?? am sure that is approaching $20 a hour in many places and some areas more

3. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I was in the same boat and I see things a little different. So my question is How do you acquire experience when most employers won't take the time and give someone a a fair shot. I went to Lincoln Tech and I think I learned may be a little bit more than High School Auto Shop but not much more. I do agree that these school are in just to make money and that's it. I walked out there with a 3.8 gpa and never really got the job opportunity because no one want to hire someone with little work experience.

4. snazzy56

snazzy56

Its all about the money !!!

5. old1946truck

old1946truck

They want to get paid for nothing. Instead of working there ass off for it.

6. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

to be honest with you , it doesn't even matter anymore, cause after some time on the job, these kids find out that this profession isn't all it's made out to be. the ones that stick with it are truly in love with the automobile lifestyle and have a passion for cars. the rest of them do their time, and then move onto to something easier and less hands on. i gave up a long time ago on pulling kids out of trade schools, teaching them the right way to do the job, only to find out after time that they could care less, or they don't really want to get their hands dirty. they all want to make a million dollars but non of them are willing to work for it. let's face it, blue collar workers are a dying breed. most of these kids today were brought up in the electronic era and if fuckin' video games were a job, they'de all be fuckin millionares. the last kid i brought up through the ranks is still with me, and he turned out to be a decent bodyman, but his brother (a cop), told him he should'nt be working this hard and should become a cop like him. and the kid is actually thinking about it! nothing wrong with that, but nobody wants to stay in this business anymore and it's only going to get worse before it gets better! like i said, were a dying breed. all you young guys out there that want to do this, i applaud you, just make sure it's what you really want to do, and stick with it, case it's definitly worth it! just my last .02. thanks

7. rainh8r

rainh8r

After the service I went to college, got my degree, and then went to work running dad's body shop. Went from there to the parts dept. of a mortorcycle dealer for 8 years and then into the construction industry. I've hired lots of people over the years and now I know that you look for the person and not the credentials. I'd rather find someone with a passion for the job than all the degrees and certs that can be printed. I realized I couldn't have been a help to anyone in the finance business after school and so I went where I could do some good. School really only acts as a tool to familarize someone with the subject and to weed out those that don't care. It's very easy to get good grades in school and not have a clue about how to do a job-I've been on both sides of that. Look for the person. It's a hard reality for some, but it can be a great thing for others who may not have the perfect scores, but really want to get involved. A good attitude, interest, and attendence are crucial to a new job, and everyone going into a trade school should understand that first.

8. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I went to a vocational school for auto mechanics.And after school I worked for a neighbor at his garage/ bodyshop.I learned more from him than I did at school.He would always ask what I was learning and teach me everything he could on that subject so I could blow the teacher away.I still use everything he taught me.I think I owe him some money. His saying was "Do it right the first time" And "Pay attention" I don't know were this was suppose to go.But I learned more hands on than I did reading it in a book.

9. old1946truck

old1946truck

This is a question I was kinda wanting to ask on here if you didnt go to tech school and work in a auto/body shop and you were not crazy about cars. What would you do because I really dont know theres really nothing that I would like to do. Othere than work in the auto industery.

10. ebbytheb
    Ihear

11. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Eddytheb, I have had a "different" experience relating to Wyotech. I graduated from the one in PA. I was lucky enough to have some of the best instructors...for the collision and refinishing anyway. They cared if you learned something and even gave you serious dents to practice on if you want. That was the thing, most of the kids didn't want to learn. There were A LOT of kids who would go to class drunk or high and didn't care if they learned a thing. It was a real shame because it seems that the instructors become jaded and think, "Well, I'm getting paid either way." I know in Street Rod, there wasn't a lot they would let you "finish". The school is supposed to care if you get employed or not, but they don't. The last few jobs I applied for wouldn't hire me because they had had bad experiences with past "TECHers". The one job I did get, was just before the "market" went down and it was at a Ford dealership. The guy new my Coll & Ref instructors personally and my instructors gave me a great review when he called them. However, while I was detailing cars and taking out the trash for three months, they hired a younger kid who just got out of a local vocational as a secondary painter. This was far away from where I live now (with the parents) and I didn't have the funds to spin my wheels while the "available jobs" were getting passed along so I quit. Now, I don't think I can wash the hell out of a car, but I kinda felt betrayed. The school may not care what you learn, but some of the kids do. I for one did, but now I can't find a job thanks to the idiots that didn't learn and now mommy and daddy want to know what the hell they spent soo much money on.

I forgot what my point was when I started but let me say this. I does depend on the grad. They need to realize they won't make a killing and won't be wealthy...like some of the reps make it out. I understand and have understood that a mechanic and bodyman is a glamorous life, but I can't even get THAT thanks to these guys. Looks like its Mickey D's for me. Keep plugging away on these guys though, I know that there are a few good ones but they get spread REAL thin. Thanks for your time.

Brian

12. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its not so much the school as it is the student. They only get out of it what they put into it. You cant teach somebody that doesnt want to learn

There alot of people that attend this school that have no ability at all but because they paid the teachers are supposed to be nice and not give them a reality check. it does seem like it is all about the money with the schools. But you do get what you put in like i said I dont expect to get the high paing job right out of school. alos students have to sign a dicloser agreement for employers to acsess there student records.

13. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

My sis was a headhunter, specializing in engineers. We have a local tech college which is touted as being THE place to go if you want to be an engineer. Her company wouldnt touch any graduates of that school because they had no real world experience. Cant learn everything from a book.

14. ebbytheb
    I hear ya. I too have no sympathy for that type. I used to just roll their tool box up to the big bay door. Never had one ask why or if . They knew. Still if a guy wanted to learn and wasnt one of those deadbeats I could go a long way. I am sure you would to but dead beats are dead beats. I agree. We have raised a generation of woosies. Back when I was starting out you wanted to prove you were a man and would work your tail off trying to keep up with the seasoned pros. You arrived early, left late, made a point of being the first back to your stall from coffee break and only stayed home of they sent you home after you went in sick. You read everything you could on what you were doing, asked a million questions and endevoured to do your best. Now if they dont show they say "I had other plans." Really?" I usually had plans for them too right then.
    I was a service manager for several years which is where I got my grey hair. I remember one guy I hired who is now working ssuccessfully in Baltimore Maryland . He was a young fellow and seemd to be a decent guy. He was installing a trailer hitch on the hoist and was talking while drilling. When the drill bit caught like they always do he punched himself smartly in the mouth with his fist as the drill grabbed. No blood no big deal but he was ready to go home and retire for a week or so. He came to my office shortly after it happened knowing I had seen it. "Do you think i should go to the dentist" he asked? "Is you tooth loose?" I asked. "No" was the reply. I showed him the almost 4 inch scar in my hand and told how after the stitches i had worked the whole shift 830 to 5 . I didnt say no but I made clear what i thought about his"medical emergency".. The next morning he came in. he had been talking with his wife a legal secreatary. I am going to see an orthandontist he told me "I could possibly lose all my teeth." (Since I had injured myself many times the same way in my career and still had all my teeth my patience was running low. I was also trying to deal with an unreasonable customer at the time which didnt help.) I told him in a low strong voice. "Do you know where we keep the garbage bin in the back room?" He nodded. ""Well," i said ,"You go back there and wait for me while i deal with this customer then I will come back and I WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO GO TO THE ORTHANDONTIST FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Instant healing. His pain was gone , his face flushed red and I never heard another word about it. Nowadays i suppose i would have wound up in court or jail but this was early eighties before the world went nuts. Still i often think about how people have changed since the old days. Anyway. I feel your pain and understand you have a business to run not a social centre. I guess to be honest i was a tough old fart of a boss. They used to call me Adolf something. Not a very nice name but i loved them all like they were my own kids.
    Don

15. old1946truck

old1946truck

I'm not saying I'm a pro student but I am a greenhorn and screw up and make mistakes. But I know its because I'm new to the trade and had hardly no mechanical experience before I came into the industry. And I do have to agree with every one on here you dont learn everything in school you get all your experence on the job.

16. bill1953

bill1953

I've read over this thread and it could not have come at a better time..My son has 1 more year in high school and has been talking about going to one of these schools. I think mostly because of T.V. ads and their appeal. A recruiter came from Nashville auto and diesel and talked a good game. Does anyone know anything about this school good or bad? I will have him read this thread this weekend when I get home..Thanks ..

17. eddytheb

eddytheb

Ok how much should I pay some young dreamer an hour and how much broken stuff should I pay for to train one that may not stay or get it. I sure cant put it on my customers bill can I LOL

18. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

The thing that is missing is right here on this board its the drive to learn and want to make something look like you see it in your dreams not just to have the tools and a piece of paper that you can look at and say i can do that. I went to a trade school and fenderless was my instuctor and i learned alot of the finer points of hammer and dolly work and we always didn't get along but i learned some problem solving skills but i took what i learned and developed my own methods and i have had to learn alot by the seat of my pants thats why there are places like metalmeet and metalshapers those events that are held are priceless. We have tried to hire some old experenced guys that are just as bad as graduates so i guess is a crap shoot if ya get a new guy that is good and wants to learn your ahead of alot of shops alright rant over with.

Patman

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Well stated. As for a choice, if I were running a shop again, I'd rather have a new guy with no bad habits that I could train than an "expert".:eek:

20. eddytheb

eddytheb

Here's what you do find the best shop in your area have a sit down with the owner offer to pay your son to learn in his shop. Budget half the money the school wants for his pay check every week and let him lose in the real world. Keep an open dialog with the shop owner and if he don't see the spark in your son look into other things for him or a different shop you will not spend all that money and find out after its all gone it was a waist.

21. Cshabang

Cshabang

I graduated from Wyotech and built hot rods for a living, and even though I left, I still do, and now I'm a fabricator full time...then again, I also walked in there expecting nothing but what i was there to do...you know, LEARN...

22. MP&C

MP&C

Minimum wage is $6.55. I'd start someone out at 8 to 10 an hour (hey, it's more than McD's is paying) and give them a raise in a couple months when they can show the drive, determination, and skills you're looking for. Another thing to weed some out would be to keep a pile of bent fenders out back and let someone take a test when they show up for employment....here take this dent out......see how well they do.

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

My question/s to him would be; If you want to invest $20,000 toward your life's work, and it's for certain automotive maintenance, why not rent a building and start your own shop? In the time it would have taken to go to one of those schools, along with the money spent, you will know if it's going to work out. In the end, either way, you're going to be out the 10k

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  24. jerseymike

jerseymike

maybe i can give a different view. i'm 45 years old and a life long car lover. after being a union autoworker for 22 years i lost my job to job cuts. i always worked on my own hotrods but had no formal training and always wanted to do more custom body fab. i decided to go to trade school. about 95% of the students are just out of high school and away from home for the first time and are more interested in partying than learning. add to that very few people at that age know what they really want to do for the rest of there life and they quickly realize this might not be it. as far as the school being realistic, you are told you will only be capable of entry level positions. the base program for auto body is 6 mos. how can you be more than entry level learning autobody, welding, frame straightening, painting and detailing etc.etc.etc. in 6 mos? trade school is the same as college, some people go to learn and some go just so they don't have to get a job yet. as far as not throwing them out, like college it is still a buisness and if it doesn't make money it can't survive. like all things, you get out of it what you put into it. i'd do it again. mike

25. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

We have a high school kid that we pay minimum he wants to do this stuff but he is a little gunshy witch is a good thing but i don't think its ever gonna turn into a profession for him so pay em what you think is fair for thier ability levele.

patman

26. eddytheb

eddytheb

Because you cant practice and charg customers for work if you dont know or have the experience to pull it off

27. rusty48

rusty48

I think the worst thing a kid can do is go from high school straight to college without ever haveing a job of somekind,anything McDonalds,grocery store whatever but they need to know what the real world is like.

28. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

I teach at a High School Vocational school and I have a lot of students that attend these schools. A large percentage of students that complete these programs come out with a lot of knowledge and good paying jobs. I tell my students when they sign up you will only get out of the class what you put into it. Some student think they will open up their head and stuff all of this knowledge in. Just about all of my student graduate with very good grades and good paying jobs. Just because someone attends these schools does not replace experience but they should have the basic skills to mold a good employee. The students mother that was ripping the employer a new one because that student failed is what is wrong with that student mommy is taking up for him. You know Mommy's little baby. If you are trying to hire from one of these schools you need to be friends with the instructors they always need advisory members and you can get the best students. Students that can not complete simple task should not pass. Vocational Education makes for a great career not a job. But experience is what you need succeed. It is hard tell tell a student that has trouble learning that they failed but you have to do that some times. Some have it some do not.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  29. havi

havi

Pretty much. The young ones went to a party after class was done for the day, I went to work. Full time student and full time employee. part time sleep, lol. I used my GI Bill too.

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

That's all some people need, is to have somebody tell them they 'can't':D

In my circle of friends I know more self-trained mechanics/welders than you could shake a stick at. One don't need to start a full blown shop, I know a guy that started out detailing cars in a vacant lot. He worked it up to doing flats and oil changes and the like. Now, less than 20 years later he is overhauling motors and I don't know what-all.