Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Coupster on '32 Rails Updated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dyce, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Dyce

Dyce

I started on the body last year. I installed a '40 Chevy dash and built the windsheild last summer. Here are some pictures of the body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the dash.
    [​IMG]
    The frame I picked up had the frame horns cut off. To boot the front section had some cracks repaired with rusty 1/2" plate. I decided to make new front sections.
    [​IMG]
    I had another frame to take patterns off of, so I made the patterns out of 1/4 plywood to use as a guide for the plasma cutter. Then I just welded the front section together three peices per side.
    [​IMG]
    I used angle to keep everything lined up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next I boxed the front and rear and installed model a crossmembers.
    [​IMG]
    I made a x-member out of 11ga steel I had bent into a 5x2" channel.
    I made this die set to bevel the exhaust holes in the x-member. It adds strength and looks nicer to boot.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is welded in.
    [​IMG]
    Next will be the subrails.

Dryclutch, Nailhead A-V8, bct and 6 others like this.
  2. Nice job !!!!

Dyce likes this.
  3. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Nice

Dyce likes this.
  4. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Did you make the windsheild from scratch or have something to start with? Looks good.

Dyce likes this.

5. Show us more!

Dyce likes this.
  6. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Cool Project...I'm doing a roadster on 32 rails and love the way an A looks on duece rails..best of luck

Jerry

Dyce likes this.
  7. Dyce

Dyce

I made it from scratch. I started out with 3/16 sheet steel. I mocked it up and layed it out until I liked the look.
    [​IMG]
    Then I made a frame from 3/16 flat. Here it is before I cut holes for glass.
    [​IMG]
    Then I trimmed it out with 19 gage steel. I made dies for my truedge shear (pullmax style machine) to make the outside trim.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Once I had the trim made and the holes for the glass cut I glued the trim to the frame. The trim also wraps around the frame, and I hammered it around after it was glued.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It took some time but I got the look I was looking for. The glass opening is close to the '40 chevy the dash came from.
    Jeff

joey7508, Stogy and Tim like this.
  8. Dyce

Dyce

I like the look too. Here I set the body on after I trimmed the original subrails to get a plan.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  9. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Iam working on the same project!

How did you do the door tops and the tops of the quarters where the top was cut off? Iam need to figure out a "cleaner" way.

Thanks,

Tom

Dyce likes this.
  10. Dyce

Dyce

I formed the top of the quarters with the truedge. Here is a link to some pictures I uploaded to photobucket http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/tt5/Jdyce01/?start=all
    I cut them down a little, narrowed them at the top, and capped them off.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is anouther picture of the rear quarter. I may have more on a different computer.
    [​IMG]

Tom do You have any pictures posted on your project?

Jeff

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Dyce

Dyce

Tom I found your album with the coupster. Looks good!! I thought about doing my rear quarters like yours, but I don't plan on running the '32 tank so I left them alone. I'll get a picture of the rear body filler on mine next time I'm out at the shop. I added more bracing in mine and it really stiffened things up. Just getting it mounted to the frame helped a bunch.
    Jeff

12. Dyce

Dyce

I made the subrails out of 2"x3/4" tubing. Then I made blocks out of 3/4"x2" solid steel to weld in the tubing so I would have a nice solid mount. I also drilled and tapped some 7/8 rod and made bungs to weld in the frame.
    [​IMG]
    The cross peices I put on the subrails is just holding it all together for now. I'll likly have to redo them when I finish the floor.
    [​IMG]
    The 3/4 fit the door plates and subrails in the rear quarters really good.
    [​IMG]
    I made these sluggs to weld in the cowl to tie the jam support to the plate I put under the body.

Here is the how I tied the rear together too. And yes I have some grinding to do:rolleyes: The weld going across in the rear is where I had to notch it to put a little bend in the tubing so it would line up with the frame.
    [​IMG]
    Then I made a new peice like the original to box it in. I also put the original braces back in.
    [​IMG]
    The body is solid as a rock now, and the tubing is 16ga so there is still enough flex to shim and fit doors.

Stogy and popawolf like this.
  13. Dyce

Dyce

Here is the picture I missed of the front cowl mounts.
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  14. Dyce

Dyce

I didn't mention. The bench I used on the frame has a 1/2" plate top. I have holes drilled in it drilled and tapped the running board mounting holes bolt into to keep the dementions and make sure everything stayed square. It's channeled 1" over the frame.

I put a '32 grillshell on it today and it's a little high and didn't look right. I may fab a custom grill. Anyone see a grill that looked right with horizontal bars? I'm thinking about modifying a '40 Chevy grill keeping the chin peice and hood nose. The picture in my head looks good.

Stogy likes this.
  15. 6inarow

6inarow

You are too much like your dad

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    Dyce likes this.
  16. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Nice job man. That windshield is awesome!!

Dyce likes this.
  17. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

18. Elrod

Elrod

Very cool. I like how you're doing the subrails.

Dyce likes this.
  19. 18n57

18n57

Nice, I gotta get down there to see it in person.........why the '40 Chev influences ??:rolleyes:

Dyce likes this.
  20. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That die set is a great idea, makes a real nice job of it.Probably use it more too...

Dyce likes this.
  21. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really nice work , I've thought about making a similar winshield frame for my 30 roadster. But I want to drive it first and my body came w/stock one,so that will be later on down the rd.

Dyce likes this.
  22. Dyce

Dyce

That's why I made it. I figgured I would have it for future projects. I started out making it so I could draw it in with bolts but I didn't have enough clearance built it and I bent the top die.

Then pressed it straight again and braced it up. After I had enough clearance, it went real easy. It could be drawn in with bolts real easy. Then it could be done right on the car if you wanted to.

23. Dyce

Dyce

Thanks Tom!! I just wish he could come down and help..... I can hear him though "Jeff do you really need a hemi in that?" :D

24. 6inarow

6inarow

yes, he would say that - but with a smirk like he always had.

25. Anderson

Anderson

Very nice work!!!

Dyce likes this.
  26. Dyce

Dyce

You have to ask:eek:. Weakness of mine I suppose. You should come down. And bring the roadster door. You have dies made yet?

27. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

AWESOME windshield frame! Nice job! Tons of work, I'm sure, but it looks incredible...And, thanks for posting such great pictures! I'm also working on a Coupster, so thanks for the ideas and inspiration...

Dyce likes this.
  28. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Dyce, Great lookin' ''A'' you have there, great workmanship too!

Nick.

Dyce likes this.
  29. 6inarow

6inarow

can I come and watch????

30. theladylux

theladylux

Looks sweet!!! I'm jealous.

Dyce likes this.