Register now to get rid of these ads!

You down with o.p.p. ?!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Not what you were thinking, but OTHER. PEOPLE'S. PATCH PANELS. Fun stuff, finding other's fucked up fixes.

100_0152.jpg

100_0157.jpg

100_0158.jpg

2. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

A couple more, same fender!

100_0160.jpg

100_0165.jpg

100_0166.jpg

3. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

dang, hope the whole car aint like that....well better to find out now instead of later

4. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

The rusted areas are typical on F1 front fenders. The problem was that the guy welded a panel over the existing cancer, instead of removing the rust and but welding the patch. Traping rust doesn't fix a damn thing.

5. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

idiots of course...

6. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

any pics of your entire whip??? i mean the car...

7. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe your guy was absent the day in auto shop where they talked about cutting out the rusty part.

This is what teh bottom 8 inches of my 39 looked like...
    [​IMG]

-Abone.

9. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

my model a coupe had layers of galvanized tin bondo and tar!!! i wished i would of taken picks of it.

10. Racewriter

Racewriter

Dealing with that right now on my '67 Charger. GALVANIZED steel, pop riveted over rusty spots, and bondo'd.

11. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

While perhaps not the strangest "repair" I've ever encountered, I'm pretty sure the one I found done on a pair of '48 Cadillac rear fenders was the weirdest. I bought the fenders at Carlisle basically for the die cast chevrons and for the tailights. The rest of the fenders were scrap. When I picked the fenders up after paying for them they seemed awfully heavy. It was only after I got them home and started an investigation that I learned that the fenders had been repaired right below the tailights in the area where the chevrons were. As I hammered and poked around I found that the material used to fix the rot was, of all things, concrete! Yep, the guy had mixed up a batch of Portland and had trowelled it in place. He smoothed the front side and then painted the repair BLACK. From the front side it was a nice job. Must have been 10 pounds of that stuff in there...

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"As I hammered and poked around I found that the material used to fix the rot was, of all things, concrete! Yep, the guy had mixed up a batch of Portland and had trowelled it in place."

I think I saw that one on tech week

13. This looks like repairs typically made back in the early 60's when people first started using bondo and every high school kid thought they could be a body man.
    Kinda like that,I once bought a 58 Corvette that was really heavy in the front fender area.Some dummy had bondo on the front fenders a good 2 inches thick,no joke.

14. inliner54

inliner54

I work for a Peterbilt & GMC dealer in the body shop and we restored the president of the companys 39 chev sedan, it looked about like that real butchered. They had a couple of old hillbillies start on it and they screwed it up even worse. Finally me and another guy had to fix all the bad body work in it. A REAL NIGHTMARE!!! So I know how you feel.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  15. Squablow

Squablow

Sad part is if the first guy would have taken the time to cut the rust out that could have been a passable repair. Most crappy fixes don't involve a welder, some don't even involve steel.

16. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

17. conceptfab

conceptfab

Sad but that's the standard nowadays with an overwhelming percentage of body shops. All real body shops uncover this stuff and fix it the right way. The rest give a quote and then cover it with _____, you fill in the blank with what you've uncovered. Many others uncover the crap and then show the owner for the ooh and ahh factor. After they have the customer's confidence, then they do the same thing they just uncovered. I have a car at the shop right now that had some campaign signs, road tar and bondo for floors. The quarters were layered with sheet metal tack welded, tarred and bondo'd. I took so much weight off the passenger side quarter, the car actually leaned when I was through!

18. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I wanted to mention you, and the things I have seen you encounter. Just didn't know how you would take it. I will post the proper repair when I get into it I just started the removal of the bondo and crap. The other fender has the same treatment. Jay

19. I found bondo over some good size rust holes in my floor last week. I'm not ever sure how they manager to spread the stuff over holes that size and not end up with it all on the floor.

20. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

So, I've started to work on fixing the fuck ups. I cut the rust out and made a pattern out of paper to make the patch sheet out of.

100_0169.jpg

Then I transfered the pattern onto sheet metal and cut the patch out. I still need to do a bit of shaping but it fits well.

100_0173.jpg

I haven't started welding the patch yet, because of the cause of the rust. A reinforcement that allowed water to be trapped against the back side of the fender. I plan on getting my hands on one of those "spot sandblasters" and getting rid of the rust and painting the reinforcement piece before replacing the panel. Then following I will seal the gap with automotive panel sealant.

100_0181.jpg

Attached Files:

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

No duck tape?

22. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

DUDE, I ran out!! LOL!

23. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

100_0170.jpg
    so, I made a pattern, then cut it out of sheet. Then a few rolls in the english wheel.
    100_0185.jpg
    Lay it in place after attaching the fender, just to make sure all of the body panel will line up.
    100_0207.jpg
    A few welds, and a bit of grinding and BAM!!! ON TO THE OTHER SIDE!!!!

24. Hey, looking good! I went through the same thing on my front cap. I drilled out the spotwelds on the reinforcing pieces. If I had it to do over I'd do it the way you are. Leave 'em in place and blast them. What's the final finish/color?

25. Worst I ever saw was on a Jaguar MKIX - a shop rag soaked in bondo and pushed into the backside of a rust-holed fender. I know the car to this day, the rag's still there...
    Cosmo

26. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I do Toyota Landcruiser Restorations. We get some pretty bad ones come throught eh shop. On this FJ40, I stripped it down with the intentions of replacing the rear quarters. Needless to say, the customer opted for an aluminum tub replacement.

After stripping the paint & 3/8" thick bondo & glass filler off the driver's side quarter revealed a Georgia State Patch Panel attached with wood screws...
    [​IMG]

"DANZY" was a fine metal man...
    [​IMG]

Beneath the panel...
    [​IMG]

Pass side was no better...
    [​IMG]

Inner sill brace...
    [​IMG]

The 4" tall pile of filler from the driver's rear quarter...
    [​IMG]

Went from "can you repair the rust" to a full body-off restoration & aluminum tub, it's still awaiting the tub...
    [​IMG]

27. Gator

Gator

I had to reskin the quarters on a GTO I bought a while back. They'd cut away the old quarter about halfway up, pounded it down, then riveted on a new panel. They covered that with bondo nearly 2 inches thick.

I also had to redo a '57 Chevy truck once someone had put cab corners in. the sheet metal was blue from the welds 2-3 inches past the patch and it was terribly warped. Again, a nice thinck coat of bondo covered that.

28. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

some artist sculpted the bottom of the fenders on my 59 gmc wit kitty hair, as well as some other areas, didnt even finish it wicch was fine cause you could see were it all was.

a buddy of mine got a 57 chevy years ago and the top of the rear quarters were giant chunks of bondo,

29. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I was at a job site one day and a dry wall contractor was using drywall screws to attach aluminum expanded metal over the side of his bashed in truck. After he finished that he took plaster and smoothed it over the dent. The guy working with me asked him in Spanish why he was doing that he said the police are bad about pulling trucks over with body damage. We laughed for days about that plaster WTF is wrong with people.

30. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

O.K., I'm back at it. I finally got my E.M.S. patch panel in the mail. Here's the jist of it. The fitment of the panels is not "RITE-FIT" as they advertise. But, none the less with a bit of work they fixed the problems.

First off the flange on the interior was 3/4" instead of 1 1/8" wide. I had to weld a strip to be able to drill the mounting hole in the correct location.

Picture 003.jpg

Once this was done, the panel was not the correct dimension. I had to cut the outer "lip" (radius) from the old panel and weld it in to correct the offset. Like I said it did the job.

Going from this.

100_0165.jpg

To this.

Picture 002.jpg