Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever see such a mess

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badlefihand, Feb 14, 2009.

1. badlefihand

badlefihand

AGGGGGh,Ever see such a mess? Enough to drive a guy nuts.Venting a bit.

Attached Files:

2. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

How did you get a picture of my wiring?:D

3. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Rip it all out and start from scratch. Or, get one of those pre-made wiring harnesses. This time, however, plan your routing and do it up real clean like. Good luck! :D

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That can be cleaned up, looks like someone put a harness in there, I can see what looks like a decent fuse box. A little patience and you can have that cleaned up pretty easy.

5. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Ditto on what Zman said. Little time and patience and you can clean that right up.
    Fitysix

6. Mine looks the same way haha, just rip it out thats what I'm gonna do. Keep all your leads going out to lights and such and just re-do the rest.
    -Dean

7. chevyshack

chevyshack

Looks better than mine. My wiring is a combination of the old O.E wiring and alot of other wiring someone spliced in. I going to rip it all out and start over before i have a fire.

8. badlefihand

badlefihand

Got it under control after a couple of days searching the HAMB and other sites,found painless site and it cleared up most questions.For the average guy who is not an auto electrican starting wire project can send a guy in the house for the bottle.Some times I wonder how these things even run after all that is done to gettum together.

9. oj

oj

The real question is 'do i cut the red one or the blue?'

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I don't see any smoke...:D

11. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

It's always the red one. good luck.

12. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

looks like just an afternoon of work and it will be fine... Of course I love wiring ...
    Dave

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

make sure you read zmans post about the fire in his buick.

good info there...

14. That's a snap after seeing some of the crap I've been working on.
    Like 9 different pieces of wire joined together to make a 6 inch connection?

15. badlefihand

badlefihand

For all who struggle as I do with wiring.The Painless site is a great help,regardless what harness is used.There are others that are good but their site seems to be one of the better.

16. txag01

txag01

Are you going to change the column mount? Are you going to put a shroud on the column to cover the mount, wiring, etc? My car came with a 70's caddy tilt/telescopic column already installed, and I am trying to figure out how to make it look like less of an eye sore.

17. Not only have I seen worse,I've tried to work w/worse.One car that I had was wired w/red & black wires.The whole damn car every wire was either red or black.
    Tearing all of it out & replacing it w/a painless kit was the most fun I ever had w/wiring.

18. badlefihand

badlefihand

19. Jaker

Jaker

It could be worse... the wires could all be the same color!!

20. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

When I wired my old '48 Chevy pickup I built my own harness. It started out looking great, but as I added new circuits later on things started to get messy. At least I kept a diagram of what went where.
    My Essex will be rewired eventually and will be done alot neater.

21. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

A buddy of mine years ago wired his '39 coupe one weekend (had to have it going) with one big spool of lime green wire, its all he had. red car with a whole buch of lime green wire under the dash. We laugh about it still today. He's runs a plumbing and electrical buisness now.

22. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Ive seen waaaayyyy worse than that...easy fix.

23. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Yes. Yes I have.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was the wiring in my '62 C10 when I got it.

24. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

it can be straightened out just as easily as it was cobbed... one wire at a time. Even with a new kit, looking at a harness as a whole can be very overwhelming....i feel your pain

25. the fine coarse threaded bolts show some forethought as one is a slow to burn out vs fast ... Even self tappin love it ... Heck fuses are expensive!

SO A LITTLE PAPER WORK DIAGRAM LISTING WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHAT YOU NEED YET WILL HELP

A TEST LITE AND A BATTERY CHARGER .. FUSES
    CHART YER COLORS ,TAG EM.. AND SHORTEN AS YO GO

LENGTH AND PROPER GAUGE AND WIRE TYPE IS CRUCIAL ... MULTIPLE GROUND POINTS

I LIKE BULLET ENDS TO KEEP ITEMS STRAIGHT AND REVERSE ENDS SOMETIMES SO THINGS CAN ONLY GO BACK TOGETHER ONE WAY

THINK SEGMENTS AND REMOVABLE SECTIONS CHECK NAPA FOR ECHLIN MULTI CONNECTERS ,, AND SOME OLD EXTENTION CORDS FOR PREWRAPPED MULTI WIRE LENGTHS THAT WILL SHOW..

TRY NOT TO LEAVE TO MUCH EXTRA WIRE USE, ZIP TIES ,MUTI COLORED TAPE ,AND SHRINK TUBING HECK IT REALLY IS FUN IF YA CAN BE COMFORTABLE (NOT STANDING ON YER HEAD)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  26. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

That look worse then my 40 Ford pickup when I got it. Just make sure you get every thing fused or on a breaker.

Good luck

27. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I just yanked out the whole she-bang and put in a kit. I found an EZ2Wire kit on Ebay for $149 and then bought a butt-ton of connectors and went to town. Had the whole thing done in about 2 days.

28. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I just got done with a car that was rewired with #14 red wires above the floor and #18 black wires below the floor, yours looks like it just needs finishing touches.

29. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

thats nothing compared to last year! hahaha

[​IMG]

30. zbuickman

zbuickman

O/T but, yep :)

Attached Files: