Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh No!!! It Can't Be...Another Gasser Build? Yup, 1961 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. When are you building a modified? You need the 215!!!

BTW...what the hell are you doing here? You're supposed to be working on your car, damnit!!

BloodyKnuckles

2. Now you did it!!

Good to hear from you mang.

BloodyKnuckles

3. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I might have to visit it on Monday....

4. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Give Heather a big kiss for me for V day.

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

No, seriously....
    T-man's "jaguar indepepndent suspension" setup in a classic shoebox has had me thinking.... And I'v got this O/T turbocharged buick 350.

Unless it's a wrecked up rust-ball, I might honestly be interested.

6. You know I will.

BloodyKnuckles

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

what ya gonna do for a tranny? '61 is a dynaflow. Manual? ST400 or SP400?

8. When I get pics I'll PM you.

BloodyKnuckles

9. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Thanks, I'll look forward to it!!!!

10. I'm not 100% on which tranny it is yet but was told it was on a rack and they went through all the gears??? I haven't done my homework on which trannys came in the Electras.

Do you know?

**Duh, I just re-read your post. I would be very interested in the SP400 deal.

BloodyKnuckles

11. busting Dave's balls i like that

although that twin intake would look cool in a sertin OT car i know of....

12. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Saw a tranny uptown the other day.....wasn't too shure about it either.

13. Did it have a gear shift? :eek: (now that's fuckin gay..)

BloodyKnuckles

14. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Didn't stop to check it out.....didn't want to.
    You gonna go to the Run to the Sun with us this year?

15. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

SP-400 would be cool... TH-400 with a brake would be more fun!

16. Believe me, I'm open to all suggestions.

I think I had Heather talked into a manual but I'm going to have to talk her into it again. I was really thinking it may just be better with an auto for simplicity reasons with her. I want her to feel very comfortable driving it.

Russ, I don't know yet. I'm a "last minuter".

BloodyKnuckles

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Uhhh.. do you know what a SP400 is? :eek: It is a TH400. Just has a switch pitch converter and the proper bellhousing pattern.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Manual could be way cool. Does it already have 3 pedals? If not an auto may be easier/simpler. We should be able to find you a SP400 if you need one. A manual setup can be had from Bendtsens or I have a factory one.

19. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I got a spare th350 in the car hole...

20. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Well, it's a little more complicated than just the converter... But yea, I know what it is... I was an engineer for GM's buick engine division for 20-some years. If there's anything you would like to know about the SP, just let me know. :p

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

ZING!!!

Sick him Pir8Darryl!!!

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not without an expensive adapter..

Then you should know better, have you ever had any apart? I think maybe you should take one apart, then put that nice later TH400 valve body in there. Hmmmm... I would think being a GM engineer you would know the later TH400 internals go right in there. You can swap a later TH400 valve body to get rid of the early style filter, they seem to be getting a bit expensive. Now maybe you are confusing the differences in the later TH400's with what they were in the mid 60's. I've got both the ST400 and the SP400 in the shop, if you'd like I can teach you a thing or two about them... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If he's gonna zing me he should know what he's talking about.
    At this point he's wrong... they are TH400's inside, the first TH400 were in 64 in Cadillac and the Buick, the Buicks were ST400's and SP400's the SP had a switch pitch converter. The dude ain't squirrel...

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Oh and if you do look for a ST400 or SP400 the 64 has a bunch of one year only parts, like the valave body. The 65-66 are better. Either one can be updated with later TH400 stuff if need be. And if you do go that way get the yoke as they are different than the regular TH400 yokes, though you can put a short tailshaft from a TH400 on there and use the standard yoke.

25. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Zman,
    You are absolutely right. They are one in the same. The SP just has a couple slightly different parts that "teach it a new trick".

And your also right that it's possible to put the SP pump and converter into a standart ST. I cant remember the exact details of the swap, but I think you have to drill a hole in the case to install the solenoid to activate the variable pitch stator. Your also correct in that a standard VB can go into an SP case.

I dont know how my comments were mis-interprited. I have owned about 5 or 6 SP-400's over the years, and I'v been inside of them. I know how they work and exactly what they do... I was just saying that IMHO, a trans brake would be more fun on a gasser style car than the ability to flash the converter for ~1200 rpm's over stock like a SP would... But it was just my opinion.

Oh, BTW, since we are on the subject, did you know [I'm sure you do] that the SP-300 2 speed automatic that was installed in small block buicks uses the exact same pump and converter, and it can be installed into a T-400 to create an SP. What's more, it has a smaller converter than the BB cars with a higher stall, so it's actually a little more desirable.

Zman, I know your one of the top dogs here on the HAMB, and I got nothing but respect for you... Oh, I need to take a moment to give you credit for the JAG suspension under the buick as well. I made a mistake and thought it was T-man..... See, I do have brain farts just like everyone else. :eek:

26. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I figured you could build one southern style. Hell just weld that IFS/to 2 pieces of 2x3 tubing, toss in a chey 10 bolt, put model T cowl, 2 VW seats and a tractor grill and you'll be done. :):):):):):):):)

When are we gonna see your ass down here again?

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm not always right. :p I apologize if I took your remarks out of context. It's the internet, what fun would it be if it never happened? Plus it's early, I'm just getting my coffee now.

A trans brake would be cool, and if he gets a ST that's the way to go, but man a SP hooked to the brake switch is pretty damn fun... :rolleyes:

top dog made me snort my coffee.. that's funny... Tman and I go way back... but please let's remember him for burning pigs, it's what he does best... :eek::D

28. Dave - the next Iron Lord SFCC meet is at the Charlotte Autofair - its our turn to travel. Where's your southern hospitality?

29. Yeah, bitch!

All this talk has got me all fired up! I can't wait to tear into the Electra. I'm going to see if my buddy will deliver it tomorrow.

Thanks for the discussion on the transmissions. I appreciate Zman and Pir8Darryl. Your info is great.

BloodyKnuckles

30. 4 speeds are so much fun - chicks legs look really good when they are driving them too. ill never forget debbie, she had a stick trans am and wore mini skirts all the time