Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Winter Project: Lincoln Zephyr Woodie Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj429, Feb 4, 2009.

1. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I am impressed, knowing what wood cost you've spent some big bucks on your project looks like about three trees so far, going to be a great looking ride keep us posted will do a Woodie thread soon.:D

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

WOW! Now I know what to do with the black walnut logs I have getting sawed up...

3. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Hey, that is a neat idea. I've never seen anybody do this before!

4. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I'm impressed.This is what legends are made of. Keep up the good work and pass your skills onto your little helper.

5. Wow, absolutely amazing. Cool idea with the PT hatch! I mean after all, didn't they use "new" parts on stuff back in the day? Wasn't part of it seeing what part from one car looked better on another car? WAY TO GO! That is amazing, I can't wait to see it finished. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of talent on the HAMB.

6. henryj429

henryj429

Love the comments guys, especially Ralph. I see that I need to re-stock the beer fridge in the shop.

The Hamb has influenced my vision on this car from when I started. I will be running stock hubcaps (they are gorgeous) on 16" steelies from Wheelsmith. The dash will be 100% stock with the gauges re-worked by classic instruments. I'll be using Gold as an accent color on the engine and interior - no chrome or billet. I have to give in a little on the interior though - I gotta have a Dan Weber leather job once in my life!

7. flathead fred

flathead fred

Holy crap, this is a beauty. It is humbling to see what comes out of the minds and hands of the HAMB.

8. henry29

henry29

Wow, I will be following along closely on this one, and I like the idea of the metal roof.
    I cant wait to see more pics.

9. Hats off to you. I would love to serve an apprenticeship in your garage. That is going to be a stunner and I will keep watching. Looks like you already have a little apprentice though. That smile is worth a million bucks.

10. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

WOW...I really like that so far....That is some very fine craftmanship.....

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like your project more and more now :D. Are you into wood boats perhaps? I have one, and need to do some long put off repairs, your woodworking skills give me something to shoot for. Seriously.

12. henryj429

henryj429

Here's a few pics of the metal work for a look at the earlier phase of the project:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the "Lincoln V10" script in the speedo!
    [​IMG]
    Damn, I even got the small pictures to work!

13. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

i want more pictures, this things incredible. the wood work looks amazing

14. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

Wow. What did you start with?

15. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

Very very cool.
    One question on the hatch- is there glass available for them without the defroster lines in it? thats the ONE thing that would bug me abut the final build...

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'd hook 'em up, complete with the wiper!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more more wow for the collection. As a guy who's wood working skills lean more towards firewood and sawdust that is really impressive. Great styling too.

18. henryj429

henryj429

A pic of the car "before is shown below". When I got this crazy woodie idea I started looking for an unusual car as a starting point. I answered an an in Hemmings for a 4 door Zephyr on the east Coast. It was being sold by the daughter of the original owner for $7000. Way to rich for my blood, as I didn't need (or want) a complete restorable car. I passed, but a month later I got a call that a rep from the Lincoln Zephyr club had looked at the car and it was deemed to rusty to restore. I quickly negotiated a $3000 price and the car was on its way to Minnesota.

Despite what you see in the picture, the car was RUSTY! I removed the running boards and rear fenders with bare hands. The headlight buckets fell out. The unibody structure was shot - with holes in the frame large enought to put your fist through. Perfect to cut up for a woodie! I actually used the cowl and frame from a $250 parts car and the original car provided only the roof, hood, side panels, one fender and all the neat Zephyr goodies. I researched the flathead V12 and determined that the best I could get was 200 horsepower for $10,000. 4500 lb and 200Hp is not a hot rod to me. So, the flathead was sold to a restorer fund the project.
    [​IMG]

And, I agree with the comment above. I hate the defroster wires in the rear window. Maybe a cheapie aftermarket replcemnt won't have them???

19. 8-Track

8-Track

Thats some great work! I cant wait to see more progress.

20. vonzaid

vonzaid

Awsome!! I wish you the best of luck. Can't wait to see the finished project.

21. Ralph

Ralph

Larry - Maybe some time spent with solvent and a razor blade would take care of the defroster lines. They were probably just printed on like silk screening. Aircraft stripper? worth a try, hmm?
    Ralph

22. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

great work. as a owner of a woodie that requires a bunch of wood work, I envy your ability to start from scratch and build as you go

24. good job you had that little guy there to tell you what to do,,top job

25. Wowcars

Wowcars

If this turns out like anything else you've built. It will be a stunner! I need to get my 3W into the shop!

26. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

great work , did you do any drawings of how you wanted it ?

or just wing it ?

Beaulieu

27. moefuzz

moefuzz

I wonder if all pt cruisers got the defroster?

Would a southern Cal or Florida Car have or need a defroster?

??

28. LabRat

LabRat

Thanks for sharing your vision and craftmanship !

29. To quote Jeff Labowski, "Dude I dig your style" :D
    Truly awesome build, you are a true craftsman. Just got the lates issue of Hemmings Classic car in the Mail. Had the whole story about the Alexander collection, of woodies. Based on all my hobbies, got to be one of the ulimate rides to own/build. Thanks for sharing.
    Also, IMHO, I see nothing wrong with using a PT Cruiser liftgate. That's what makes this hobby so great, utilizing misc. parts to fuel your vision. :cool:
    JT

30. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I've had my eye on this one for sometime now. Great progress. I thought your metal work was amazing but your wood work is gonna be even more amazing. Can't wait to see her done.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009