Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is the rarest car you have come across

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Aug 12, 2007.

1. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

found this in a freinds garage,4yrs later she was done ,now it sits in someone elses garage.one car i wish i kept.

Attached Files:

2. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Back in '03 I went to Laguna Seca for the Monetrey Vintage races, hoping to see just one of the Cobra Daytona Coupes. As it was I got to see four of the six ever made.

3. Back in the very early 50s I had a 1937 hupmobile aero coupe. Raymond Loewy designed. 3 piece windshield & teak garnish mouldings & rumble seat. Weighed 4200 lbs. straight 8 W/freewheeling. That's one I should have kept.

4. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

At the old Harrah museum they had the remains of a Stout Scarab, a mid-1930s car of the future, with a Ford V8 in the rear.

There's a Wiki page for the remaining 5 cars.

5. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

NSU PRINCE TINY GERMAN CAR ONLY SAW ONE no idea what year

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

There's one in a lot in Fontana. But I forgot just where. But honest it is there.

I have a hat just like that :)

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Diamond T Boattail Speedster.

Sad thing is no original motor, only a stupid 307 chebby

Attached Files:

8. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

9. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

And the other thing is, nobody ever says where they found these barn finds. Whats the difference if you already bought your car there,MAYBE there is one on the next farm over. Or the pics of field cars, barn finds, wherever.................TELL US WHERE YOU FOUND THOSE 20 CARS, are you going to buy them all? Or are you afraid that they told you the car IS NOT for sale & the next guy to see it gets on the owners nerves & he decides to sell it.

10. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Not rare at all,Very common and popular with the historic racers .
    And yes,the resemblance to the corvair was no accident. they copied the design for the NSU ( who also built the Rotary powered RO80)
    [​IMG]
    If you want one there is one for sale on craiglist.

11. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

About 25 years ago I stopped at a garage sale and there was an old Bizzarrini sitting in the corner of the garage. When I asked the old guy about it he said "We can talk if you got 80 grand"

12. Probably the rarest one I ever came across was one of the '42 Ford pickups with the 4 cylinder 9N tractor engine. That engine option was offered only in '41 and '42. Rare, and rare for a reason, but not as rare as they should have been.

13. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

You should have bought it,an unrestored Bizzarini Strada will cost you $250,000 starting price.
    Giotto Bizzarini is the guy who after leaving Ferrari ,where he helped develop engines,worked for lamborghini and designed the V12 . He then went to build his own cars and the ISO Rivoltas .

14. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I was selling farm equipment in Texarkana and was out delivering a new hay mower to the customers' farm. I drove by nothing more than a falling down lean-to and noticed a nice looking 30's something front fender. I said nothing to the farmer and was driving back out then decided to take a look. Just as I see the fender mounted spare tire, a truck pulled up with a dozer on it and stopped. We chatted for a minute and both went over to the car. It was what I we believe to be a '32 Auburn Coupe. The dozer guy went about unloading the dozer and I raced back to the farmer to inquire the car under his shed. Here's the unbelievable part, he told me if I could load it, I could have it. Went home and called Dad about helping me load the car. He drove from La. to Texarkana, Ar. the next morning. We got to the farm where we were met by the Farmer's brother who politely told us to get the hell out of there. The dozer had cleared all around the little shed by then, so my Dad and I checked it out closer. Not a speck of pitted rust or rot. Anyone here know what became of that Auburn from Texarkana? I'd like to know as I no longer live there. This happened in '97 or '98. I'm still sick over that, but at least I owned an Auburn for 17 hours though. Steven

15. Crestoloy

Crestoloy

Damn, talk about a stupid motherfucker. He made it look JUST LIKE a street-rodded '34 ford. What a waste of a good rare car. If he was going to turn it into an ugly billet-drenched, digital-gauged, climate-controlled pile of shit, why not use a repro steel body? It's absolutely stupid to rape an original for such a worthless cause, especially something that rare.

And to contribute to the thread, a 1918 (I think) Case. Yes, the same Case that still builds tractors today (albeit after many mergers and buyouts). This one is a 1920.

Attached Files:

16. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Had a 57 English Ford Squire wagon (woodie) back in the 60s. Now I have a Morris Minor woodie and a couple of rare Daihatsu Trimobiles (3 wheelers).

17. Sauli

Sauli

I always knew the Japanese never thought of anything on their own, now I know where they got their idea for their Datsun 240Z back in the ´70s...

18. GlenC

GlenC

I believe this is the only known example of a 34 Ford hearse in the world. It's right hand drive, an Aussie hotrod!

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

19. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i know where theres a borgward-lloyd delivery sedan, parked right next to where i got the buick from.

20. alsancle

alsancle

The cabin speedster is cool. There is a picture of it floating around showing what was left of it after the fire.

The 240z (the early ones are actually kinda cool) was a knock-off of the Jag E, no?

21. I owned a 65' Nova SS, V-8,4 spd. with factory A/C, supposedly 1 of 200 +/- made. Just looked at a 57' Chevy 150 Fuelie maybe 1 of 156 made, Calif. car. We are negotiating around 45K. Hope to barn hop it to my corral soon.:)

22. OK, not as rare as some, but I just bought a 56 Buick 60 Special two door sedan for $400.00. Only 38,000 built but mine has the 322 nailhead and STANDARD transmission. I don't have the numbers for the standard transmission option, but bet it is pretty rare. Don't get too excited about the "buy", it has been hit on all four corners ( original owner was a drunk ), but the engine and trans should make a pretty good hot rod power plant for my next project.

23. Redstar

Redstar

It Is A 1898 Hay hotchkiss

Attached Files:

24. Sauli

Sauli

Well I guess You could say that, too, now that You mentioned it. Just thought this roofline here bore an eerie similarity to that of the 1970s Datsun Z, couldn´t help thinking they must´ve had this car in mind at the time they penned that one up...

25. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Back in my "teaching days" in 1994, one of the guidance counselors turned me on to this "unusual" car that he knew was for sale. He didnt know what it was... just that the previous owner had built it from lots of parts from different cars. (Sounds like the John Cash song "One Piece at A Time"). The builder died and his wife wanted to sell it. So I check it out and it turns out to be this all steel hand-made car that was built from a 50s article in Popular Mechanics. It had a 40 Ford hood turned around for a boat-tail trunk, 38 Buick hood and front fenders, 48 Lincoln rear fenders, body/doors supposedly from some old roadster. It had a home made grill, cant remember what the head lights were. The entire body was steel with leaded joints. The chassis was supposedly a 40 Willys. It had a 40 Ford front axle and a Studebaker V-8 with a Stude 3 speed trans and rear end. The car did not run or have brakes and had been sitting for 12-15 years. Cosmeticly it was just as you see it in the pictures. I bought it after much diliberation for $3800. Took it home, put in a new 6 volt battery, rebuilt the master cylinder and it was a driver again! I sold it at the Kruse auction in Auburn Indiana for $6500. It now rests in a showroom in Elkhart, Indiana, about 10 blocks from where I originally bought it. I wish I had never sold it but at the time it was NOT cool, just wierd.

Attached Files:

26. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Not exactly. the nissan company were already selling their fairlady sports car well, so when a new model was decided they sent researchers all over the world with questionaires to ask car buffs what really turned them on. With this info they were able to join the styling dots so to speak,hence the sloping back,Kamm style butt,Ferrari style headlights ,long nose like a jag, penile extension subtlety if you like. Ferrari GTO quilted trans cover ,Ferrari GTO dash styling and on it went. The early 240Z/fairlady are a pure design and like humans went to fat in later life.
    There was German called Goertze who claimed he designed them but it was pure bullshit as he had never worked for Nissan .He is also famous for designing a nice BMW roadster but that is also open to question.

27. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

We restored a car called an Osca once. Little Italian ride. Body by Gia, Chassis by Fiat, engine by Masseratti and was a dual overhead cam with four carbs. The bodies were one off and hand beaten out of aluminum. Front end looked like an open mouth catfish. Supposedly only a few left.

We also did a 50 Buick special that was pulled out of a sand dune in Saudia Arabia and was done for the prince, guess it was pretty rare right down to the genuine camil hair seat covers. No bs.

Jon

28. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Was the OSCA you restored found in Des Moines Iowa? a little dual cockpit car that used to belong to Tom Daniels? That car was a couple of blocks from my inlaws house that is not in the best part of town. Tom did Jaguar repair out of a run down garage on the backside of an old gas station. He had a 1952 Jag XK120? coupe burried under stuff in the shop that had been there for years and the Maseratti engine sat on the floor by the door but the body was at his house in a garage that was ready to fall down a block south of his shop. I always wondered what became of that car? Forgot all about it until you mentioned it. Last time I saw the car was in the 80s

His shop was stuffed to the brim with Porsche and Jaguar parts and the local dealers would bring down the cars that they could not figure out for him to fix. He did broken block and cracked head repair and was a damn nice guy that helped me on my Desoto a couple of times. very good mechanic!

29. Reading through this thread again I thought of a car that a friend raced in the vintage roundy rounds. The car was a Lister, I don't know much about them but it was different, it was owned by an old alky funny car racer here in the Md. area. Now my curiosity has me going to look this one up!:cool:

30. There are a couple of Listers here in OKC. Raced on the vintage sports car circuit. Lister was produced in England and the ones I have seen have all had Jaguar engines. I have a picture of one in my hall way with Pete Smith ,an old friend who has passed away, who was a panel beater from England and repaired or made body panels as needed. I could sure use him for my pickup build......