Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 Galaxie Convertible early lowrider build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinticket, Feb 11, 2009.

1. sinticket

sinticket

Well to start off I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the early lowrider/bellflower cars of the 60's. A friend of mine stopped by my house with his 62 Buick and I made the mistake of sitting in it and really seeing how much freakin room they have...so I had to have a big bodied car. I have always liked the looks of the Galaxies of the early 60's and knew that was going to be what I had to have. So the quest began to look for a GOOD start for my project. After looking for a while I found a 62 convertible that STEPHENFIELDS here on the HAMB had. I talked with him a while, struck up a deal, Delton (HOTDAMN) and I flew to OHIO and drove it home to NC back in October. As we were coming down the road we talked about the stuff that I wanted to do to it. I was going to just put a new top on it, paint it, lower it and drive it. After getting home and parking it in the garage amazingly it jumped time and would not run worth a crap (after about a 467 mile trip in which it ran flawlessly)....so here is where the story really begins. I had my uncle (the famous UNCLE HAROLD) to come down and we messed with it for a while. Finally I decided, heck lets pull the motor rebuild it and paint it up nice, then that led to "since the cruise-o-matic is out, lets go ahead and rebuild it too. So now is a perfect time to get it painted..right? RIGHT! so now it goes over to Micheal Overcash's (BigO on the HAMB) to get painted. So I decided that I would get it painted, wait and do the interior next winter...WRONG! Because of Gaxlaies having a color matched dash this requires it to be painted therefore not matching the color of the interior and clashing like hell. So now I have an appointment at JB's (same guys that did the amazing job on my 31) for April 11th. Its getting white LEATHER real roll and pleat interior, new carpet, white convertible top, etc. I never ment for this car to go to this extreme but then again this is exactly what happened with my 31 also. "I CANT LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE! Its gonna be a really cool ride to hit the streets in. I hope to have it COMPLETED and driving around by summer. Here are a few pics of the buildup so far for you to enjoy. Let me know what you think. Updates will follow!

driving back from OHIO
    [​IMG]
    interior
    [​IMG]
    tearing out the interior and scraping the floors
    [​IMG]
    after the mayhem
    [​IMG]
    motor pulled
    [​IMG]
    motor before
    [​IMG]
    motor after the rebuild
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys and gals for taking the time to look at this!

2. sinticket

sinticket

Im going to pick up the transmission tonight!

3. Racewriter

Racewriter

Love those old Galaxies!

4. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Looks great!, what is next after you finish your current list?

5. Sweet, looking gooooood! keep us posted.

6. sinticket

sinticket

I already have 14" Astro Supremes, lowering it down quite a bit, I already have a disc brake kit coming for it (gotta stop this boat). LOT of other things in the works...I will keep updating as I go.

7. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Very clean luv the big verts Good luck!

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

thats a hell of a snowball that started with it not starting... but I can see that.

Really cool car. I know how the A came out... this one will be a winner for sure!

9. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

10. What about the hydros?:confused:

11. Dude, you NEED the louvered hood off my 61 ;) 8 rows, 144 total :cool:
    I'll be at Autofair....I can bring it with me...hahaha

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Damn! I'm really falling in love with those old Fords. There's been a lot of them posted lately,
    Beautiful car!

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you need to seek serious professional help dude... :D

nicely detailed mill. i dig these cars big time, and this should be sweet when done

14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

She's coming along nicely keep us updated.

15. Don't do discs, the headache isn't worth it on that car. I did it on my Merc, and I'm swapping drums back on. They worked back 47 years ago, and if you freshen everything up, since the laws of physics hasn't changed, they will still work. Besides, if you really want an early lowrider, they didn't have discs.

16. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

are you sure you can fit the disks with the 14" astros? i tried to convert my 60 pontiac over, but would have to run 15" wheels. where are you getting your kit?? oh,,,and i do LOVE me an early lowrider.....

17. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

You cant do discs with 14" rims on those cars. Ask me how i know. Luv the car. Check my Avatar. Im running a rebuilt 390 with the ci fmx 3 spd auto. I also rebuilt the tranny. Im puttin it up for sale in the summer for funds to restore my 54 merc.I cant afford to keep 2 cars and i put in way to much money into the galaxie. Ive put about 16-17k into it and did most of the work myself with the help of Chopped Olds.PS The drum brakes work great with all new lines,drums,w.c.s,& mc.

Attached Files:

18. S.F.

S.F.

WOW, you have just blown my mine. THAT IS NUTS!!!!! that old Y block looks good after the rebuild. I cant believe it jumped time it ran like a swiss army clock. Is it me or is that a white fan belt??? AM I seeing things? if it is white where can I get one?

I also keep forgetting to tell you I found those damn valve covers. Let me know if you still want them. Do you want to sell the generator back to me as well as those new tires????? That gen was just rebuilt.

THat will be a cool looking car when your done, I cant wait to see it!!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  19. S.F.

S.F.

Heres another picture of the car before being blown apart. with me driving it around the fairgrounds of the REBEL RUN in Lima Ohio.
    It was a damn good car to start with

Attached Files:

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool project - I'll look forward to the updates!

I used Granada spindles and disc brakes on my '62 and haven't had any problems. They do certainly work better than the rebuilt drums that were on the car.

Malcolm

21. sinticket

sinticket

There is a kit by Superior Brakes in Statesville NC, that will clear 14" wheels. I made sure before I made the purchase. I just really worried about stopping this boat. Its heavy as hell!

22. Dude, that engine looks killer!! I'm stoked for you. I can't wait to see it in paint. I think you need the Bellflowers.

BloodyKnuckles

23. unibody

unibody

I used 78 T-bird spindles and brakes on my 64 Galaxie, it was a direct swap and i'm running 14 in. Mickey Thompson 5 spokes with no problems. These brakes are still fairly easy to find for a good price. Hope this helps.

24. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

damn your uncle did a bang up job on that Y block!!!!

25. **UPDATE** The car got blasted today. The bondo you see is thin and in good condition so I didn't have it removed. The winshield came through in one piece. No suprieses. :D:D:D

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      73.1 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      80.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
  26. S.F.

S.F.

Your a maniac !! that car looks good in bare metal

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well alright then!!! I know this car is going to turn out awesome Dustin. I can't wait to see it come together.

28. sinticket

sinticket

LOL... I told you when I came and got it that there was going to be some changes :) I just didnt know I was going to go this damn far. You are about the 100th person that has called me a maniac because of my car projects...lol. Hell Im just having fun...cant wait till it is done! I am ready to drive it!!! I hope to have it DONE by Summer... could there be another project in the wings?;);):D Hell a mans got to have a way to stay out of trouble...right?

BTW Stephen...I would love to get a hold of those valve covers from you if possible. Thanks man!

29. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

nice!, i love the 62 models. ive been seeing alot on here as of late. i want one!

30. sinticket

sinticket

Lots more to come...such as hydros...and...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009