Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hollish Bros. Coupe (restoration shots)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike The Photo Guy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

Todd Schmidt is the current owner of the Hollish Bros. A Competition Coupe. This car won it’s class and set a record at the NHRA Nationals at Detroit dragway in 1959. They were runner up in Competition Eliminator at the same event. It had a best speed of 142.85 and a Low ET of 10.14 on Pump Gas.
    The Hollish Bros. from Akron Ohio were the builders and their driver was Jiggs Schamblin. You had to be Extra Special Crazy to drive this car at 142.85 mph.
    The engine is a 345 cube olds. The cam is a cast reground solid lifter Engle Blower Cam.
    The pistons are Jahn’s blower pistons. they had a thick crown and lower ring grooves. The crank is a stock Olds and it has stock rods too. The stock valves were lightened and polished on a lathe. The first set of valve covers were made with a torch and a ball peen hammer. The manifold was tig welded aluminum and blew apart on the first run. The rebuilt it a little thicker. The Blower is a 4-71 from Jerry Baker df Elyria Ohio. Jerry spent time in California with the Bean Bandits.
    The chassis was built by Scotty Fenn at Chassis Research.
    The Body is a 38 Bantam Panel Truck.
    The rear end is an Olds 3:73 ratio
    The trans is a Caddy-Lasalle late 30’s Vintage side shift.
    The back wheels are American Standard 8’s
    The front wheels are not what came on the car. Todd is searching for 18” Speed Sport Wheels.
    There’s many pictures of this car in racing trim. I’m getting a CD full of images from the owner. The trying to make it to Bowling Green this year. I’ll update the progress for you all.
    Mike TPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. That thing is wicked.

3. Holy shit!!!!!!! That thing is the epitome of WILD.

4. Awsome! They and Ottie Smith were the guys to beat back in the day in N.E. Ohio...Ever since I started doing all the research on the Lazy 8, I found them. I love their previous a coupe and will build my own version some day.....Please keep us up to date. I hope you make if for Bowling Green...Love to see it there!

5. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Just came in from the garage and opened this thread, WOW that is to fuckin cool! Makes me want to go back out and work now.Thanks for posting Rob

6. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great keep the pix coming

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

awesome. ugly as a two dollar whore, but awesome.
    Imagine the claustrophobia sitting in that as you cross the quarter mile line..

Extra Special Crazy WITH large cojones indeed.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Whoa! I just saw Jesus! Way way rad my friends.

9. moses

moses

oh hell ya chain driven blowers are wicked...jeffrey

10. Killer! That 'thing' looks like pure madness!

11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Cool, Ill be watching.

12. rick finch

rick finch

Jeez I remember photos of that car @ Indy way back when! You are doing a very cool thing bringing back another "one" from our history.:cool: Kudos, and I wish you guys the best! Rick

13. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

that is badass.keep the progress pics coming

14. So cool! Love it.

15. blackout

blackout

Great to see this first class restoration on a great car

16. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

Todd's got me on speed dial #2. I'll be shooting the progress till Bowling Green. Then we're going to do some feature shooting and a full story.
    Mike TPG

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bitchen! love the cool old speed goodies ! Good to see her getting back on the Track.

18. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

If anyone knows where we can find a set of 18" Speed Sport wheels, please call Mike Yoksich at 734-502-4425
    Thanks,
    Mike TPG

19. James427

James427
    BANNED

History..... Cool
    Engine...... Cool
    Chassis...... Cool
    Wheels....... Cool
    Body.......... UGLY!!!!

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks Mike for sharing the build here on the HAMB. Will you be traveling to Bowling Green to shoot the car going down the track and the other cars there?

21. Mike

Mike

Too bitchin'! I've always loved that car.

22. Great to see how the car is coming along. Comp coupes have had a special place in my heart for 45 years. Looking forward to seeing it and possibly running against it in Bowling Green or Beaver Springs.

23. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Butt ugly and bad ass...... Classic case of function over form. Very neat car, looking forward to the updates.

Rich

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've got some old video footage of that car.... glad to see it being revived.

25. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

I've got about 8 cars lined up for bowling green features. I'll be looking for a bunch more. It seems like a good hunting ground for Vintage race cars. I'm pitching a lot of story's this week. The magazines are low on budget, I might be sleeping in my car that weekend. Are you heading down there?
    Mike TPG

26. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

Beyond cool!!!

I like it, Mikey!

Can't wait to see it run...

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, got plans to drive Big Olds. It's one of my most favorite venues. I don't have plan of anyone riding with me at this point so if you'd like you can ride along to save some bucks. Megan might go if she doesn't head to the LA Roadster show in SoCal that weekend. She would drive her own car and meet me there. If your lovely bride would allow it, you could split our room with us to save even more $$.:D

28. Cool pics!! I love watching old race cars being restored, can't wait to see the next installment.

29. 303racer

303racer

great post, geat car
    I 2nd on the cant wait for updates

30. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

I know Todd will chime in. Not to mislead anyone, the engine is the only remaining part of Miscalculation II. I will let Todd tell the story of it's demise.

Great pictures Mike!!!!