Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Joe Bailon's Shoe @ Sac Autorama?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Feb 11, 2009.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Was the '49-'51shoebox Ford converted into the peekup, and shown at the Sac Autorama last week Joe Bailon's old truck? Anyone know the owner, and is a restoration planned? This truck has to be one of the coolist shoes ever built with the possible exception of Bill Hines first 'lil' Bat' or some built by the Clark Kaiser Kustom shop!

Thanx,
    Swankey Devils C.C.

" It's time for a nother Tea Party ! "

2. [​IMG]

This one?:D
    Yeah it was the same truck.
    Its for sale as it sits.
    I'd like more details on it, then and now. anyone? Rikster?

-Shiny

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Ah,yah! dat's the one!
    Some serious cool, there.
    Anyone?

Thanx

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party ! "

4. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

yep, it's the one Joe Bailon built and first appeared in the 1957 Roadster sShow. I talked to the owner for just a few minutes during setup day. he has had it for awhile and has no plans for restoration. It is for sale but he has set no price, instead he's taking offers. There's no motor or trans and needs a LOT of work.

5. A LOT of work....It could be VERY cool tho....49 Ford convertible originally...lot of work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tags were last renewed in 1970.....

6. I was blown away seeing it in the coverage of the show. Always liked that shoebox. Looks like it was sectioned too. Nice to see it is still around. Pat.

7. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Here is the story I was told by the current owner...Joe Bailon built it for the shampoo guy to use as a delivery vehicle..It was pretty worn out and just sitting when he was done with it.. The current owner tried to buy it from shampoo man.. Shampoo man said he would only sell it back to Joe Bailon.. Joe Bailon bought it back and sold it to current owner.. He said he has had it for like 16-20 years...No plans to restore it.. He would sell it but has no price set....Jason..

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

" Alot of work" as in needs alot of work, as in a gutted, badly rotted shell, with no power train, but 52 years of history?

You guys who saw it at the show, would this project turn into the old yarn about the ax Washington was to have cut down the cherry tree with......the handle having been changed out twice, maybe three times, the head twice for sure, but that's the " original " ax for sure?

Does the current owner seem sane?
    Thanx,

Swankey Devils C.C.

" It's time for another Tea Party ! "

9. A lot of work as in...It WAS a convertible car, now its a hardtop pickup....

A lot of work as in....been stored & neglected badly for many years...

10. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I didn't think it was that rough...yeah, it has a big rust hole in the floor and rust in the rockers and front fender bottoms, but I've fixed just as bad or worse on shoeboxes with NO history...haha. Oh, and for the record, George Washington never did cut down any cherry tree. Never been proven...and his teeth were made of whale bone not wood :)

I hope this old Bailon custom ends up in the right hands and gets the restoration it deserves. Seems to me that most of the major pieces to bring it back are intact, like the roof, bumpers, bed pieces, etc. You can find the rest.

PS- anybody else notice the tits on the grill on Miss Elegance in that pic? Must have been added later on...hmmm.

11. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Axle, I hope you get it man!