Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck Piston Rings: snake-oil suggestions please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michiganman061, Feb 12, 2009.

1. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

I'm working on a Studebaker pickup, resurrecting it from a very long 20+ year sleep. Finally got it running and it runs even and smooth, but it seems the oil rings are stuck from prolonged sleep, as it is a big-time smoker. Runs very sweet on all 8 cylinders, just smokes like a professional mosquito fogger.
    Judging from the spark plugs that came out, it was not a smoker when parked.

What snake-oil or home-brew suggestions you guys have?

At this rate I don't have much to loose trying, before a tear down. I know back in the day there used to be products like "Mcmillian Ring-Free" or "Risolone" - anything like these products today still around?

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Wal-Mart and Dollar General always have Marvel Mystery Oil on the shelf,buy 2 cans, evenly distribute 1 can down each spark plug hole and let sit at least 24 hours,take the other can and put 1/2 in gas other 1/2 in oil and take it for a 50+ mile drive down the highway,If that don't work get out the wrenches!:cool:

3. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Maybe valve seals are rotted that will make it smoke.

4. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

remove the plugs and pour ATF into each cylinder. Let it soak for a few days,then crank the engine on the stater to clear out any ATF pooled in the cylinders then install the plugs and let it run until hot. Once hot and running rev it up with the aircleaner off .
    When you rev it up ,use a spray bottle of water and spray a mist of water into the carb while you rev it hard. this will clear out crap from the combustion chamber and the ATF will unstick the rings. If it keeps smoking and it gives a good leak down reading,try the ATF or get some carb or brake clean in bulk. Fill each cylinder and let soak.
    GM actually make a product to do this on the LS7 engines which were showing signs of piston slap.
    If you use ATF it can leak into the oil pan and won't harm the engine ( actually does a lot of good ) but carb clean or brake clean requires you to drain the oil pan and use clean oil before restarting..

5. cactus zach

cactus zach

pour about 1 liter of desil in to a full fresh tank of high test gas 94 is fine and run it it helps
    use more desil but be wise about it dont do like a 1/4 mix desil gas maybe 2 liters MAX ona 15 gallon tank
    tryed and true method grand dad taught me it ressurected 4 engines so far it works real good

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I used to use Diesel But I found that ATF works better. I have mechanical fuel injection in my daily and ATF works great for keeping things working and it doesn't stink like diesel does when mixed with gasolene.

7. R Pope

R Pope

Try the ATF soak thing, then cover the rad with cardboard and drive it until it gets hot. Don't boil it, just really hot. Then pull the cardboard and cool it down. Heat/cool several times will break rusted rings loose if that's the problem, but it is pension age, probably needs reringing anyway.

8. Add a qt of Rislone to the engine oil, and get it warmed up...drive it around or at least sit in it and rev it up some. They'll unstick...

9. The Rislone is still available..."Shalers Rislone"

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

General Motors "Top Engine Cleaner" has always worked well for me.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

My .02 Marvel Mystery Oil !! 2 qts ,1 in pan about a tablespoon in each cylinder rest in gas tank. Run it for 10 minutes or so after adding to pan and tank. While warm put the MMO in the cylinders and leave sit 24-48 hours. Turn engine over a few times with plugs out ,install plugs and drive 25-50 miles with enough radiator covered to get/keep it at 180 or so.

12. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

thanks for the suggestions.

I've heard that Marvel Mystery Oil is nothing other then mineral spirits with some wintergreen oil for smell and hence the 'mystery part'. Wonder if it does any better then diesel or kerosene in reality?

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

ATF. And it will take time for the carbon to dissolve from around all the rings, not just the oil rings. Frequent oil changes over a period of 500 miles, if it still smokes, it might be sucking down past worn valve guides, seals are most likely toast. then, if that don't do it, like somebody said, live with it or get out the wrenches..........

14. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Ditto on the Marvel Mystery Oil!..............Give it 24-48 hours...it freed up a motorcycle engine for me and a 265 chev for my brother...Some good stuff that it is....great air tool oil too:D

15. Is It a V8? if so pull the valve covers and clean out the oil drain holes, they get full of sludge and it gets hard as a brick after a few years of sitting. If the oil cant drain properly it will go down your valve guides.