Register now to get rid of these ads!

Caddies,"standard of the world"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by williesplace, Oct 2, 2005.

1. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

The Caddy is cool, and the reg tag is even cooler.:cool:

2. here's my ol' 52 more door. Love this car.

Attached Files:

3. 53SledSleeve

53SledSleeve

Here's mine, a 68. Its for sale right now if anyone is or knows someone who's interested. 6 grand takes it.

Attached Files:

4. HoldFast

HoldFast

got any close ups of your rear doors? I've been milling some ideas over in my head and it looks like you did one of them.

5. laid55

laid55

laid 68'cruisin' in japan now.:D
    [​IMG]

6. 64deville

64deville

Heres the 64 Sedan de Ville and the 66 Calais I used to have.

Also if you like Cadillacs pick up the latest Hemmings Classic Car, its full of Cadillac articles.

Attached Files:

7. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'm posting this for fellow H.A.M.B.er Advance1.
    This his '57 Caddy "Rust Bucket" that he is having a ball building.

Attached Files:

8. Abomination

Abomination

LMAO!

ANYBODY with a Cadillac (regardless of year) that's actually worked on it can huff and say, "Standard of the World MY ASS!" :D

~Jason

9. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Awesome post. Everyone has some pretty great cars. heres some pics of my 53. the body has alot of patenia. but i still love to drive it.the motor died coming home from a show in sept. Shes been parked in the driveway since. But this weekend im going to get a motor and trany for her.Once shes back on the road I will start on my 52 series 62 which has a great body but nothing else kinda like a bleach blonde.

Attached Files:

10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

How about a Caddy engine?

Attached Files:

11. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

AMEN brother!!

12. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Here's a before and after of my Cadillac.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to love those Caddy's.
    Rick

13. Abomination

Abomination

LOL! :D

It's kind of an "in-joke" amongst Cadillac owners... I see you got it! :p

~Jason

14. My bomb

Attached Files:

15. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

You are talking utter rubbish.............

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  16. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

here is my soon to be custom 60

Attached Files:

17. Abomination

Abomination

:)

I also started fixing Macintosh computers over 20 years ago, thinking I'd be like the Maytag "lonely repairman". What a tirade THAT was!

They have their own problems, just like everything else... but I still use a MacBook Pro every day. Same deal with the Cadillac - they have their own problems, and don't get me wrong - some of that quirkiness is the reason why I love 'em - but the "Standard of the World" thing? It always made me laugh. :)

Especially in the case of the HT4100... OMFG, I think the slogan didn't really apply to that. :p

~Jason

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  18. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

You should read the explanation of the term. for starters

secondly the engineering on Cadillacs is superb and well developed, I have restored and worked on many Cadillacs mainly years 53 thru 70 I don,t quite understand what your beef with them actually is, they are a great car and an absolute joy to work on.................

19. rixrex

rixrex

With the Big help of Lux,Ken,Ed,Kurt,Sally,Ben Franklin and Gman who will take and post some pics for me..My 48 Caddy fastback will be on the road and working the bugs out for Roundup..We put a 73 Trans Am front clip in the front and a Seville disc brake posi in the rear..with a worked over M.T.S. 30 over Eldo 500 for motivation..I will be the crusty silver bullet going by in a cloud tire smoke searching for traction and getting about six m.p.g....

20. Abomination

Abomination

Actually, although it sounds like it, I don't have any beef with 'em, and agree with you entirely (having had five or six of them myself, 50s through 60s).

I just smile whenever I hear the slogan. It's like they're leading people to believe that they're perfection incarnate... and anyone that's ever worked on 'em can tell you that a starter or alternator will fail on a Cadillac at the same rate they will on a Chevrolet, and that they're not exempt from anything just because of the slogan. :)

I'm not dogging them or trying to piss anybody off here. It's just that the slogan always gets me. :)

~Jason

21. AtomicButtercup

AtomicButtercup
    from Denver, CO

Model Eh's '58 Miller Meteor Caddy Ambulance. We call it "The Shop Truck". >'.'<

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

OK..
    btw "standard of the world" meant the first standardised parts that were interchangable car to car Standard(stock). They were not professing their greatness, They were just saying "look it works on that one as well".........

23. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

HAHAHA, my 92' Brougham, it's sucsessfully torn my hands apart.
    my 58' chevy, easy as pie.

24. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

25. Abomination

Abomination

Ah, the Dewar trophy days...

I'll give you that - back in the early days it indeed was standardized all to hell, thanks to rather Col. Sanders lookin' Henry Martyn Leland, who (anal as hell) carried around a set of calipers and measured shit all the time. Dude took things to three decimal places... so they certainly WERE the "Standard of the World" back then, especially pre-GM buyout (with that crafty mofo, Durant), and pre WW1 (when the old man left with his son to form Lincoln Motor Company to make Liberty engines for boats and planes because GM didn't want to get too involved with the war).

Of course, we all know the story of Henry Ford getting Leland to work for 'em at his first company, and Leland buying the young, punk kid Ford out (calling him a whipper-snapper), then later Ford buying Lincoln Motor Company from the old man after WWII and kicking him out of his own factory, but I digress.

The slogan seemed to take an entirely different tone when it turned to hardcore luxury, taking under it's wing a meaning of "THIS is what all other cars should be measured by". So it's that that I chuckle about... and in some cases, the response is "OMFG - I certainly HOPE not!" Cimarron, anybody?

So we agree about the origin. It's the later transmogrification of the slogan that tickles me. :p

~Jason

26. mad-cad

mad-cad

Another great caddy, that has the caddy charm but its 'different':D
    Note to self add 58 miller meteor ambulance to my -I want one of those -list of cadillacs
    Tim

27. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

yeah, yeah an Durant ended up trying to invent the laundromat.

It was just you seemed to have a certain resentment towards the brand like it had hurt( I don,t mean Knuckles) you in some way?........

28. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

you put chuckle
    and I put knuckle

its getting poetic.................

29. Abomination

Abomination

I think what I meant to come across as amusement and being charmed by the while slogan may have come across to you as being perturbed! LOL!

Sorry, man - and hell no I don't resent 'em!

~Jason

30. sid64cad

sid64cad

i love my 64 but you speak the complete truth!