Register now to get rid of these ads!

200 r4 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951bomber, Feb 2, 2009.

1. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

would the buick and olds trannies bolt up to a chevy

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Most will, very few were BOP pattern.

Are you actually reading this info as it is passed to you? If you read Pir8darryls post #28 he already answered this one.

3. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

sorry for not reading the answers right i was getting kinda tired. but thanks for all the help guys its gonna make my swap a whole lot easier.:)

4. Those earlier Buick tranny's (with the BOP only bell housing) are probably TH-200 or METRIC 200, not the 200r4.
    The METRIC 200 is a total POS.

5. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

Well I know mine is a r4, and it's a BOP, and would NOT bolt to a Chevy. I agree the 200 is a POS.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just to clear things up for those that are following along, the large majority of the 200r4's are dual pattern BOP and Chevy. There are very few that are BOP only.

7. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

Can we get some pix of this. I've personally never seen a BOP only 200 4R.

The list of codes can be found here
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070128173316/http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html

Here is a pic of the different pans
    [​IMG]

I'd also like to know what the builder thinks are the deficiencies of the 200 4R.

I've had good luck getting parts for these places and the CK book is excellent.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=200-4R

http://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM2004RCATALOG.html

I would also like to add that the AA code 200 4r out of a Cadillac is a good starting point and that some of the others will require a bit (Read :a lot) of work on the valve body and governor to get it to shift decent for a performance application.

8. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

TexasT, I can't get a good angle on the motor/trans, but maybe you'll be able to see that my r4 has a depression on the top of the bellhousing, not a peak that would bolt to a Chevy, now that I think about it, I don't know if the existing bolts would match the Chevy bolt pattern but I don't think so. I know the top wouldn't, at least, and there is/are only one bolt at the indexing pins, vs the two (one above and one below) on a Chevy. Pardon the leaks visable on the motor, it doesn't get cleaned up as much as it used to. K.

Attached Files:

9. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

Good stuff. I see the casting is different than the ones I have. Very angular.
    Any idea what it came out of?

On a side note, as previously suggested, 200 4R Talk has an excellent trans section. Lot of 200 4r info to be had there.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

Good stuff. I see the casting is different than the ones I have. Very angular.
    Any idea what it came out of?
    I bought it in Pomona from a guy who frequents the Swap Meet, he said it was from a GN Buick, I can't verify that, but I have had two different motors in front of it, the first was from an '84 Turbo Riveria, and the second was from an '82 ElCamino, both of those motors had the depression at the rear of the engine that mated with the depression on the trans. So.......? K.

11. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

thanks for the info have any of u guys put a 200 r4 in your hot rods