Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Winter Project:1956 Buick Hardtop TONS OF PICS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick32vic, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

The car:
    1956 Buick Special 2 door hardtop
    322 Buick nailhead
    All stock
    New aftermarket (stock) interior.

The players:
    Me (Nick)
    My dad (Nick)
    My 12 year old cousin Michael
    My lovely mother Peggy
    and maybe some other faces here and there

The Plan:
    Body work
    Sub frame with 64 Riviera front stub (the 56 front end will cost alot more to rebuild and the 64 should ride better)
    64 Rivi rear end with new rear suspension
    Lower
    Clean up engine, paint, and re-install
    GM Automatic transmission via A-dapter-kit (as the man in black would say)
    Power Steering
    Stereo
    Primer for now but nice paint is definately the plan (with a cool panel and flake job on the roof)

The Goal:
    April 1st drive the car and work out the bugs so we can have a NICE cruisin Buick to drive to the Lonestar Round Up in Texas on April 15th. (that gives us 2 months!!!!!)

The Story:
    November 2008 rolls around and my dad and I realize we don't have a single running car for the summer of 2009. The "wedding car" model A is still sitting in back under a tarp and we both know that we won't have time to finish it. That is when I start looking for a 50's car. We figured "hey maybe we'll find something for cheap that we'll be able to get goin for the summer" We weren't looking to seriously but I came across an old craigslist ad for a 1956 Buick. Described as such "Runs good, 1 owner, new interior needs paint" We contacted the owner via email and it ended up being a lady whos parents bought the car brand new. It was in a town about an hour away from us. Coincidentally my cousins live in the same town and drive past it (sitting on the side of the road) every single day. So my mom, dad, and I hopped in ma's daily and rode up there to look at the car and visit my cousins.

We looked the car over with flashlights and we were ready to buy it. We had cash and were about to strike up a deal with the lady and then the husband got home......not a good scene. Thats when he found out she was selling the car. By the look on his face I thought the ol' lady was gonna drop dead. He took over the deal and wouldnt take the cash that we had. We had a nice visit with my cousins and on the way home my dad said "Oh well.................She'll call back, you just wait and see"

Sure enough she called back a couple weeks later and we finally got the car on November 13. We drove it up and down the street a few times and then let it sit through the holidays.

Where it came from
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    In our driveway
    [​IMG]

Interior
    [​IMG]

[/FONT]
    On December 31st we pulled the car in the garage and ripped out the motor. We arranged for my cousin Michael (12) to come help us work on the car for the weekend. His parents are not really DIYers but he is VERY mechanically inclined. We thought he deserved to wrench on the car since hes been seeing it nearly everyday for his entire life. That weekend we got the nailhead pulled and the rear suspension yanked out as well as getting it up on jack stands and ready for some hard work.

Me Pulling the engine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael unbolting the rear suspension
    [​IMG]

Three Stooges
    [​IMG]

My ma even lent a hand!
    [​IMG]

2. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

January 16 2009

We are waiting on our donor Rivi so my dad decided to investigate the funny looking paint spots in the rear quarters (Upper and lower), rockers, and fender.

This is what he found. Looks like somebody did a "nice" job with some fiberglass. haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both sides were almost exactly the same
    [​IMG]

My dad
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad had the local sheet metal shop roll a piece of 22 gauge steel to match the curvature of the rocker (which is essentially the same exact curve as the lower to mid part of the rear quarter/fender) They curved it a little too much because its easier to pull it back a little bit than it is to curve it more. My dad cut the sheets to fit and he did a pretty damn good job.

[​IMG]

He fit them both in next.
    [​IMG]

When he cut the old metal out he left the inner structure so he had the perfect place to attach the new panel to.
    [​IMG]

After these where all tacked in we started to build the corner of the door jamb because they where rusted out too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you weld in panels on sheet metal you have to be extremely carefull about creating too much heat so as not to warp your panels. Not only with welding but with grinding your welds too. My dad has been a body man for 30 years and he still had warping. You just hammer out what you can and mud the rest (or if your especially masochistic, metal finish haha)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

4. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

That's one hell of a nice start to a project.

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Holy Crap this place moves fast! Page 8 already? I guess i better be super lame and bring it back to the top. haha

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i love those '56 buicks. nice car.

7. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

cool car...love them buicks

8. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

my brother had a similiar rot spot in the middle of the quarter panel like that on his 55 buick

9. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Yeah its strange. It was really weird being that there was one in the exact same spot on each side. Part of the window channel ends right at that spot so Im thinking it leaked down in there and just sat.

10. elanore56

elanore56

nice start, good luck, can't wait to see more updates.

11. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

nice project! good luck and keep us updated!

12. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

That's a neat car.

13. PoPo

PoPo

nice project man, looks like you got some great help. Would be fun having a family project like that! nice story also

14. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Man, i wish my chrome looked that good. Nice find. My 56 also had hidden gems under the paint. Good looking repair.Have you checked under the carpet? My front floors were pretty bad. Keep us updated.

15. flatoz

flatoz

I better contact Drewfus on Monday to get him to check out his 55 for that rust spot. looked like it was a nice clean daily to start off with! what are your floors like? Drewfus's car looked good and he tells me that the floors are toast. Putting it down to the heater under the seat- stupid place to put a heater really, but given how shallow the dash is I guess that is why it got stuck there.

16. Seems rust and 'questionable' repairs seem to be a Buick common link I'm finding...

Look forward to watching your build.

Thanks, lucky to be inside out of heat for a moment...;):D:)

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

17. john walker

john walker

nice job, but cover the glass or all that grinding will ruin them.

18. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

we lifted up the carpet and there is some rust. I think we are gonna ignore it for now. Its not that bad but it will need to be fixed eventually.

John, dont worry we cover the glass with our welding blanket everytime we are grinding or welding.

Hopefully ill have some time to post more updates and pictures tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  19. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Nice work! I really like these cars and I can't wait to see more of your build.

20. Squablow

Squablow

The before pics looked so clean! That huge fiberglass chunk is hilarious. I hope you saved it. Metalwork looks good so far, keep it up.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've always liked those Buicks - Great looking car, Nick! See you guys in Austin for sure...

Malcolm

22. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

that is a cool cruiser ya got there. Should be a nice to the round-up.

Jeff

23. poorboy

poorboy

good start on a cool ride

24. ratt7

ratt7

Nice to see another Buick being brought back, keep us updated.

25. Rqketman

Rqketman

Hey Nick and Nick cool stuff ,nice pics of rust repair maybe you could help out with my convert!!

26. dotcentral

dotcentral

The interior looks good in these photos. Looks like you made good progress on the quarter panel.

27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Nice entry! Thanks!

28. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Thanks for all the good words guy. Im gonna try my best to get some updates ASAP. So busy!

29. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Smoothing things out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to be smoothed out.
    [​IMG]

Primed and block sanding
    [​IMG]

30. Squablow

Squablow

Lookin' like some very clean repairs, especially considering those lower panels were homemade. I look forward to seeing this one done. What are the colors going to be?