Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wife or Girlfriend jealous of your hotrod?!? How do you handle it?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

So an old friend of mine was telling me that the reason I'm single is I spend so much time on my car. She's got a point. And my ex girlfriend used to call my '51 my 'other' girlfriend. I can't be the only one. So how do you guys handle it when this topic comes up?

Basically I worked during the week then on saturday until 5 pm was car time, the rest of the weekend was hers.

What do y'all do?!?

Thanks in advance!

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i tell them the cars and bikes where here before you and will be here after you

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

get married! they'll be happy you have something to do.

oh, did i mention, i send mine shopping!

4. geemann51

geemann51

Buy them one too.

5. Bull

Bull

My wife knew what she was marrying into. She encourages me to spend time doing car stuff, though I do try to find a balance.

6. Ebert

Ebert

Get rid of her and get one who digs the deal!

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

For those of us not fortunate enough to have an understanding significant other, we must carry on in the face of adversity. In other words, if you know the answer, please tell me.
    It's kind of crazy that our women would be jealous of our cars, but it's true. I make sure to set aside time for my wife, but when I set aside time for car stuff, she still gets jealous. And the tail isn't so good that I would give up my passion for cars. Can't imagine it ever could be either. So yeah, I'll still be wrenching when I'm old and gray, and if a time comes when it's the car or my wife ... naw, she couldn't be that dumb to give me an ultimatum ... could she?

8. zbuickman

zbuickman

Bingo My X told me my cars had to go because we needed the money..... Needless to say she is the X:)

9. 49coupe

49coupe

I don't think it's not an accident most of my older hard core car buddies are single. It's not just the time you spend in the garage. Add up time on the computer (HAMB, emails, searching for parts), swap meets, shipping/sending parts, junk yard visits, your buddies coming over to help, working on other peoples cars, trips back and forth to chrome and body shops, etc. etc., you'll get a better picture of how much time your "hobby" really takes up. Then there's the money aspect. You can't spring $300 for a new coffee table, but you just got back from the chrome shop after spending $1,000 on some chrome goodies.

As my wife says, the only time you're not thinking about old cars is during sex. She's only partially correct. :rolleyes:

Since we had our son, now 2.5 years old, I had to make some serious changes to my addiction if I wanted something that resembled a family life. I'm hoping when the little guy gets a bit older, he can help out which would let me spend more time in the garage again. He's already been to a few cruise nights and swap meets with me and think's my old coupe is cool. So there is some hope.

You need to evaluate your priorities occationally. I let things get out of hand for a while, but then I'm an obsessive/compulsive kind of guy anyway.... My wife is supportive of my hobby but everyone has limits. Not spending weekend time with my son hits hers since I work late during the week and travel a lot for work.

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

That's why I have an ex-wife. Couldn't be happier. My current wife supports my passion but she won't go with me on cruises. She said she gets bored so I don't push it. She also makes more money than me........

11. von Dyck

von Dyck

Why do you think the '57 Plymouth was called "Christine"? Most gals can't handle a two-timin' car guy - one of them's gotta go. That's what made it a good movie.

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Build one for the wife! I did...... Plus, I'm always in the shop attached to the house and she always knows where I am. A friend of mine is building his wife a top shelf chopped 31A flattie powered pick-up. Keep em happy if you can. You won't have to sleep with one eye open..........lol

Attached Files:

13. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

My first date with my wife tobe was her helping me put a clutch in my car so we could go to the races that night. Things got better she learned to drive my hot rod. So when i lost my license .we could still go to the races. Now 48 years later she still loves hot rods and car shows. The race track closed. Thats how you can tell a keeper.

14. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

There is always the old reliable back hand. :D

15. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

The thing I have noticed is when a wife is young she doesn't like the time you spend away from her. Jealous I guess. Have patience,an older wife will be happy to give you the time away from her! They also appreciate it when you take the kids along out to the garage.N.N.

16. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Nope, and if they are, go find another.

Kinda like finding the perfect car.

-Jason

17. chris55

chris55

thats what I did, now I spend all my free time working on her car...:rolleyes:

18. rick finch

rick finch

Married 32 yrs. She met me when I was seriously drag racing on the NHRA trail, and hasn't given me 1 damn minute of grief!!! She always knew where I was and what I was doing. (not out "chasing" & drinking) I've always included her in my world, it is her choice to join me or not, so it hasn't ever been a big deal in our marriage.:)

19. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

Give her a cunt punch

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I got rid of mine and will get another when I feel I need the company. Unlike rust free barnfinds or a crate of Ardun heads, women are everywhere.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if you were better looking or better in bed, she wouldn't be jealous

22. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Best answer yet!

23. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Buy them one too and hopefully they'll get something out of it you guys can share. If they don't get it, well. I see a lot of guys with Ex-wife/ex-girlfriend thought I loved my car more than them stories... Some guys are fortunate that their girls may not be into it but they're content to know their significant other is accounted for in the garage. I've got an ex who couldn't understand. Projects cars are always cooler than project girlfriends;)

24. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

My kids and wife are into the rides as much as me. Find one that likes them first.

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

2 words....chicken wing! :D

26. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I open the wardrobe point to the shit load of shoes,ridiculous amount of clothes,the constant shopping on line,which got to a point that the UPs driver told me that my girlfriend keeps him in work due to the constant package deliveries and.then tell her that what she spends is the same if not more than i spend,,,then she shuts the hell up and realizes that her shopping is her hobby.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I tell her that I could be out there sleeping with other girls but instead I am either in the garage or on the HAMB.

28. Brandi

Brandi

Chicks are crazy.

I couldn't hang with a guy that doesn't get it. Luckily, the biggest argument around our house is who gets to bring the next project home.

29. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Girlfriends/Wife jealous ? Yes. I'm always kind & polite to them & keep working on the cars & motorcycles. Some girlfriends last a few years, some only a few months.
    Eventually they all give up & leave.

"It's better to be alone than to wish you were."

Lucky667

30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

chicks are all crazy its just what you can tolerate,thats the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.