Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally came up with a name i like for the shoebox...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

it is much harder than you would think to come up with a name for a car (at least for me)...ive had a lot of great suggestions from a few different hambers (nads, miss print, and a few others whose names evade me at this time),,but none that really hit me the exactly right way (real close,,,but not quite there),,,,i wanted something that sounded futuristic (50s futuristic),,,i decided its gonna be called Telstar XM7........the telstar part is named after a communications satellite, and the XM7 part is a tribute to my kustom idol, bob metz....he built a wild finned, futuristic buick back in the 50s called the XM5,,the car appeared in the movie "the time machine",,and was honored as kustom of the year by one of the little magazines....there is also a great article on bob in a recent issue of the rodders journal that shows some excellent pictures of the car..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. shoebox72

shoebox72

Do you have the telephone to put in it yet?? I know you do.

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahaha,,,,,actually, there WILL be one,,,havent found it yet,,but i will,,,,and possibly a philco predicta tv if i can find one for a reasonable price,,,,

Attached Files:

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Check out the sound of the spaceage, early-60's's instrumental, Telestar by the Tornadoes.

5. so i am guessing right, you guys dont have ford telstars there!
    If not, dont look it up, trust me.

6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahah,,,,i know it well
    and i think the ventures did a version too

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i saw a repair manual for one on ebay once,,,you are right,,they are kinda ugly,,,,:)

8. JEPPA

JEPPA

I was viewing a house that was for sale a week ago. The deceased owner had two of them in his garage along with some vintage radios, oh and a 1957 Buick. I'll bet you he had a phone in there for you.

I like the name.

9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

oh man!!!..any chance you could go back and see if they might still be there??

10. JEPPA

JEPPA

I wanted this house and all its contents. The backyard was all garage. Not family friendly. His son is takeing all the great stuff from what I understood.

11. ratster

ratster

12. Good job Jim. Now get out in the shop and start welding!!!! We want updates!!!!!:D:D:D

13. JEPPA

JEPPA

Ha! Rodder's journal #40. Found it!

14. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

great article, huh?,,,couldnt remember which issue it was,,,,

15. ford telstar, fuckin ugly eh?
    [​IMG]

Your shoebox is awesome, I think the name suits the car

16. Chad s

Chad s

I have a few philco predictas. Even the smallest table top models will be awfully large to put in a car.

Telstar is a great and very fitting name though!

17. Chad s

Chad s

Joe meek recorded telstar. The Anniversary of his death was just a few days ago. He murdered his land lady and then shot himself on Feb 3rd 1967, 8 years to the day Buddy Holly died. He was a very troubled person.

18. DrJ

DrJ

At the time, I thought Telstar was done by some local "Surf band," but years later found out it was a Pre-Beatles British group that hit the charts big time.
    Way different style of music from the likes of Lonnie Donnegan!

I'd name a "Shoebox" "GUCCI Loafer"

19. I always wondered what that car was! Theres a 58 Tbird in the film too IIRC.

Your new theme music....:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u2ybCjf6ras&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u2ybCjf6ras&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

damn,,,,i didnt realize they were that large,,,,the tabletop was the one i was hoping to use,,,can you measure one of yours?

21. Chad s

Chad s

Sure, Im not home yet, but I can measure a table top "Debutante" model tonight, its the smaller of the screens. Id guess its about 24" across, but Ill get an exact measurement later this evening.

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009