Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh how I love my Banger- FEBUARY banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Elrod

Elrod

Don't weld it. I was going to say get another original spring pack because they are all over the place, but not sure about in Australia.

I've also purchased a main leaf from Vern Tardel and would recommend for you to do that.
    http://www.verntardel.com/collections/suspension/products/model-a-reversed-eye-spring Has the correct Model A bushings in it already, and all the worry is taken out of it for you.

To answer your questions. Yes, the holes are still the same distance apart. It's spring steel and was flat at one time until Ford bent it into an arc. If anything, I'm re-arching it again and giving it more bend. Done this and seen it done on other cars and they are driving with no problems. Not an area to get scared about.

And look at any stock early ford axle. Almost every one of them has a dig out from the shackles riding on the axle and rubbing away the axle. And people still drove them safely down the road.

We as car builders are going to pay much more attention to our cars than farmers on a farm using them as "who cares" vehicles would ever do. I'm just saying, even in a worn out state, it works fine. But you're fixing it up, it will work even better.

2. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

I have found a local spring works who make trailer springs, I was thinking they might make me a new spring with reverse eyes. I think I would need to cut the next sping down as it would foul the eyes, I have seen posts about removing some leaves to lower the ride as well, which to remove and how many is the question.

3. Elrod

Elrod

You need to know which spring shackles you would be using. Most of the reproduction springs have eyes that are meant for the rubber bushings like modern spring shackles have.

If you are wanting to use Model A brass bushings, make sure the trailer place makes the eyes the correct size.

4. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

What is the correct bore size I imagine if I measured the old spring the bore would be worn, it may be close enough to guess the size as I suspect it will be a round number like 5/8in

5. I took 2 out ouf the front of mine...can't remember exactlt what ones but they were smaller.

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

If you want to see God before you get old and grey, go for it! Otherwise, scrap the main leaf, save the others (you might find use int he future for them) and buy a new spring! Dont sacrific your safety!

7. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I'll bet that Aussie spring maker will know exactly what size eye and how much arch to put into the spring . Take the whole spring into them and tell them what you want to do. Remember that the optimum shackle angle is 45 degrees so the spring is going to seem like it is too short to fit and will needed spreading out. If it goes on without spreading it's too long and won't work properly ( car will wobble on the shackles etc ). You can take leaves out but the spring will settle quickly and you will be in a situation where the shackles are facing the wrong way .
    A springmaker can tell you that anyway,but it's important to try and keep what Ford spent ages working out as a good compromise between ride and handling.

8. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Ok I am convininced no welding on the spring, Its just me trying to be a cheap skate. You guys in the USA have it good when it comes to buying parts, I ordered some bits from Mac's today but postage is a killer $230 us in parts, will cost me about double in Aussie dollars by the time it gets here, but that is still cheaper than the local prices.

9. flyin-t

flyin-t

I have one of Verns springs in my sedan too, but here's another source. They do reveresed eye mains for both T's and As.

http://t-springs.com/index.html

Not that I'd do it, but my neighbor who has the worlds best collection of T speed equipment and cars, 'cept for Speedy Bill, has been running a main leaf in one of his fast T's with the rear main spring having the bends cut and re-welded. His kid is like some kind of guru welder, that's what he does for a living, and he did it. Car's been together for over 20 years, countless miles and hillclimbs under it's belt with no problems. On the other hand it is a little T roadster, not much weight there.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  10. shock

shock

Ok so I just got the HC head from Snyders and am wondering, back in the 30s or 40s ifin ya had a police head on yer A, was it a differant color, Idunno maybe black or bare cast iron, Im shure some kind old hot rodder can answer this.

(I'll be running dual updrafts, 3/4 cam, and a cutout with the stock muffler.)
    [​IMG]

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Any one have any info on a fish carb.? Its stamped fish m1-330 the bore is 1.530
    thanks Bill

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

chris ,
    what kinda bumpers are you using ........ steve

14. 1932 Ford front and rear bumpers

15. doublehipness

doublehipness

Brendan,
    Give Jacobs Springs in Footscray a call, they just made me a new reversed eye main leaf a few weeks ago.They were the only spring works that knew what i was talking about & made it up for me in 2 days at a reasonable price.The main guy in the workshop has had a few a model hot rods & is currently building a wild 36 ford.

16. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Ok - I got my 16" wheels painted and have the Firestone's ready. - pick up the wheels on Monday....

16 x 7.50 on the back and 16 x 6.00 on the front.

They should look great on the old Truck - will post some pics as soon as I have them...

17. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I have a fish carb but no numbers stamped on it was gonna try it on my model A stocker but never got around to doing it I posted pics one time of it on HAMB can do it again if needed I found several articles and tech stuff on it a few years back just googling fish mine has a adapter with it looks like you could put it on almost anything with small 4 bolt flange 2 or 4 barrel The top is the same size as a 97 for air cleaner n bottom is 2 bolt flange 2 n3/4 in apart slotted out to edge bore appears to be around 1 n5/8th in very simple looking design

18. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Can spring perches be repaired? I have a new set of shackles and bushes coming, but the perch is worn where the old shackles wore through the bush. Should I try to weld it up and rebore it or braze in the new bush or just push in the new bush and run it?

Attached Files:

19. RussTee

RussTee

i would not be worried about the eye of the perch but with that amount of wear on the upright shaft i think i would be looking for replacement perches it is a matter of safety try www.oldtin.com.au

20. Elrod

Elrod

I know a restorer that puts the new bushings in and then welds them up. Figures by the time they wear out again, even the youngest of us will have passed on to the other side.

These cars aren't daily drivers and it took 75 years for that one to get that way

But I personally would hunt for another set. They are common enough.

21. Gaters

Gaters

Well I've got the ol Pyle Special parked away snug in the garage...finally. I wouldn't normally name my car but this one already had a name that I didn't know about until recently. I ended finding a picture of my roadster on AHRF. Thanks to Jim Miller, just a super guy, who sent me a copy to keep with the history of my roadster. It was donated to the AHRF by the Trompers Car Club. The picture was taken Sept. 21 1947, when it was powered by the Riley 2-port. My plans are to rebuild this motor in similar fashion. I've already started on the head...looky see what I got.:cool: I've already got a lead on a nice B-block and will take my time collecting other parts to get this secondary motor back in the roadster.

After a long wait to rebuild my flathead banger, I got that home too. The long wait was worth it. A good friend spent more time than expected on making it road worthy. The WINFIELD adorned A flathead was set up for racing and I wouldn't have gotten too far the way it was last set up.

I have to address the leaking front brakes before I can mount the motor. Otherwise, I'm gettin close.

I had to jam all my dad's collection of tools and parts into a two car garage, kicking the wife's Honda to the curb. WA HA!

I've been extremely busy at work and hadn't had time to address the roadster lately but I'll be back at it this weekend. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Attached Files:

22. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

If the upright part wasn't so badly worn I would have turned a sleeve for the bush eye and pressed it into place using that to hold a new bronze bush in place,but as others have said already,buy better ones. A point of note here,the bushes are bronze,not brass. Brass is soft and squashes out under load.

23. Anderson

Anderson

It was easier to just make one than to draw it out, try to scan it and e-mail a picture :D

I am very surprised that it is all working out. I'd always heard that you can't use mechanical brakes on anything but a stock suspension. With the exception of the tabs I made, every other part was a bolt on Ford piece. And now having seen how they work, I have quite a bit more faith in mechanical brakes than I used to.

Nope, I'm sure we're not the first to figure out how to do it but at least we figured it out!

24. loogy

loogy

So, How many guys have switched over to a pressurized cooling system and who is running stock? What are the parameters surrounding the need to change to a pressureized system? I other words, at what point along the engine modifications line does a pressurized system make sense? Or does it ever?

25. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

The reason for pressurising is to lower the boiling point of water. the Higher the pressure,the higher the boiling point so you can run a engine at 80C or 175 F without danger of boiling in warm weather or under heavy load.
    pressurising is an area where you have to spend some time devolping and engine to run under pressure ,such as radiator pressure capability etc etc.
    e.g If the radiator was never designed for pressure you are risking splits and leaking tubes.

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Then there's the water pump pee'in too. With too much pressure.

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks for the links Crazydaddyo . I found some stuff. but still looking for some info on my m1-330 all the pics I found on the web dont look like mine. The mounting flang does not have a slot and it is miss the tube out of the front. I will try to post some pics soon.
    thanks Bill

28. I have a 7 pound cap on my modified but the longest trip has been 1/4 mile. I have cruised the pits at El Mirage and that is longer but that is just puckety puckety. with prostate and beer causing stops at all convenient outhouses. My advice to you younger guys is to piss every chance you get because there could be a time when you can't and wish you could!

29. noboD

noboD

Where else can you get words of wisdom about your car and pisser in the same response?? I love the HAMB!

30. Went to the memorial for Jay Steel yesterday at Taylor Engine. More than 100 people were there where we were celebrating his life. My wife and I went and although we didn't know too many of those attending we did see a few old friends. One person we spoke with was a fellow that grew up with Jay in whittier and went to the same college where Jay earned a masters in History. At the entrance sat Jay's 29 RPU that he had first owned when he was in high school. Bill LaRosa bought the 2 port Riley head and the pickup went to someone else. They were sold to help purchase Taylor Engine. Jay got the pickup back in pieces and although people tried very hard Jay never saw the finished truck.
    At the last "66" hill climb Jay drove our car and between runs would just sit in the car looking down the course. He looked as though he was trying to soak up all he could of the day.

RIP Jay