Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Dog427435

Dog427435

A couple better shots of the ....err... Pontiac!

[​IMG]

That's the '67 Hurst Grand Prix convertible

[​IMG]

2. Dog427435

Dog427435

3. Falconred

Falconred

Lorenzen wreck, then in garage area , Atlanta 500, 1965:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Falconred

Falconred

Lynda was at the Dick Brannon show at Atlanta raceway last year, she still looks as good as ever. I will hunt out the disc with the photos from that show and post some.

I have an old postcard give-a-way signed by her back in '64-65 I will scan if I can find it.

I'll get back to some later nascar and short track stuff now as I have about used up my old stuff from my early teen days.

Incase you haven't noticed all that old stuff was shot through a chain link fence.

See you all later.

Falconred

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  5. lunatic_magnet

lunatic_magnet
    from CT

just saw today this old guy is gonna be attempting to make the 500 this year. i'll have a reason to watch for the first time in a good 5-6 years...

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

ARCA at Louisville Downs in 1967 (I think). Iggy Katona leads Paul Wensink through the first and second turns. This was a limestone trotting track. Wensink won the race, as I recall. More to come...

[​IMG]

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another from that Louisville Downs race. Bill King, the owner of the track, said he'd build me a flagstand. He put a table across a box seat area. I told him and John Marcum that I would just as soon work from the track. It was a fun day. One of the funniest things that happened was in the "garage" area. They used the horse barns. When Les Snow fired up his Plymouth, both walls of the stall he was in fell down...

[​IMG]

8. c57heaven

c57heaven

[​IMG]
    Nice pics. Thanks. Just to be clear...this is a 1965 Chevy Impala

9. Falconred

Falconred

See the next post down, the photo of G C Spencers '64 Chevy was susposted to be on the first post but for some reason I posted the same photo twice.

10. Falconred

Falconred

Found a few more oldies:

Fireball leads under caution Atlanta 1964:
    [​IMG]
    Lorenzen leads Jarrett, Atlanta 1964:
    [​IMG]
    Tiny Lund #98 didn't make the race 1965 Dixie 400 Atlanta, Henly Gray (I think) #97 out with rear end problems:
    [​IMG]

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Slightly off topic, but in reference to my previous post mentioning Bill King, the owner of Louisville Downs, he was quite a promoter in various fields. He was also a talent agent, with one large failure to his credit. Not a failure for his client, a failure to pick up a client. In the 50s, a young guy from Tupelo, Miss. came to him and wanted him to be his agent. Bill decided the kid didn't have it, and sent him to Col. Tom Parker. The rest is history.

12. Falconred

Falconred

This is a little sequence I shot of one of the "Big Ones" at Taladega 1983: Neil Bonnett blew an engine on lap #1 and started this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll post some race photos from this one later.

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Norm Nelson's Mercury at Milwaukee...

[​IMG]

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Leonard Blanchard of Louisville got a little too close to the inside rail at the Indiana State Fairgrounds when trying to get past Les Snow, making the Indianapolis papers...

[​IMG]

15. john56h

john56h

BUMMER...I know nothing of B.I.R., but hate to see any track's demise. Amazing that there are so many positive posts about the place. If an article were written up here in NY about the closing of a track, the yuppies would be writing all kinds of negative stuff and making it sound as though tearing down a track is a great thing. The one negative post mentions young men wasting their time with cars....how about the alternative? Without some "constructive" outlets, many younger guys fall into trouble with drugs, booze, etc... at least racing is good clean fun.

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

John56h, you've hit it on the head with "The one negative post mentions young men wasting their time with cars....how about the alternative? Without some "constructive" outlets, many younger guys fall into trouble with drugs, booze, etc... at least racing is good clean fun."

I recall when I started taking my son with me to local tracks and ASA races when he wasn't ten years old yet. My wife was a little unhappy, but I pointed out that it didn't hurt me any. He usually had the run of the pits, and I knew he had 50 or 60 "uncles" down there who weren't going to let him get into trouble and usually put him to work.

Several years later, when he went to an auto mechanics school, one of their tests involved going into a room filled with parts and putting together a differential. He came out after 20 minutes, and they asked him how he did it so fast. He said, "I've been doing that since before I was a teenager." <!-- / message -->

17. Falconred

Falconred

A couple from Atlanta in 1989: I wish I had a better scanner, these photos are not out of focus as they appear.
    Dick Trickle
    [​IMG]
    Hut Stricklin
    [​IMG]
    Sterlin Marlin
    [​IMG]
    Phil Parsons
    [​IMG]
    Bill Elliott
    [​IMG]

18. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

More FORD dirt trackin(if the pics are in the right order), 66-67 Fairlane, 69 Mach 1, 69 Mach1, even won with a flat tire the last 2 laps, his last ride-83-85 T-Bird
    The Fairlane & 69 Mustangs were the same frame/chassis, take notice he sat in the middle of the car.
    Next post will be of his older cars(Oldsmobiles)same chassis as the Fairlane & Mustangs.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  19. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

I'm not sure of the year of this Olds, but i'm guessing 53-55?
    And the Sportsman car was like a 1yr deal,but didn't like it too well, he always said he "didn't like his elbows touching the tires"

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Good stuff. I especially like the Mustang in the second photo.

21. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

Well for the most part they are all the same car except the 83-85 T-bird. he started with the Olds & sat in the middle of the car shifter between his legs & a hand clutch for years till others cried saying he had an advantage because he was winning a lot, then he had to move the seat to the left side.
    Look at the middle of the car for the part of the rollbar that looped down for the headrest, And the interior shot is one of his cars put together for his memorial but you can see the hand clutch. And the rear shot you can see the loop.
    The other pic is a T-bird fiberglass body(Fairmont style).
    And its hard to see but that's Kyle Petty in his car for an exibition race.
    He always tried to keep his cars looking like a street car instead of a box like most went to.

22. Falconred

Falconred

Here's you a Ford dirt car from the late seventies or early eighties:
    Sonny Baswell (or Braswell, I can't remember) at Dixie Speedway in Atlanta
    [​IMG]

Bobby Panter from Blairsville:
    [​IMG]
    Jody Ridley (this is someone elses photo but I don't know whose);
    [​IMG]

I try to get back to scanning some short track stuff soon. I'll post a few more NASCAR photos later today.

23. bcook07

bcook07
    from Illinois

i wish i had pics but some friends of mine in the last year started racing a 61 starliner w/ a 351 Cleveland at the local dirt track.

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

DW and Charley Binkley at Nashville...

[​IMG]

25. Falconred

Falconred

indybigjohn, I don't know what happened but I posted this yesterday and it didn't show up.

Keep up the good work, you have some great photos and information.

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Falcon. I keep finding them.

27. slick77fan

slick77fan

Falconred i saw Bobby Panter race that Falcon at Cleveland. Think he drove that car from 76-78. Noticed your from Blairsville. Got any pics of the Mustang that Johnny Thomas drove or the Fairlane he drove earlier.

28. Falconred

Falconred

I've got one of the Fairlane in an album at home, I'll try to bring and scan it. Johnny used to tow the car I helped with before he started driving. I almost got him started driving but his dad caught us and had the car crushed. I had an old 390 hipo engine and we found an old 55 or 56 Ford body and we were going to make a hobby car. We were running latemodel with a 66 Fairlane then. Fulmer Lance was the driver. We had two 55-56 Fords before and a 63 Fairlane after that. It's strange but I don't have photos of any of those cars.

Bobby's dad had a 55 Ford latemodel earlier that was driven by Russel Burnett of Blairsville and also had a limited car that Fulmer Lance drove part time that had an engine belonging to me.

29. slick77fan

slick77fan

I used to talk to Frank Panter every week at Sugar Creek Raceway in the late 80's and early 90's. Last time i was there i sat with Frank and Bobby in the stands. Heard a couple of years back that Frank had passed away. Do you remember the Chevelles that Fulmer and Steve Roberson drove for Randall Twiggs?

30. Falconred

Falconred

Yeah, I enjoyed being around Frank too. Bobby is running a limited car around here again, he runs Sugarcreek and Tri-County regularly.

Here is the Johnny Thomas Fairlane:
    [​IMG]
    Bobby Panter at Dixie:
    [​IMG]
    Fulmer (88) and Steve (8) in front of Randal Twiggs shop
    [​IMG]
    Fulmer (88) later at Dixie and Johnny Evans (71) another car out of Randal's shop
    [​IMG]