Register now to get rid of these ads!

House of Kolor VS. Matrix systems??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bluedscrewed&tattooed, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

We are gearing up to start painting our 63 Riviera, lace and flake panels, lots of candies. we were approached by the rep for matrix systems and have a meeting with him tomorrow. He states that their product has many advantages over HOK, want to know what some of you guys think.
    Also what are you a big fan of spaying now, especially for candies.

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Matrix??? Never heard of it.....but then, I don't get out much and just use HOK.
    I use HOK Candy Concentrate with SG100.

3. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

what about BASF carizzma colors? any one like them over House Of Kolor?

4. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

I like House of Kolor. Their stuff is great. Here is some of their work at the SEMA show in '07

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I am a big fan of H.O.K but I am sure if you put napa paint in the hands of the guys who panted those surfboards they would still be bad ass

6. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

Hoc over matrix any day, but they bouth have some badd ass colors..

7. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

For the price Matrix. If the price doesn't matter Hoc. I'm going to use Matrix and Southern Poly's clear.
    My .02 worth anyway.

8. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

actually..for the money try dupont hot hues. i spray it at my shop and it is very user friendly.it is expensive but not as much a house of color. hot hues has some nice colors too

9. inliner54

inliner54

I agree

10. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

Yeah, we use dupont also but they are really spendy for the product. Hows their candies spray?

11. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

user friendly is very important if you don't spray hok all the time and your not used to it. the shit is without a doubt one of the nicest paints on the market, but make sure you follow the directions to a "T". i know ppg and dupont are more user friendly, ive tried them all, but you get the most bang for the buck with hok. good luck and post some pics.

12. Cole Auto

Cole Auto
    from SoCal

Of coarse the rep is going to say how great their product is. That's his job. Matrix says that their products are the same as PPG but I have sprayed it a few times and that is just not the case. I found that the colors weren't as vibrant and the colors didn't cover as well. As with everything in this world you get what you pay for so they have to make money somehow. You don't want to paint your car twice so pay the extra money and do it right the first time with good, tried and true products.

13. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I've been using Matrix for several years and really can't say that I've had any problems with the product.

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Met with a Matrix rep in Detriot last year. The stuff seemed nice, but its no contest to HOK's years of proven reliability and innovation. It seemed like Matrix was just getting into the custom side of things. Plus I make 2 phone calls and I'm on the phone with Jon for superior tech support!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  15. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

NOt to hijack, but do you guys like HoK clears? Personally I love 'em for the look and durablity, but the pros in my area hate both the UC and UFC clears. Any reason you guys can tell about?

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

The UC-35 does take some getting used to. I switch back and forth between it and PPG DC4000. It takes usually the frst coat to get my pattern and speed down. It lays out very orange peely but after 3-4 mins it melts together. Thats really my only complaint, other than that its top notch.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  17. MeanMike

MeanMike

Over the summer I sprayed a customers bike (dresser) with Matrix's system. This was a candy true fire flame job on black. My paint rep, who I normally buy my HOK stuff from said to try it, it's way cheaper and easier to use. NOT! When I went to buff it, the candies "moved" on me. The candies never really hardened. I sanded the clear coat off with 400 and I could scrape away the candy with my fingernail. This was painted in a shop and all instructions followed to a T. I called my paint rep who said impossible and also spoke to Matrix's HQ. Matrix blamed it on a batch of bad toners, hardeners, blah blah blah. Upon showing my rep the paint job, he refunded me my materials costs and gave me a healthy store credit. Matrix was also more than apologetic. I than redid the job with HOK. I just broke even on that job because I had to do it over, plus the delay for the customer, who was very understanding.
    That said I have a buddy who swears by this stuff. I say spray some test panels first. After doing this for 20 years I should have known better than do a job without testing it first.

18. Algon

Algon

HOK just has more depth in color, it looks the way Candy should...

The RM Carizzma dye stuff is nice for ease of application, and of course you can work with it to your liking but the standard tints just lack the appearance I'd want on my own car. I have not gotten to really play with this stuff yet, just got a crash course on it at United Sales. It looks very promising but it just did not seem to give anything near the look that HOK has with anything that was shown as an example. Don't get me wrong the stuff looks good, but that is right up until you put the test panels side by side.

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I dig it...coincedentally...I was up until 12 O' clock last night shooting some UC35 in my cold garage (60* inside @ 30* outside).
    Like SlowandLow said...it lays out a bit rough. It does smooth out good once it flashes and polishes out quick and easy.....

Bill....have you used any of Dynatone's (Alsa's) clears? I've got a gallon kit....just haven't tried it yet. Curious what your opinion of it is....

20. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

had the EXACT same problem with one of theirs on Snowblind (Kev Nemo's car) unfortunately, since it was such a big area, we just had to let it bake, and bake, and bake. it still doesn't feel right.

and there is no real way to "fix" it without re-shooting 75 percent of the car.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

that actually scared me, I shot the clear on my Buick and was pissed as hell at the peel. Went into the office for about 20 minutes, came back out and it was smooth as glass. Weird. Now it's my favorite clear.

22. metalman

metalman

Back a few years ago I did some consulting work for Matrix when they first started the candies, it's a good product if they haven't changed after they sold out. I acually felt their dies had better UV protection which was my biggest complaint with HOK, anything with red die would fade to nothing withen a year out here. Can't say anything about current Matrix, we haven't had a destributor here for a couple years.

23. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

Thats good feed back, think we are going to go with HOK. tomorrow will post some of my painters work and airbrushing. see what you all think.

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Nope, I am about the most stubborn person you will ever meet when it comes to materials. Once I find something I like I will almost never deviate unless I'm forced to or Mark really really urges me to. I fear change...

25. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ya me too. The first time I used it in great quantity was last year on the Kopper Kart. First pass I thought I ruined all the hours of kandy work Mark put in before me. By the time I finished the pass, the other side looked like I actually knew what I was doing!

26. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

my buddy worked at a shop that used matrix, and it was decent on normal aplications, but when it was time to do anything custom and mix your own stuff we always ran into problems so i would definetly steer towards the HOK option

27. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Do you use UC35 first? I've always done what the HoK vids and books recommend, clear it first with UC35, wet sand with 500grit wet, then shoot the UFC. I will say it's a ton of work, but it buffs soooo easily and so nicely, it seems worth it to me. One of the local pros claims DuPont clears are just as good, but I've never used it so I have no frame of reference besides you guys.

28. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Nope just plain UC35. If while wetsanding I feel its not going to buff out nicely, I'll reclear with it overreduced which is what the UFC is accomplishing. The UC has more solids and a thicker film build than the UFC which is meant as just a flow clear to even things out. Do you think the UFC buffs easier than the UC?

29. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Not only that, but it seems to have more depth. I've never tried just leaving it in UC, I just follow the advice I get from the books and the tech line.

30. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Once you get used to it, UC lays down as well as anything out there. I usually shoot a light mist coat and then follow that up with 3 coats of progressively heavier coats.

I also like the Dupont clear but personally, I think that the HOK UC35 is easier to cut/buff.