Register now to get rid of these ads!

Check your nuts regularly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S.F., Feb 2, 2009.

1. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

Yeah, 1961 I getting ready to deliver my car to the docks for shipping to Guam. Having oil/filter change, all lubed and fluid levels check in everything. The shop left the rear axle plug out. Fortunately they found the plug and chased me 6 blocks to correct the problem. Surely Id have lost all the oil on Guam and lost the axle, not
    knowing the plug wasnt in...

Re lefty/loosey righty/tighty except on (Olds). I just discovered that someone has swapped the front hubs on my Olds. The lefts are on the wrong side up front. Thats another chore for this spring.

Have also had lugs come loose (filling station tire change not done right).

2. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

to share.........coming home from Pinole Car Show in traffic I told my girlfriend " that car sounds like the driveshaft is about to fall out". Then I heard the same noise when we were next to the next car. I pulled over at the Oakland Arena and popped the cap and one had fallen off and the others were loose. Tightened all the wheels and made it home.

Brian

3. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

It isnt that they pick up speed; the rolling radius of the tire under load (on the car) is considerably less than the radius once its unloaded. So as the tire gets 'larger' it rolls farther for each time around.. :D

I have seen seen some horrendous bounces too as the tire hits just a small stone on the berm.

4. I've had lots of problems on my 2000 Ford Focus daily driver work car with breaking wheel studs. Every time I've ever had to change a tire on the side of the road, I broke one of the studs in the process. Don't know why that is, never had it happen with another car, but I've gotten lots of experience replacing studs on that thing.

5. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

That makes sense. Same RPM, more speed. Heard you on the bouncing too, a loose truck tire is REALLY scary. Dually one tons tend to loose rear wheel bearings, then the pair and the drum take off. They can go through a house.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

a bit O/T, but my buddy and I used to pull tractors. I couldn't go one night, so he went alone, got drunk and fell asleep at the wheel on the way home. Ditched the truck/trailer, trailer broke away, rolled and the rear axle on the tractor broke. The big tire/wheel combination rolled across the house yard and tore the porch clean off the front of the house! thankfully, not a soal was injured. Certainly made a mess!

7. RichG

RichG

Heh, I was helping a fellow haul some wood in his old chevy pickup, it was "slightly overloaded". The rear passenger side wheel sheared all the studs, passed me, bouncing, caught up to him in his Ford, and bounced OVER the Ford before heading off down the side of the gorge! We were going about 45 MPH when it happened...crazy stuff.

As a side note, my brother in law owns that very same Chevy today.:)

8. de-fenders

de-fenders

Stevo - glad to hear that you are ok, and that you pulled over when you noticed something different.....