Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh how I love my Banger- FEBUARY banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Does the brake rod clear everything OK when the axle is on full spring compression ? .Could get embarressing having the front brakes come on going through a bumpy turn.:)

2. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah. I don't have a stock 32 chasis. Only Model As. Wish I did though! :D

I saw Chopt 34 in your older post had a stock 32 chasis with mechanical brakes.

I just found a few other posts with Bruce Lancaster describing that he had seen some tabs mentioned in Secrets of Speed magazine and in some old photos also.

3. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

A very wise friend of mine has a saying,...

"Nothing new has ever really been invented after 1938!"

There is a rediculous amount of abandonded technology, etc. that is constantly being either revived or rediscovered.

There is only the uniqueness of rediscovery when it comes to hot rodding as well.

4. Elrod

Elrod

Yup. Brake rods clear everything. I had to put the Model A tierod on the bottom of the spindles though and it clears the wishbones and the front of the oil pan.

5. Elrod

Elrod

Ain't THAT the truth.

I tell my friends that I'm a restorer, not a hot rodder. I'm restoring hot rods from the 40s and 50s The way it was done then!

I prefer looking at the old pictures of how it was done back in the day and doing it that way. No thanks on the modern stuff.

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Wow,... boy did I jumble that one up! LOL!:eek::)

That had to be him then! Bingo,....!

Another useless mysetery solved! :D

7. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

My sentiments exactly!

Both sad and surreal,....I've found a far better and larger reception to what we're doing with The Hot Irons from the restorer crowd than from the average so-called hot rodder, let alone the street-rod realm, which is by far, bizzarre at best. Especially when I was building my re-creation of Carl's '29 roadster.

I was actually welcomed into my local Model A club with open arms, and they have been an amazingly huge help to me with my roadster.

Its sad when a large part of the so-called hot rodding communtiy completely misses the whole point... at least the vast community around my parts!

8. Elrod

Elrod

Yup. I was a member of the Dallas Model A club before becoming a hot rodder. I learned a TON from them and love being a part of that group. Very nice people, even if I am one of the youngest by far in the club.

I think they were a little surprised that I dropped the lid and legs on my 31 coupe, but still happy that it has a banger in it. I have a 30 Cabriolet that is all stock that they like better, and they're aware that I'm building a 31 flathead roadster but don't talk to me much on that one! :)

9. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well it does for me,... at least its worked well so far!?? LOL!

10. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Like I always say,...

"The vast majority of the cool people are either over 70, or 6 feet under ground!"

11. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Hi,thanks for the reply,I was just curious because in the pic posted it's pretty close to fender,maybe just the angle.
    on a similar matter,about 20 years ago i restored a car called a Palladium,built in London ,England in 1923. It was the first light car to be equiped with a 4 speed (Moss) and 4 wheel brakes. The front brake set up is identical to the Fords. Because Fords were amongst the first cars I ever owned it was easy matter to get the brakes going again,after every one said they couldn't...:rolleyes:

13. Ok, so now for some dumb help questions. My B is runnin pretty rich, I am going to try some smaller jets, anyone recomend a size? Were can you get jets??

14. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Oh ok,.. sorry. I see your dilemma now. Cool, I learned something new. I'm glad you brought this up!

15. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

if you get stuck finding the correct size,you can do what we used to do and that is solder up the hole then drill them using Gas Fitters jet drills. They are used by people who set up gas burners for heating and so on. The sets are hiseously expensive but the quality means your grandkids will be using them. The drill sizing means you can very exact sizes for jetting.
    http://www.mpsracing.com/products/NOS/no01v.asp

16. I did think of drilling them, however I have 2 more 81's going on a 221 V8 that do not have any jets in them (don't ask me why, came that way), so I want to put the stock jets in it, and replace with smaller ones. I guess I could get some 97 jets and try it...

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Chris,
    Are you running 97's or 81's now? My B is running 81's with #36 jets and It is running great. It might be running a little on the lean side on the top end. My engine is stock except for the 7:1 aluminum head.

18. More reference shots of the use of mechanicals with a dropped axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ok, ok...heres a better video of the car. Finally got the girlfriend to help shoot it. I don't know why she's swaying around, musta been the few drinks she had before hand!

[​IMG]

20. pariodperfect

pariodperfect
    from Ardrossan

Hi My name is Matt Hotte I am from edmonton alberta canda I am 19 and I am building a 1929 roadster, I have am "A" Flathead, its .30 over with a Winfield 1r Cam Thomas head and Zephyer dual 94's for now but I need to find some 81's, B model Distributor and a header. I am running the stock A tranns for now but I am eventually going to mate it to the '36 I have,

I was wondering if Anyone has any Info on Fitting a 32 V8 Clutch to a model A Flywheel? I Heard it can be done,

Thanks,
    You guys are a great inspiration to me.

Matt

21. Yeah, two 81's. I'm going to wait for it to get above 30 degrees or so before I really mess with it. It's really cold here and I figured no sense in dialing it in now in the fridgid temps. Yhe car won't even get to opporating temp driving around.

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

OK We now cleaned and polished the mains.

It's fitted to the block sitting on only front and rear shells.

We can rotate the crank using the shells as V-blocks

The crank is good ZERO run out :)

As you can see the rods are close enough to the bore centers. But we have to measure because there must be at least the enough room in the piston to support the wrist pin equal to it's dia. in each side of the piston's wrist pin boss

After that the lump goes to have caps made and line bored. This id is measured and crank turned to spec.

Maybe photos next month :)

Attached Files:

23. I would think if your running rich with dual 81's that you have a carb problem not a jet problem.

Have you got the stock jets in there (35)? Stock power valves (#71)? High floats can cause fuel to push pass where it shouldn't and of course the old classic excess fuel pressure.

24. ,
    Quote Originally posted by Pariodperfect
    "I was wondering if Anyone has any Info on Fitting a 32 V8 Clutch to a model A Flywheel? I Heard it can be done,"

Matt, try this site, it is very helpful. Model A & B Ford Deuce Garage

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  25. Elrod

Elrod

hey Chris. My 81s with stock NOS jets run lean also. Maybe someone already drilled your jets in the distant past before you got them.

26. Great to see progress Bluto- hope the head is coming together as well!

27. Elrod

Elrod

Pulled the original Ford front spring last night. Boy that thing was dirty. Got together with THEM!, threw the main leaf in a press and reversed the eyes. (HOW WE DO IT IS HERE) Thanks to Revhead for doing the dirty work with clean up using a wire wheel. Under the 77 year old Muck was the "Ford Made in USA" stamps on the leaf clamps. Cool! Now looks good as new and have to put it back under the car one day this week after work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  28. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

29. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

The main front spring on my A is broken right in the center I was tempted to try and weld it as the break is below the clamp and see what happens, anyone done this am I wasting my time?
    When a spring is reversed eyed are the holes still the same distance apart? it seems to me they would be further apart, flattening the spring would make it worse and tend to wobble on the shackles or am I away with the fairies.

30. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I have read lots of posts on Websites from people saying they have welded spring leaves...sure... but it never works. The nature of the spring material is different to the substance of the weld material. They stick together long enough to break at the edge of the weld.
    It's far easier to either buy a new main leaf or if you have one handy,get a spring make to make you one and retemper and reset your spring at the same time. it's not expensive and is good for another 70 years.