Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest ***The grand tour*** A rich guy's collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Human Fly, Feb 3, 2009.

1. I got an invitation the other day to check out this real estate tycoon's collection. He past away before X-mas. So I thought I would snap some pics and show them around before his cars get sold by his son. His son is keeping some of the cars mostly the 50's and 60's cars, but the rest are going. This was one of two of his garage's, I didnt get to see the high dollar garage. My mate used to work with the guy who maintains all these cars. I got a free flathead fly wheel and clutch at the end of my tour though :D.

The first pics of the packard: It was Gen McAurthurs car at one stage, I dont know the history behind it.

MAGNET_BRACKET 002.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 003.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 004.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 005.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 006.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 007.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 008.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 009.jpg

There is more, wait!

2. MAGNET_BRACKET 010.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 011.jpg

this little thing was the coolest small car I have ever seen.

MAGNET_BRACKET 012.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 013.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 014.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 015.jpg

MAGNET_BRACKET 016.jpg

3. Ok thats it. I am over laoding pics.

4. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Nice shots man!
    Thank god all of these rich guys gather up this stuff so we get to see it!:)

Is that a 49 or 50 Ute I see hidin' behind that post? I've never seen one in person.

Thanks for the post. I envy the rich guys, but they die just like everybody else eh?

5. Yes a shoebox/spinner ute. It was very nice, but super high in the stance dept :rolleyes:

6. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

I would like to be kinda rich....not rich, just kinda! Thanks 4 the pics

7. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

8. Cragar

Cragar

my next door neighbour was there last week and is trying to buy the AUBURN to add to his collection hope he wins it I want to check it out I have never see one in the flesh

9. It's a Sloper, pretty sure only made in Australia, part Coupe part 2 door or as we say here Tudor.

10. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is called a sloper, unique to Australia. They were made by General Motors Holden from 1935 to 1941. The whole GM line was covered Chev, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, & also the English Vauxhall. They are very rare here now because they were considered ugly compared to it's us counterpart,but they are treasured now. Ford also made the same body style for 1939 & 1940. & Chrysler made them from 1937 to 1940.
    I will try & find some pics if anyone is interested.
    Sorry to hijack your thead Fly,:)
    Cheers Dago.

11. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Hi.Binga's right,It's an 'Aussie Only' Sloper or as they were called in those days a Business or Enclosed coupe. The idea was that the travelling salesman could carry all his stuff in the car and a lot of slopers had lay down beds so you could pull over and sleep on those long lonely drives between out back towns.
    But that is a super rare one by the looks being a 1940 -41 as all car production in OZ had basically shut down for WW2. Most manufacturers in Australia offered one . The 40 Ford Slopers have to be the nicest looking Fords of the 40's . Plus it's basically original too,a pretty rare thing as most survivors have had some sort of resto or rodded if still in one piece.

12. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Man look at the those Airflows! and a Chrysler Airflow too,probably a straight 8.:cool:
    The Cute little thing is a Nash Metropolitan...:rolleyes::rolleyes: An Austin A40 in a fancy party frock.
    Where can I buy one of these cars? any listings anywhere?

13. All I know is, most will be snapped up by collectors soon, Its mostly travelling by word of mouth at the moment. But Shannons auctions will be handling some of them. If you are 'truely' interested in one of the cars i can find out ball park sale figures. But dont waste my time with just wanting to know prices for the sake of it. You have to appreciate this guys situation of all these cars............and the people wanting them 'or talking shit about wanting them'.

14. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

No need for that,I was asking for information and possibly online listings. I would rather deal with the organ grinder not his monkey.

15. zzford

zzford

Ebay always have a few of them listed. Here, in the US, they're not that uncommon.

16. Hey, am just explaing the situation, and I gave you the details i know, I am not selling the cars, but I understand there are some people on here that may be interested in these cars and happy to help out if they are genuine............you are obviously not...........so fuck off!

17. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I like the white 34 Desoto Airflow.I have one but mine is customized. Great collection.