Register now to get rid of these ads!

200 r4 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951bomber, Feb 2, 2009.

1. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

hey guys i need some help with any info on a 200 r4, im looking for stuff like what kind of cars they came in, which ones are the best, and whats a reasonable price for one. im thinking about pulling out the old slip and slide out of my 51 hardtop and putting in ones of these trannies thanks.

2. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

can any one help me out

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Ask Squirrel here on the HAMB, he knows his tranny stuff good. I can help some also...

Check out this:
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=109774

And this:
    http://www.buickperformance.com/2004r.html

Check out the March 2009 issue of Car Craft Magazine

Here's some good technical info:
    http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=426&SID=6

A search for "200-R4 tranny swap" right here on the hamb turns up some good reading:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257537&highlight=200+tranny+swap

Here's a good web-tech on the TV cable. It's for the 700 tranny, but it translates to the 200 also...
    http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

Here's the skinny on the easy way out...
    Go to the junkyard and find a GM G-body [monte carlo, regal, cutlass] from 1980 untill about 1985 that has an oldsmobile 307 with a carburetor and snag the complete tranny including the TV cable as it's already designed for use with a carb. There's a 3 wire harness on the side of the tranny. The green wire is the one that locks up the converter once 12v is applied to it. There are wars to "program" the tranny to lock up "only" in 3rd and 4th gear.

After [about] 1985, they went to ECM controle and it uses a 9 wire [I think] harness. To use one of the later tranny's will require a computer, so avoid them unless you want to spend the $$$.

The 200-R4 is about 3/4 inch longer than the T-350, so you need to have the driveshaft shortened a little... Actually, you dont need to, but it can push the seal in and cause a leak. The T-350 and the PG are the same length.

It uses the T-400 crossmember mounting location, so you will probably have to drill a couple holes on your vintage chevy.

The 200-R4 uses a universal bellhousing bolt pattern, so it will bolt to both the SBC and the BOP engines.

O'reilies auto parts sells rebuild kits. They run about $240, and a converter will set you back another $130 or so... Unfortunately, they are much more complicated than a 350 or 400, and require special tools to assemble, so while you can buy the parts, your going to need a friend with a tranny shop to assemble it for you. From the factory, a 200 is capable of living behind 330 ft/lbs in a 6000 lb car. If your building more HP/TQ, plan on spending $$$ for the good stuff. Art Carr Transmission is the choice suplier for 200 parts.

Hope some of that helps, or at least points you in the right dirrection...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Most 80s GM G-Bodies had them (Cutlass, Monte Carlos, Regals, Grand Prixs) There are probably others too, personally I'm not a fan of them, but it's your car.

5. oldspwr

oldspwr

If you are looking for a good core, make sure you get one out of a Buick GN, T-Type, Olds 442 or Monte SS. The tag on the side of the case will help identify what it came from.. I believe CZF was Monte SS, KZF was 442 and BRF was for Buicks (need to confirm though...)

The valve bodies, governors, etc. are entirely different and it pays to find the right core.

Tom

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

These are the computer controled trannies. They are better in their stock form, but require a stand alone computer to control them.

If your building one from the ground up, you dont nessecarily need one of the high dollar cores.

7. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

thanks for all the help

8. bamabob

bamabob

I have one behind the Cadillac 425 in my 52 Chevy. This is not a computer controlled tranny. It uses a TV cable like the 700-4r. When built right they are strong transmissions. They live behind sub 8 second Buick GN's. Mine is not a BFR (from a GN) but has a lot of upgrades in the pump, valve body and servos as well as a GN torque converter. The link below will get you to one of the the best knowledge sources for this tranny.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/

Hope this helps.

Bob

9. oldspwr

oldspwr

10. zbuickman

zbuickman

Noo there not they are 200's Your thinking 700/4l60E..... whole different animal. the only thing controled by the computer is the TC lockup which can be done via switch...... also BRQ 84-5. In order from best to worst

BRF BRQ KZF CZF.... Built BRF's are holding together @ 3500# in the 9's in the Quarter

BRF and BRQ are the only trannys with a 3 rd gear switch If you want to lock it in 3rd gear you will have to have one of these.

Otherwise most of the info here is accurate. If you want way more 200 info than you can hanndel goto http://www.turbobuick.com

Edit: Make sure you only get a D5 or better converter. and get an anti-ballooning plate My stock D5 ballooned @ mid 12's 3700# and pulling the left front

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  11. mecutem

mecutem

I just researched this trans a few weeks ago. My buddy has a rebuilt 200-4R for sale. The older GM tranny guy I talked to said don't use the 200-4R if you have a choice. 700-R4 is a much better trans. He went on to say how problem prone the 200-4R trannys are. He said its my choice but he made a good living over the past years fixing the 200-4R trans. Just my 2 cents worth if it helps ya any. Steve

12. bamabob

bamabob

Yeah, I forgot about the TC lock-up. I picked up a switch on ebay that locks it up in 4th(OD) only. I had to put in a brake light switch from any GM car that has the extra set of contacts to unlock the converter when the brakes are applied.

Bob

13. zbuickman

zbuickman

Also someone mentioned Art Carr... If you see any thing of his being sold for the 200 RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.... He has not produced anything worth a crap in the last 15 years:(

14. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

As stated above the BRF box is the best one.Also the one out of the turbo trans am in 89 it has a a blue tag can remember the letters.They can take about 700hp for a while, mine even has a transbreak and has been holding up for sometime now.

15. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Early 85 Olds 442's came with a code OZ 200-4R trans. These are the best valve body's in my op. I put over 171,000 miles on an 85 442 and never had any trans problems. Did not treat it with kid gloves either. The only thing I didn't like, it would unlock the converter at 85 MPH.

16. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

so which tranny is the best one to pull out of a car in a junkyard and put in a car with out having to many problems

17. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

G-body with an Oldsmobile 307 [carburetor equiped]

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

mid 80's fullsize wagons with a v8 are a good source for 200r4's. Buick and Olds especially get overlooked. They are great transmissions in my (and my tranny guy's) opinion. Often overlooked and maligned by people that aren't up to speed on them.

19. Weasel

Weasel

Blown, intercooled, over 650 hp, 10" rear wheels - 200R4 with manual lockup converter been there for 12 years, with never a problem and it has been 'exercised':D from time to time. Any questions?

20. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

thanks for the info guys any more would be greatly appreciated

21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

they are the same length as 350 p/g, no driveshaft mods needed. I just put one in a 65 Caprice, the output shaft has the same splines as 350 glide too. you will have to move the trans crossmember back 4" but other than that is a bolt in deal.

22. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

so the best ones came out of Oldsmobiles

23. zbuickman

zbuickman

The "Best" ones came out of the turbo buicks/T-TA. the easiest to swap ones came out of the 307 4BBL powered Olds and Buick's and 305 4BBl Montes and GP's:)

24. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

No, I said one from an olds because it will always have a carburetor. The oldsmobile motor was never offered with an F.I. setup. When I go to the junkyard looking for a 200, I ALWAYS hit the oldsmobile section first because of this. It's just the easiest way to go.

The 200-R4 also came in Buick V6 and pontiac/chevy V8's with carburetors, but you gotta hunt for those a little harder than an oldsmobile.

Station waggons and 4 doors are the best candidates IMHO because they were less likely to be hot-rodded or beat on too hard... But not always.
    Yea, ^^^^ like he said.

25. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

what year olds do you think is the best?

26. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

I've run one behind a blown V-6 in a Model A sedan delivery for 13 years, had a problem with an Art Carr torque converter, but since that was replaced, it's run fine for about 38,000 miles. I don't agree that all of them have a universal bolt pattern, mine was from a Grand National and will not fit a Chevy, only BOP. Had a customer that put one behind a 568 cu in Pontiac, and ran in the 10's on the street with it, so they can hold a lot of power, but I agree, you need a good trannie guy to set it up correctly. K

27. Pir8Darryl quote :
    The 200-R4 also came in Buick V6 and pontiac/chevy V8's with carburetors, but you gotta hunt for those a little harder than an oldsmobile.

What bolt pattern does the carbed Buick V6 200-r4 have, does it have the dual pattern?

CBB

28. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

To the best of my knowledge, yes. I'v seen a couple BOP only 200's, but I'v never pulled one out of a car myself. I'v pulled about 20 of them thus far.

Just from my personal expirence, the dual pattern seems to be the norm, and the BOP only seems to be the rare exception.

If I had to make a semi-educated guess, I'd say the BOP only thing was an early production piece... 78,79,,, maybe 80... [?]
    Back before GM went "full corporate" with the parts.

29. So a carbed Buick V6 to me is about that age '78 to '81 so you never know I guess.

CBB

30. Snarl

Snarl