Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SHOEBOX: last update for a while...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

got my fins mocked up today..i had them mocked up with some round rod in previous updates,,i was studying the shape and trying to figure out the best way to fabricate them, when i realized the shape was pretty similar to the studebaker fins i had tacked on the car way back near the beginning of this project,,,,,i didnt think they would work, but i took them down from the rafters,,,,after a little trial and error, it looks like they are gonna work perfectly..,,,which will save me a tremendous amount of fabrication work,,,the next update wont be for a while,,,,,,,i need to get focused on doing a major amount of welding..,,,,,,when i get the acrylic bubble made for the roof, i will do another update..........here are a few pics.......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Jim the 2nd and 3rd shots are badass. Nice!

3. Hell yes.
    Are you going to blend the fins like the tape line? Or leave them as is?
    The only thing I am not real keen on is the spats/wheel covers, take a look at some mid 50's Lincoln covers, those ones look too early for the style. But everything is coming together really well with those fins.

4. Hang on I take the wheel cover comment back. I had another look and they bubble out. Yeah, rock and roll. I cant wait to see the roof on this mother.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

im not sure about the length of the fins yet,,i put a piece of tape on there to see of lenghtening them would look better,,i think i came up with a better idea though..
    i really wanted to use 56 lincoln premier caps (my favorite),,but i cant use them with the stock shoebox wheels,,,,,,i've got some plans for the caddy caps though,,,they will be "updated" to the mid 50s by the addition of some color chrome blades and bullets...

6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

yeah,,the skirts totally work in my opinion...........
    the roof will be wicked,,,,,,,,

7. I cant even begin to imagine what is going through your mind for the hub caps. I am sure it will be something ooutrageous........looking forward to it.

You cant keep us hanging till you get the roof done, cant you just give us some sneak peaks :)

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow.... that's really cool Jim!!!

9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks guys!

10. Jim that thing kicks ass! Those fins are perfect. I am sad :(that I won't see another post for 6 or 7 months while you weld that sucker up.:D

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahaha,,,,hopefully it wont take that long.,..

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Nice work, but not sure calling it a shoebox is quite fitting any more. It is way beyond just being a shoebox at this point. You are off the deep end. :D

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

ive been trying to think of a name for the car a while now,,,,i have few good ideas,,but its much harder than you would think..

14. Lay some names your thinking of on us!

15. How about:

Metamorphosis

<TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dnindex>2.</TD><TD>a complete change of form, structure, or substance, as transformation by magic or witchcraft.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dnindex>3.</TD><TD>any complete change in appearance, character, circumstances, etc.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks kind of like "The Fly" to me, but that may be a lot due to the black color. In another finish color, that won't be as fitting.

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

la ventura, stardust xc7 (for experimental car), fireball, vortex, galaxian, kosmic kreeper, andromeda, stardust venturian, hyperion, vulcan, zoltron, xenon, dragonfire, aleta, volante, galactica,,,,just a few,,,,needs a futuristic sounding name (futuristic for 1957 that is)

just a few,,have more,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  18. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

pretty sure it wont be black

colors under consideration are:

platinum with a slight green tint to it

persian sand (an awesome cadillac color-a frosty silvery pinkish color,,sounds wierd,,but its a great color)

pearl white

seafoam green

beneath the side trim will be gold or possibly copper textured metal or mesh, as well as behind the headlights, in the griille, and in the rear of the car

the caps will have a chrome bullet center with copper or gold flipper blades from an olds fiesta cap

19. Have you seen Abalone flake in the HOK cat? That would look killer with the gold treatment you talking of.
    Platinum would be very sleek.

Galaxian has been used already, by that insane 409 powered roadster/coupe in Japan.

'Andromeda' what does this mean?

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

andromeda is a galaxy in outer space i think,,,,
    that abalone flake rules,,,,i actually used it on the roof of a 60 caddy i used to have,,it was HOK candy green with an abalone roof,,,looked GREAT,,,not sure how abalone would look on an entire car,,ive always considered it as an accent color,,,it might look great though,,something else to consider i guess,,hmmmm,,,,,

21. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are completely f*cking insane. In a good way. I really like where this is headed. Can't wait to see this thing come to life.

22. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

the car looks great, those fins are perfect! Have fun with the welding . . . can't wait to see it done!

23. ratster

ratster

fins like that, they call it FLIPPER haha

24. twochops

twochops

Found 50 years from today behind Jim's house.

Attached Files:

25. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahaha,,,cool,,,,,

26. Oh yeah, not the whole car, I just thought I would bring it to the surface, as I think it would suit that kind of car. I am doing the pre stage wants and dont wants on a mates car. He is going for that 60's space/show rod look, and he wants Abalone for all the painted interior.

27. Flop

Flop

GET WELDIN ... i wanna see this done next week!!

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hmmmmm,,,,it would rule as an interior color....

29. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thats about when you'll be finishing yours too, huh??...:)

30. Flop

Flop

correct!!!! just put 13 hours into a single garnish moulding (metal finished for the chrome shop)..haha im on hot streak now !!!

those fins make the car my man !!!