Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser vans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by N312RB, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Hell no it ain't wrong! That would look killer, keep us posted on progess.:cool:

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

that thing is awesome. It looks like a big rolling pill.

3. 1st it was running a GAS injected motor when 1st built(GASSER TYPE CLASS) and where did I call it a econoline if you would get off your high horse you will READ I said mopar......and if your so goddamn smart watch the video wheelstanders with garlits where he says HE built it,Ive owned wheelstanders and worked around them and fuel cars since the 70s so I do know what the fuck Im talkin about!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. moparron426

moparron426

I agree that vans were never allowed in the Gasser classes back in the day. so really as the thread wanted "Gasser vans" there really are not any gasser vans but there are some gasser inspired vans in this thread or just some cool race vans :D:rolleyes: Ron.....

5. Talk about high horse, you might try getting off yours to check some facts. I dont need your video to tell me what I know. How about doing some internet reserch.. Try talking to bill maveric himself, or for that mater reading any article wrighten about the wagon in the 30 years. Every Mopar magazine has done several write ups through the years, all of them support what I siad. The only one Garlits may hav had a hand in is sitting in his museum, and has never even run!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  6. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

:rolleyes:

cc

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. My mistake about the injection,1st stories I have in my books its injected,no Idea but I just checked the interview and garlits takes credit.(maybe a Barris complex?)...thanks Pro Enfro

8. Well maybe I shouldnt get so anal about the details. Sorry for lashing out.
    I think big is great, but he does beleve in little green men and ufo's. At least thats what prudhomme siad on "wind tunnel" last year.:rolleyes::D

9. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

I feel the love. Meatball and slayer sittin in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g.

Almost had my popcorn on for the show, but too bad you guys turned out to be so reasonable. It's the HAMB, bringing us all closer. Beautiful

10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Kid we know in Monrovia, gassered his A-100 van. Jacked the front end up. Looked freaking tough. Handled so poorly, he brought it back down. Got to have that steering set up correctly I guess.

11. modrod

modrod

Not a Gasser, but my 65' Chevy Surf Van.

65van.jpg

65van2.jpg

12. rjarret1

rjarret1

I don't have pics but there was a Econoline van called Headstone that ran at National Trails for years,it was wedge chopped and perty fast

13. Ace Machinist

Ace Machinist
    BANNED
    from Michigan

14. johnthetrader

johnthetrader

I will bost pics of mine soon.Still working on it.A 1969 chevy van gasser with on doors on pass side.the motor is set back 2 foot

Attached Files:

15. A100

A100

My van is #45 post back on page 3

When I still had the straight axle under it it was a handful to drive. As the front end came up the axle dropped turning the wheels to the right. When it came back down they would still be pointed to the right. I somewhat solved this by chaining the front end down so it couldn't drop. When I went to a full tube frame I put struts on the front which totally eliminated that problem.

Straight axels are for work trucks, not racecars.

16. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Is this the Van ?

17. Not sure why you had problems.we have used them under the wheelstander for years and not had a problem with it at all,fact is it's a dodge A-100 axle

Attached Files:

18. rebelrat

rebelrat

Mine's a 56 thames It has been standing around for a long time some one has put a anglia front axle with spring forward setup and airheart brakes. I think the rear end is 56 is pontiac/olds.I am in the middle of fabbing the frame and rear end set up with ladder bars and coil overs.Will flip the front and I have a 289 with 4speed toploader just lookin for a home !!!!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  19. I Respect the VAN!!!!

20. Choptop

Choptop

from Round Up

[​IMG]

21. KRUZIN62

KRUZIN62

Not a gasser, but it has REDLINES! 1966 Dodge A-100 "Sportsman" short wheel base, window van ("Family Wagon" camper kit). Factory "273" V-8 (2-barrel carb) with automatic (727 Torqueflight). Heavy duty 8 3/4" rear end with 3.55 gears. Has the cool automatic shifter on the dashboard. Currently on Egay.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Old Vans are COOL!
    They absolutely cannot help it, it was engineered into them...They are naturally pimpadelic...:D

You know, I hear it constantly stated that Gas Class rules only allowed for TRUE passenger-type cars, or "coupes and sedans", HOWEVER, I have CLEARLY read allowances for trucks and Ranchero/El-Co's in the rule books from mid-sixties, but no mention of Van's at all, either way...Why no van's?
    Maybe it just never even came into play?

23. Algon

Algon

Do you know what happened to this van and when did you sell it? There is an identical one running around Akron, Ohio for years now... last I've seen it was a year ago... It's now more of a "Hemi orange" color, same Spyder mags, angle chop, same wing had a 383 at one time but now running a hotter 440... I was supposed to do a diamond pleat top on the the truck 10 or 12 years ago with three orange diamonds in the middle of the roof but the bosses' price scared the guy off.

24. moparron426

moparron426

algon, sorry I just seen your post, my old chopped van went to a guy in Jamestown NY and then it was in Ohio for many years, it is a orange/Red color now, about 2 years ago it showed up on ebay and I heard it went to Virgina or somewhere around there. but that is the last i have heard about it. Ron..

here are the pics of it here:
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/74384427rYrmLa

25. Algon

Algon

Cool man, wild to think of it getting around like that it's been a local staple as far back as I can remember, maybe two years since the last time I saw it. It seemed to get some street racing action now and then and I remember a guy with a blown sbc 68 Elcamino running against it off and on that I went to High School with. The van got a much tougher 440 at one point for sure but I heard second hand several times how the guy's Dad tore up the car trying to keep up with the van that time around. There could be some bull in there but most of the Firestone park area hot rod guys all knew each other so even the crap usually had some facts to it...:D

I actually bought a 74 tradesman 200 because of it, big flares, 8-10 in E-T IV's and a big rake. When I traded it off it ended up in a punk/rap/metal video of some sort.

26. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

I agree. Old Vans Rule.

I'm at work and don't have pics. You can go to my albums and take a look.

27. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Thou shalt not coveth(sp) another mans Econoline,

28. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

Attached Files:

29. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

OK! now i want a old van! thanks guys!!!