Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh how I love my Banger- FEBUARY banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks
    the current board is a custom built job! :D

actually all 4 fenders, both running boards and aprons, the firewall, hood and dash are all repainted gloss black, not perfect but pretty nice
    gona be tough not scratching them up trying to build this thing

the 2x4 was a seat for working on the carb!(its high enough!):rolleyes:

2. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Bluto, anti-vibration? Do you mean an O-ring gasket? Can't seem to get them for a 46mm carb. Can't get much of anything for a 46 come to that!

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Yes the isolator gasket

I'll pm you the phone number of my buddy in So Cal to gert Weber stuff from

Most bits are for 48 IDA

I think emulison tube and air fuel jets are same

Its hard to get parts since Weber went bust

Honest set the float correctly and get the fuel pressure down to under 2 pounds

I know a drink of water costs more than 2 pounds :D

4. Zach, thats a great looking car! My Dad has TONS of T parts, so if you need something, lemme know he may have it. Gabby's car is hands down my favorite model T. Who knew a basicly stock bodied T could be....should I say "sexy"!

Keep us informed!!!!

5. Chris,

I really enjoyed your video and the one from Artki. I wish my grandson would get his mind out of his girlfriend pants and do a video for me. Guess I will have to learn how myself
    I put 18" glasspacs on my RPU, bought them from Summit Racing. They have a 2" slip on fit on both ends and are/were $18 each plus ship. Straight pipes sound good but sometimes are too noisy after a while. I had 12" mufflers on my Modified when first built bit and they were high pitched like a Wizzer motorbike. (that is an old expression regarding sound of exhaust, don't see Wizzer's much anymore as Wizzer's are now collector items.) Now I have a 36 driveshaft cut in 2 and it is noisy but it is a "good " noise, of course this is my opinion. This opinion is not shared by people that are close behind and have their back's turned when I fire it up, especially women.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

on my speedster a ran a shotgun style 3" from off a stock model B exhaust down tube/ Manifold: was louder than hell. I then built a full length exhaust: 1.5" Header tubes to a 1.5" to 4" header cone, and then 4" all the way back. Was loud, but much more mellow. A little more compression would have really given it a nice rolling rumble.

7. Heres my good friend John's 32 Ford. It has a stock B engine and a 36 driveshaft striat out the side. It's not that load at all and sounds good, but the engine is bone stock as well.
    Mine sounds great until it winds up, then all the sudden it gets load and "snappy" if that makes sense...sounds like a Harley with strait pipes. But, I want the car kinnda quiet, right now it's more obnoxious than anything, but it does have a good, deep sound at bottom end. I'm going to put a couple small mufflers on it to try to get the high end noise muffles down a little.

Notice the car is RHD.

[​IMG]

8. HAHAHA Bill, I'm 27 and thats were my mind usually is, too (my girlfriend's, not your grandson's girlfriend ;))
    BUT, if he ever does get around to it, I would love to hear it!

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Bluto, many thanks. I'll get my backside in gear and give your pal a call. The main jets, air correctors and emulsion tubes are the same as DCOE. The idle jets are unique to IDA's though. I could do with finding an idle jet holder as one of mine has a small split near the bottom.
    Is that right about fuel pressure? Just 2lb? Wow, that's very low. I was thinking they needed about 3lb, which is what I'm running. I'll get that sorted next, then.

Bill, man, that's funny :D

Chris, what's the story behind the phaeton? Looks fantastic.

10. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Chris, Did you say totally stock? No speed equipment on it at all? Also what tires does he have on there; what rim size? Has he done anything to the springs? I'm trying to figure out what I want to do to my '32 Woody.

PS I think your car is the bomb!:D Love the stance and the patina.

11. John's Dad bought the 32 from Australia in 62 or 63...somewere in there. He got it home and put it in the shop, always working on other things he never did anything to it. John's Dad passed away before I got to meet him, bt have become good friends with John. He has an amazing collection of early Ford stuff. Last summer, John asked if he thought we could get the ol tub runnin. It supposibly had a rebuilt engine. I said sure, should be easy. It was, it fired right to life and runs great. Johen then thrashed to get it ready for Hot rod a Rama last August, adding a chopped windshield, doing some minor body work, priming it, getting a nice grill, headlights, tires/wheels, etc.
    The car is an orriginal out-of-state car, so the body is mostly wood. All the hard to find RHD parts were there, so that was nice :D

Yes, the engine is bone stock, down to the updraft carb. John is a Hamber, I'll see if I can get him on here to fill in the blanks on the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Chris,
    Thanks! This is what I'm working on.
    [​IMG]
    But it looks like this right now.
    [​IMG]
    I'd like to do some basic changes at first, change the stance and warm up the engine.

13. Too cool! A 32 Ford woody!!!!!

14. We had some decent (For England) snow today...

15. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Enbloc, that looks like fun! We've had snow since November! BCCHOPIT was out doin' doughnuts in a nearby town. I think he posted a video last month. You guys should have a doughnut contest! The smallest, the fastest around, etc.:D

16. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Now I do admire Gabby's T, but if I had your car, there's no way that I'd lose that patina and lettering. I think it looks great just about "as is".

17. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Just nipped out to the gararge and snapped this for you. Bloody cold out there!

Still using the BB intake that was on there all along but it has a super-rare Woods adapter to step it up to D. Big mutha ain't she?

[​IMG]

18. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Looks like fun Clark, nothing quite like roaring a hot rod around in the snow. Those Southern California boys don't know what they're missing!

19. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Thats a bigun you've got there
    Neil!! you will need a grille over the top to stop small children and animals getting sucked in!

I will try and do a couple of photos later in the week.

PS nice donuts Clark!

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know exactly what I am missing, just pick up the phone talk to the guys in Joizey, whose balls are currently residing in thier chest cavities. Whilst I am wandering around in shorts and flips flops, in NorCal.

21. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Bloody hell, Neil. It's huge! I'd like to know what CFM that bugger flows.

Hmm, dough-nuts.....

22. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

After I got the car running I found out that the car was on the East Coast (US) when my dad found it in the mid 60's I don't know how. (until then I thought my dad brought it over but after talking to some of his friends I found out different) I'm not sure how it got there I never had a chance to ask him. Just one more piece of history gone when you lose someone when your young. The car was in mock up form since the 60's when Chris and his Dad got the thing to fire up. Basically I put it back together as stock as possible.

That 32 woody is going to be bitch'n

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i love the "T" . might , as one said , leave it just like it is ........... steve

24. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

25. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

That pretty bad ass. You need to send it over my way. I have a bunch of stuff I will trade you for it. :)

26. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I joined FAST and received their quarterly with the guy in Columbus that has a lot of cool stuff. I will be heading over to his place next time I head down there. If you have not seen the pictures of his collection , it is very impressive.

27. I hesitate to even post this, as I know of at least TWO guys we are going to be running against at Bonneville with our V4F Modified Roadster are on this board.

But I am confident that the technology required to design such a part, let alone build it, test it, make adjustments and then have a finished, working piece requires countless man hours and dedication... is too much for even the dedicated banger racer.

Add to that, the kid that built this thing is on a totally different level than most people four, five or even six times his age...

and I just don't think this can be duplicated.

It all started out on a whim... Nate and I out in the garage...

We're sitting there, and he posed the question "what if".

Well, that "what if" led to some drawings, computer simulations, and a working model made from plastic that was eventually CNC machined by a friend of mine.

That model was then flow tested on a state of the art flow bench.

With that knowledge in hand, we made some minor adjustments, and then built our final part.

Although dynomometer testing will have to wait until we have our motor built, (which suprizingly enough, now only needs to be "two stages" higher than stock), this manifold has proven to flow more than a thousand nuns on their monthlies.

It's that good.

Now I am posting this on the condition that these photos go no further than this thread.

The last time I came up with an intake manifold design (The Sam-O-Ram 2000), the concept was stolen by the Polish government and is now being used on their gas powered lagoon going submarines.

Steal our idea and I'll send my cousin Sal out to rearrange your face on the side of your head.

Yes, that's an 850 double pumper up there.
    [​IMG]

At 39" off of the tarmac, it's at the same height as the driver's helmet.
    [​IMG]

While it may look like there are four carburetor adaptors there... (two bolt one barrel to Stromberg 3 bolt to Carter WCFB to Spread bore holley/square bore Holley to Edelbrock 1 1/2" four hole spacer)... that's just a cosmetic exterior design that fools our competition into thinking we're a bunch of country bumpkins.

[​IMG]

Watch out... we're coming to get you.

Sam

28. Nate and I ran some flow tests with the system in the "Up Draft" configuration... I thought that if we could figure out how to keep the fuel in the bowls of a Holley carburator when it is upside down, we could hit 200 mph.

So I posed this question to Nate... and he said to just bolt the fuel bowls upside down.

He said: "They have a symmetrical bolt pattern, dad"

The kid is smart.

Then all I have to do is rig up a bell crank on each accelerator pump and route the pump's passageway from the bowl to the metering block (inside the fuel bowl).

Done deal.

Sam

29. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Weber are back in production again. Artiki,try Webcon in the UK for weber parts.
    http://www.webcon.co.uk/
    What a lot folks don't realise is that the weber IDA,DCOE etc are not one carb,they are two sperate carbs in one body and each venturi can be tuned individually,thats what makes them so good.....once you get them tuned:D

30. That is..... Eeeermm..... Different!