Register now to get rid of these ads!

AAA Denied my Tow!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Ok so call AAA today to tow my Truck For body work. I had pretty much striped the Truck pulled the engine, windows etc.... anyway the driver shows up and says he wont tow it becasue this would be a convince tow! First time I have been denied a tow from AAA. Im wondering if it was becasue today is Super Bowl Sunday? Has anyone else been denied a tow by AAA? I have towed several cars like this with them in the past.

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

What is a "convince" tow?

3. brewsir

brewsir

been denied for being too low! Yea...what the hell is a "convince tow" The guy gets paid for towing your truck...isn't that what you pay AAA for?

4. John Denich

John Denich

Nope I have had bare shells with no front sheet metal towed by AAA, I call bullshit on the Driver!!!! He is just lazy!

5. racer756

racer756

Call again, tell them your truck wont start, and it needs towed to_________'s shop

You were gunna drive it in, right?

6. He is either lazy, or a Dudley Do Right..

I know they aren't supposed to tow that kind of stuff, emergency road service. But the drivers usually don't give a shit either way.

7. I think he meant to say 'convenience tow' which probably means the tow was declined because the vehicle did not become disabled as a result of being operated on the road.

8. If you have insurance on your car, you can see if it covers towing too?
    just a thought

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

"convince tow" : I DONT WANT TO TOW YOUR CAR UNTIL ITS "CONVENIT" , FOR ME" thats what that sounds like to me!!! :(

10. silent rick

silent rick

i think he was trying to spell convenience. as apposed to emergency. i never had AAA. what does your policy say? i assumed it covered the tow only in roadside emergencies.

11. rgfloor

rgfloor
    from oh

I think he means "convenience tow".

If you read the AAA regulations carefully it is for "breakdowns" or emergency towing hence the term AAAEmergency service.

Anything else is considered a convenience to you and not covered under the AAA Emergency coverage.

They have closed the local towing office, laid off the drivers, and all calls go to Columbus, 100 mile away and supposedly they will call a local wrecker service.

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yeah, i'm sure he meant convenience tow.
    i have had the same thing happen. most of the time the driver's don't give a shit, but they can also be a power-tripping piece of shit and tell you to screw yourself.
    been there.

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

AAA towing is really only for your running road legal car.. Nothing else
    It is for emergency's not moving junk or parts cars ,,if you have had someone in teh past do it ,,you just got lucky and the driver did'nt care

So you did'nt get "denied" you tried to use the system and it did'nt work

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have noticed a few threads where guys mention getting AAA to do a tow, even if it wasn't an emergency. This certainly sounds like a convenience tow to me. Why does it seem right to "scam" AAA when it is obvious this is not within the bounds of the policy? Remember, that is exactly what it is, a policy. AAA takes on the risk and hopes their insureds outperform the calculated risk. As the driver for AAA, he should be a Dudley Do Right, cause when AAA goes bankrupt, he will be out of a job. just my $.02

15. bryan6902

bryan6902

Try buying tow insurance on your regular insurance policy. You pay for the tow and submit the receipt to your agent and they will re-imburse you for your expense. Of course if you abuse it you may get dropped and you have to have insurance on your car.

16. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Maybe that's why my AAA bill is so much!!

17. If you have AAA it costs money. If you do not use the 3 or 4 tows they give you for that money, you basically are losing it.
    So technically, its not really scamming AAA, is it?
    I know they set it up to be for roadside emergencies, and if all their contract stations were hauling junk around, they could not respond to them. If the drivers arent running tows, they are getting paid to sit on their ass.
    I don't see why they can't have a clause in there limiting the mileage, or amount of tows for project cars.

All the tow yards out here dropped their AAA contracts because they don't pay shit to the companies, and it takes forever for them to pay.

I could understand if he was allowed a 7 mile tow, and talked the guy into going further, or getting more than his allotment of tows.
    I don't really see the harm here.

I have AAA so I can use the DMV services, and in case we have a problem away from home. I tow my own stuff around here.

18. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Yeah that was a "convince" tow.

It was gonna take a 10 spot to "convince" him

19. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's what I was thinking too! Next time my econobox craps out or my wife is locked out in the dead of winter. I hope the driver gets there in a hurry. It's no fun being stranded on the side of the highway waiting for these guys to show up because they're too busy towing your project to the paint shop. That's what buddy's with trailers are for!

20. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

And this is related to traditional hot rods how?
    "convince" me to give a shit.

21. bigolds

bigolds

Or just call a towing company and pay the freight!!!

22. chevyshack

chevyshack

Well..I now know why i can no longer afford to renew my AAA. Used to cost the wife and I 80 bucks a year. Last time i had it we payed 125 and following year it was even higher. Havent had it in about 3 years now.

23. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Bet it would be a lot cheaper if they weren't doing all these convenience tows.

I had a bad battery one year and had to get my truck jumped twice and then later that year the motor broke a timing gear and had to get it towed. I called and they told me that makes 3 calls within one year for that truck and one more and it would result in the account being terminated. And my regular insurance wouldn't cover it because it was only insured for liability and didn't have the roadside assistance like my daily did which was fully covered. Insurance is rarely ever convenient and sometimes you learn that the hard way.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  25. classicfins

classicfins

I don't know about each cell phone company, but I have roadside assistance on all my family cell phones. It costs like $2 a phone and doesn't matter if I'm in my truck, or my best freind's moterhome. As long as you call in the tow assistance call from one of the covered cell phones they will tow it. Might be something to check into. However, I don't think it will work for a convienence tow.

26. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'll second this motion.

27. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have AAA and have used thier towing. roadside service several times ,one tow was nearly 100 mi. The only time they denied me was when my car was stuck in mud after sliding off my my drive in an ice storm.. Fair enough,I am $$$$ ahead as far as I am concerned.

28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I guess it probably isn't related to traditional rods. However, I have noticed a disturbing theme on here. Some, hopefully a few, feel they have the right to scam the likes of AAA (like this situation) or Uhaul (fibbing about the tow vehicle or vehicle to be towed) because they are doing this in honor of their hotrod. No, I'm not Dudley Doright, but it just bothers me that this goes on and with a certain amount of acceptance by some of the rest of us.

Now, if your stomach is upset/churning and/or your rectum is getting incapable of continuous contraction, I suggest you give a shit. Is that convincing enough for you?:D

29. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Uuuuuum..... No...... AAA is a motorists club that also offers roadside assistance. [in addition to a plethora of other member benefits]

So let me get this straight.... You needed your non -operational truck towed to a repair facility [body shop] and AAA denied the claim????????

I believe you should call the local AAA manager and ask him/her exactly how they detirmined that towing your vehicle to a repair shop was not within your membership rights.

The "emergency roadside assistance" is a separate entity from the towing service [of which you are allowed up to "X" number per year] Tho they usually go hand-in-hand. But basicall an "emergency" call means you are broke down in a dangerous location and need help ASAP. Under this circumstance, they get help to you as quickly as possible, even if it means calling a tow company outside the AAA network. The regular towing service is simply a part of your member benefits.

30. George G

George G

They wouldn't tow mys son's lowered truck even though it died. But they could tow it for $175 about 6 miles. what a bunch of BS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.