Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Add me to the list of unemployed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesville

davesville

azav8 there is a major shortage of engineers here in oz.i know its not everyones choice to move but 12 months wouldnt hurt.just throwing some ideas around.sometimes you never know where opportunities exist:)

2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

My son-in-law quit his job at John Deere where he was paid to break things to become a cop in their small town about 6 months ago. Went thru training and everything. Got laid off last week. The next day John Deere laid off 100 folks so he can't go back. One more on the rolls.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, this thread is depressing. :(

Sorry to hear all you guys getting the boot. I work for myself and luckily still have some work, but all the bad news is definitely not inspiring.

Still, it is inspiring to read all the guys taking the licks while still keeping your heads and spirits up. I hope the future finds everyone in need back to a decent job before too long.

4. RichG

RichG

Yep, the Trade Reform Act/Trade Adjustment Act is what saved my bacon. Make sure to pay attention to what benefits you have available, sometimes they are not forthcoming with what you can receive. If you have any issues it doesn't hurt to contact your local state representative. My wife was able to get some schooling also through those acts too! They payed expenses and for some of the tools that I needed.

Good luck to you, you're on the right track!

5. Kevins89notch5.0

Kevins89notch5.0
    from Orlando

Man this thread really sucks. You hear the numbers on the TV, but its different when a face/person/story is attached. Its times like this I still can't believe how ungodly lucky I am to have the job I do.

6. Its tough to read these stories; I have been avoiding this thread for that very reason. Im really sorry guys; especially those who have 20+ years with a company...and nothing left.

I have (2) friends who work in the metal/body custom auto industry and have been out of work in the past 6 - 8 months. One of my guys keeps finding "promising" metal shop jobs that only scammed him for a few weeks then booting him out the door; leading him on like there was months of work.

I have made it a personal mission of mine to offer affortable work for owners so I can keep them busy to put food on thier tables, keep a roof over thier heads and put a little money away for a rainy day.

Here is my post in the 'Dex: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94752 If your looking for work to be done; PM me.

Are thier any metal/body folks in San Bernardino area looking for work? I have a couple projects that I might be able to supplement some extra help on.

PM me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  7. davesville

davesville

chopped 50 you have the right attitute thank you

8. davesville

davesville

busted iam with you on this one.the only time you need to use youre credit card and they bump up the interest and lower the credit limit at their whim.i am pretty sure this is illegal in australia.i hope all the credit providers in youre country and mine get a swift kick up the arse and get some rules in place through good governance:cool:

9. customcory

customcory

It don't matter to me what happens with jobs. As far as I'm concerned this country has been going to hell when they started the pee test. I haven't worked for any company since then, oh except for TRW rebuilding mustang rack& pinions. My then 5 year old son contributed the urine for that test! The company was such a joke, always telling us to pick up production or they were going to have to go to Brownsville Texas to make a profit, then on to mexico I'm sure. Those POS don't deseve to have anybody work for them.They are in Mexico now last I heard. Now I'm hearing you have to have good credit to get a job.WTF! I'm getting ready to go back into the workforce after some 20+ years, if this is what I have to look foward too, I think i'll be buying some grow lights , clean out a room , and order some seeds from Canada.
    I wish it would go back to if you apply for a job, they look at your skills instead of pee tests, credit reports. Some of us out here have a crazy idea that you have some right to privacy.
    One good benefit to the pee test though, it made me start my own business of doing old cars and I never looked back. Since I've had cancer I know I can't do it like I used too, so I'm kinda in a career change at 48 years old.Looks like its gonna be fun!

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Credit checks are used as a reference to what kind of responsible person you are (or not). Good way to hire people who can be trusted with your company assets. Similar to security background checks. In the old days, you would have character references or previous job references. Now thanks to litigation in the courts you are limited to asking any questions other than to verify employment due to "privacy laws". Some insurance companies have been doing this for years to see if their potential new customers are worthy of insuring. If they have bad credit and do not show responsibilty, then no insurance for you. Like it or not it is the way it is thanks to tort laws. We can never go back to the way things were in almost any kind of situation due to people suing each other.

11. RichG

RichG

The problem with the credit check idea is that it is limited in the scope by which you view the person. I lost my job and everything I had, bankruptcy saved my ass and allowed me to rebuild my life, so now I'm a "poor risk" when it comes to employment? I think that we've come too far in analyzing people like we analyze goods, it's just too complex to break life down into columns to determine what "kind" of person you are. That, to me, is only contributing to the further breakdown of society. We don't relate to other people, we rate other people. What a shame it's come to this.

I think Shakespeare was right, "First, kill all the lawyers..."

Sorry if this offends any lawyers, I'm trying to get things arranged so I can go to law school with my disability, become a street lawyer. I'm sick and tired of watching the rich get richer with the law on their side, time to do something about it.

12. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

^ What he said. All of it.

I've been fortunate enough to never have a repo, foreclosure, or bankruptcy but I've been close and had to 'do what I had to do' to keep going. And luckily I'm still going. But I truly hate to see people reduced to numbers and ratings. Some of the poorest guys I know are the most personally dependable when you really need help.

13. I don't think that bs about if you have good credit you can be trusted and someone with bad credit can't should be able to fly. I had perfect credit before I lost my job so that made me different than I am now? I am no more likely to take from them now as when I had good credit. It is all in the persons morals, I know people who have perfect credit scores and they are the biggest theifs around. I am not going to jack someone because my credit is bad, that is the lameist thing I have ever heard. all my creditors are getting paid, might be a little slow but I have not stiffed any yet and don't plan on it. then as mentioned above the cc changed limits and rates for what? thay are the one's jacking people around, nice that our government passed new rules to keep them from doing that but made it take effect in 7/2010 insted of now! yeh how many millions more will that make them off people already struggling to make it.

14. RichG

RichG

Never underestimate the lack of humanity in big business.

Of course, those business's will tell you that it's all about assessing risk, but it's not. It's about making money. As for laws to protect consumers, well, those just put bandaids on the real problem.

If you're ever unsure about what to do in a situation involving credit or risks involving a big corporation (or some smaller ones also), ask yourself this question, "what are they getting out of this?" If you can't figure it out, that probably means you're going to get screwed, and you should avoid being involved. No business has your best interests at heart, they are businesses, and as such they are designed to make money. All those "we'll help you now with your credit" people are just another business, and they will screw you just as fast as anyone else.

For people on the edge who need credit help, there are programs available from nonprofits that can guide you through your problems. Never, NEVER, accept credit assistance from someone who solicits you! If you're not sure, remember this question, "what are they getting out of this?"

Morals and faith and compassion are not part of any big corporations mission statement.

15. Yeh the cc companies try and push you towards their credit repair people, told them unless they have a pile of money they are going to give me it ain't gonna do no good.

16. evilone0528

evilone0528

I love how everyone's unemployed and hard time are coming,yet I posted a thread here,on another message board for cars,and all over myspace,yet I cant find a replacement employee to same my life.

I have went as far as getting together with the employment security commission,and still nothing.

Not that I get pleasure out of any ones lack of a job.Its just that I cant find anyone to hire,yet so many without a job.Seems strange.

Evil

17. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

That's cool of you to post up an opening at your shop on the HAMB
    Hopefully someone in need of a job w/ those skills will see it.

Somedays I wish I got into the auto body side of the business

Good Luck!

18. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Maybe you are not paying enough?

A client has a machine shop and complains he cannot get machinist but he starts out people at $8.00 per hour and keeps them there at low wages until they move on. Guys there after 2-3 years (if they stay) are making $10.oo per hour

Many if not most of these guys have a Certificate or a 2 year associate degree. Heck my local Mcdee's is hiring people at $9 per hour.

19. evilone0528

evilone0528

If you had read my O/T thread you would understand it a little better.In that post,I said some thing to the effect of "pay will be based on ones skill".I know nothing about machine shops,but I will say,in "times like these" 9.00 or 10.00 per hour is better than 0.00 per hour.But again,Im not debating how much is enough,my point is no one even bothered to send a message and ask how much the job pays.

Evil

20. RichG

RichG

Hopefully someone in your area will see it now and ask. I don't think anyone would be willing to relocate for that kind of money, but ya never know...:)

21. Ruiner

Ruiner

The problem I'm having is that my industry has dried up and left the country (moldmaking and machining)...so now my skills are useless, according to the temp agencies...these days they try to place people only in the jobs they're suited for, rather than giving people a chance to try something new...at this point in my life, I'm kinda screwed...I know I'm capable of anything put in front of me, but I haven't found a company willing to take me up on that claim...it seems like this country has been neutered, nobody's willing to take chances...I'm so sick of job hunting and it's only been a week...

22. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I got out of mold making years ago and glad i did... Try getting into plc programming.. Thats what i do and i love it but i dont do enuff of it as were really slow at our plant too... Its a long shot from machining and mold making but its fairly easy to learn. I also do machine repair and trouble shooting but the programming is a good way to start... Little hint here the big 3 (who kows how long they will be the big 3) use a lot of allen bradley shit.. Allen bradley thinks thier shit dont stink and its better than everyone else. Now i have experience in Omron and Koyo(automation direct) and now can program most anything but after i had my heart attack and got back to work they told me they were going all A/B shit and they asked me if i wanted to go to classes to learn how to program the A/B stuff.. Hell ya but they basically shot themselves in the fucking foot cause what i was doing for 400 bucks now cost 1k with the A/B stuff .. I looked on monster.com and saw what they were hiring A/B programmers for and shit myself... I couldnt wait to get to classes... So learn one then try and learn another . The jobs are out there.. Play your cards right you can start your own business and if you program a machine for an outside company you can password it its yours even if they pay for it . This isnt done often but its done.. I learned how to program looking over my boss's shoulder :)... Was a bumpy road but oince it set in i was good to go.. An added plus is to learn the wiring and how the sensors prox and lazer shit works .. Its gonna be a big learning curve but ill bet you could do it ..
    The thrill is the first time you download a program into the plc and watch a machine work and you made it work ? I was up for a week...
    Dave

23. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

I used to troubleshoot and program Ferry machines, but rotomolding has taken a real nosedive. Where I live, Little Tikes, the original rotomolding toy maker founded by Carl Dobrenzeniecki is moving its operation out and putting a whole plant out. I worked for Carl for a short stint as Inventory, QC manager/ Troubleshooter at The Molding Company (founded after getting sold out by his partners, and now sold out again from under him to Kitterman Plastics) until my sight went and I had to have a series of eye surgeries.

Truth is people would rather buy imported plastic toys for their kids to chew on. I used to check our pigment for lead and thallides, if it failed it wasn't used. I am having serious doubts as to whether other plastics manufacturers are monitoring this as close as we did. Just a rant, but I hate seeing people lose their jobs because we gave up our birthright as the leading manufacturer of everything. Now, meth might qualify us as a world leader in homemade pharmacueticals, but it seems that will be about it before this is done.

24. RichG

RichG

JusJunk is right, there is good money in PLC programming. The days of the instrument tech are numbered, as a good PLC program can emulate days and days of fine tuning mechanical devices. Allen Bradley is king in PLC's, but GE Fanuc and Modicon are right behind them. The great thing about learning A/B first is that GE and Modicon are like the mentally deficient stepchildren of A/B. If you can program A/B slicks, you can program just about anything with a little training.

25. evilone0528

evilone0528

I fully understand you problem,but on the other hand(to play the devils advocate)if your skills are useless,you wont be able to walk into a body shop and make top dollar if you have no skill at paint and body.(I use this just as an example,because its the industry Im in)

You verry well might be capable of any thing put in front of you,but those willing to give you a shot,wont be inclined to start you off at 50k you first year in.

Ill give you an example,I have a 23 year old girl that works for me.Her previous job was working at Hot Topic in the mall.I interviewd her (her previous manager was a friend of mine,whos oppinion I trusted).She knew noting about paint and body work.I asured her this is hard work,and being low man on the pole didnt pay all that well,but as her skill progressed,her pay would increase.She as proved to be a good employee,and her skill has increased leaps and bounds.I have up held my end and her pay has increased accordingly.She started 2 years ago and is still with me today.

On the other hand I have hired some really talented people who were first class screw up who lasted less than one month before I canned them.

Just some stuff to think about.....

Evil

26. Ruiner

Ruiner

I program Allen Bradley controllers all the time...all of our Kurtz casting machines used them, along with some of our hydraulic pumps and Hall tilt machines...the aluminum industry is going down the shitter too...

27. The next time you buy something, look where it is made, or where the parent company is from. We used to say Buy American, what happened? And try being a consultant in the Marketing/Public Relations business. Guess what gets cut loose first. If I didn't still have business cards, I'd say i was unemployed...lol....

28. The Shocker

The Shocker

All forms of industry in this country are going down the shitter.One affects the other.People that are losing their jobs ,have had to cut back on extras and some essentials .That affects all industries .If there is no one buying anything ,there is no reason to make anything.We are all gunna feel this ,before its over .Weither your a gunsmith ,car salesman, preacher ,carpenter ,cab driver,etc.No one is exempt from whats going on ,some industries just take longer to get to ...

29. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

ya but thats casting stuff .. They are used for other things ya know... Whole assembly lines at the big 3 are controlled by plc's.. Now i know they aint hiring but thats another example of what can be done... You dont need to be stuck in one field of programing options like die cast.. it goes a lot farther.. But if your doing that now you prolly know prox switch wiring and reed switches and thru beam sensors and lazers and on an on and on... the jobs are out there... Oh ya digital mearuring devices are fun too :) I consider my self lucky cause my ham radio background got me into low voltage stuff then i was trained by a master electrician when we built our new plant so i can fumble my way around that shit also... Bending conduit is an art and also fun and i was taught that too . I havent done it in a few years but id bet i could... learn as much as you can as it might be needed some day :)
    Dave

30. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

+1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.