Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Keep the 235 or drop in the 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the b.c.b., Jan 27, 2009.

?
  1. Rebuild the 235

30.9%
  2. Buy/Drop in 283

69.1%
  1. the b.c.b.

the b.c.b.

I've got the origional 235 in my 56 chev and I love the little six, but she's got a lot (and I mean A LOT) of miles on her, the rear main is going, the cam is starting to flatten out, and just time for a general overhaul. On the other hand, I have a very good freind who is willing to sell me a 58 'Vette 283 with 5k on the rebuild, 1.94 heads, finned aluminum vette valve covers, rv cam, cyclone headers, and a bunch of Edlebrock stuff on it for $500. Just needs a carb and distributor (well and a flywheel/clutch)

So the question is, should I rebuild & hop up the six or drop in the eight?

2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Whats wrong kevin, too chicken shit to keep the 6?

Id say go for the 283, but say goodby to fuel milage

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

500 is a bargain..the six will take that much or more to build..it's your car tho....

4. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

If its a money thing, I doubt you could do the machine work and buy the parts for the 6 cylinder for that. Especially if its that worn out and you are looking at having to replace the cam also....:eek:

5. the b.c.b.

the b.c.b.

Wanna hang out with Neal and Bob?
    No, I'm thinking as far as cost effectiveness. If I run the 283 I wann run a 600 or 650 cfm holley double pumper, but I know it will never get as good of gas mileage, but it would work way better for my lakes pipes idea.

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

really? a double pumper? why not go with an AFB.

7. 283 is the cheep way to go, but don't put a double pump on it, go with a 525 Barry Grant vacuum secondary. That is more carb than it will ever need.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think that there are going to be a great deal of people that tell you to keep the 235 because they are cool engines that garner a lot of attention when dressed up. For me though, that '56 is pretty heavy and the looks will only take it so far. The Torq that can be made from a 283 pretty easily is what will make you enjoy driving the car. I have been though this thought in my head a thousand times and what always gets me is the tine of a 8 cyl engine. There is something that warms my blood about hearing a V8 in an old car that just doesn't do it when it comes to 235's. They are sweet, but unless it's a hoodless roadster that weighs like 1500-1900 pounds, the look is only going to go so far. So 283, after all it is the best engine ever made....or so I have heard.

9. the b.c.b.

the b.c.b.

Better yet, why not run a weird stromberg? Or I could tie an ass to the front of it and buy a whip. Or maybe invest in a segway. I don't want an AFB.

10. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

I like the 235, but the 283 is too cheap.
    OK,...Whats wrong with an AFB? They are so simple & they work. I've used them on slant 6's, 440's, 354 Chryslers, they were completely trouble free.

Lucky667

11. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Hahaha, nothing says old like a whip and a donkey.

If you wanna be wierd, i could give ya that Quadrajet

12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Hell, why not a Q-jet? If you can keep your foot out of it, it's possible to get something resembling mileage out of it. Maybe not traditional, but the Q is a fine carb. JMHO, YMMV...

13. roddinron

roddinron

I love the 235 and if it was a 54 or older I might say keep it, but in a 56 I think I'd prefer the 283. Back "in the day" we sort of scoffed at any chevy from 55 up that wasn't a V8.

14. twofosho

twofosho

Nothing wrong with a DP Holley that replacing the nut behind the wheel or the one that did the install couldn't fix. Secondary actuation is the only reason the secondary pump shot could affect fuel economy, if the carburetor is set up correctly, and that is controlled with the right foot usually.

I put a 600 double pump on a .060 over 350 not to long after I dumped it in my little sister's O.T. and formerly 250 six 68 Camaro (and to a T350 from a glide). Very responsive when you booted it and once I taught her that jazzing it away from stop lights (she said she liked the way it felt) was the primary reason for her gas guzzling, actually gave halfway reasonable mileage (mid teens). No reason at all why, had I felt like breaking it open, playing with the main jet, pump shot (squirters and cam), power valve, and secondary plate wouldn't yield figures in the high teens, low twenties with her 2.9 rear gear.

Admittedly, using a factory spec Q Jet (or AFB, 4GC, Thermoquad, etc.) can yield impressive mileage figures on the right OEM motor, but more often than not the results from the average reman or aftermarket carburetor is going to be a crap shoot, and if you're redoing what you have yourself, finding the correct parts (jets, metering rods/hangers, pump shooter(s), etc.), or even knowing what you need for that matter, is even more so. And you better hope that Q Jet is a virgin because once someone has screwed with it, it can be nye on impossible to get back to spec, much less tune it for your motor.

Almost forgot, can't think of any reason not to dump a 283 in a 56, not even taking into account the 500 buy in.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  15. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

a v8 is always better

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

How about a 650 Holley with vacuum secondarys? Might help the mileage a bit.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  17. I'd run the 283 and put an Edelbrock 500 (or maybe 600, no on second thought stay with a 500) on it. I think you'll find the mileage isn't all that different from the 6.
    I took a 235 out of my 57 many moons ago and put in a basic wheezer 350 and mileage stayed the same, and it was much more fun to drive.
    Of course, "Your mileage may vary"

18. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Keep them both. A guy needs at least two to play with!

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

What he said...

20. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Its cost effective to use the 283 and more horses to boot,

I know you can make good power with the six....but 500 is a great price ....

21. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

While I love to see hopped up 235s in pre-'55 Chevies, a '56 looks best with a 283 with Corvette valve covers.

22. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

It can go either way, 6 or 8 ... Ya $500 you can get a SBC but it's gonna' cost you that and more to do the swap. These things nickle and dime you to death sometimes. If it was mine, 235 all the way.

23. specialk

specialk

qjet

24. slammed

slammed

Do the V8, save the six.

25. dannyego

dannyego

do the v8. I just did it in my 56. Its an easy swap. $500 is a decent deal just keep in mind the cost of new motor mounts, trans mounts, exhaust, drive shaft, moving the radiator back from the 235 position which requiers a v8 core support swap out or an electric fan etc.... Im glad I did it but there was a lot of stuff I didnt think about before that nickle and dimed me. Hell I have some 283 mounts with new bushings if you want them just pm me.

26. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Im doing a 283 in mine so I would say a 283. I don't plan on running anymore than a 550 cfm myself but i might do mechanical injection. 650 is quite a bit too much from my experience unless your dealing with a heavily modified larger discplacement 283. Though Im not saying you can't do it and have decent results...

27. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Engine swaps are what Hot Rodding is all about!! Never be afraid to install more cubic inches. Sounds like a great deal on the 283. It wouldnt take me long to decide , that six would be on the next trailer load of iron just like I have done many times before.

28. beatcad

beatcad

do the 283. believe me i do love an inline 6, but in the long run the 283 will be more cost effective.
    you can use the motor mounts and wiring harness you alrady have.
    i could be wrong because it's been a loooong time since i looked for them, but if you can get that 283 for 500 clams you could get back 1/2(or more) of that on EGAY for the finned corvette valve covers. that could cover the cost of the other accesories you need.

29. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I voted and will also put in my two cents. I agree that your car is heavy enough that the 283 will feel better than the six. I must admit though, that after owning a 59 Chev 1 ton with the six, I have a lotta respect for those engines.

I also reccomend the smaller vac secondary carb...but then you didn't ask anyone's opinion about that did you?

Joe

30. Rusty

Rusty

283 hands down but I do feel you will be much mmore happier with a healthier 350