Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 368 c.i. Lincoln motor. Which bell housing will fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirt Dobber, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

I have a 57 368 lincoln motor and want to run a ford 4 speed tranny, But I am having trouble finding a bell housing to fit. Any suggestions!!

2. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

Let me know if you find something that works, I'd love to put a 4speed behind my 56 Linc.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Can't say from personal experiance but I have read here that an FE bellhousing will fit except for dowel pins which will require attention.

4. Contact Unclescooby..............he's a Lincoln man.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I think you need to sell me the 368! Looking for a good one.:rolleyes:

6. pacman

pacman

those "big y-blocks" came in heavy trucks too, so theres a bellhousing/flywheel for ya. the truck tranny would be a bit big, but theres a large mounting face you could make work for any trans.

i have not done this myself, yet. I bought an edmunds 4x2 intake for one of these motors the other day from a guy who talked with me about this truck bellhousing idea. He has a truck bellhousing and flywheel/clutch setup and was intending to do the same - adapt a decent 4-speed to that bellhousing.

so its out there and its do-able, so dig in!

7. pacman

pacman

[​IMG]

not posting to brag, posting to live'n up the thread!

jimmy six and cobrabreeze like this.
  8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Cragar made a bellhousing for the Lincoln. Pretty hard to find but they were available.

I do know a guy that adapted the truck bellhousing and flywheel to work with a top loader. I think it required a centering ring for the trans. Not rocket science but it does need some machine work to make the smaller diameter car trans work.

9. There are a couple of ways to adapt manual transmissions to the 368, none of which are particularly cheap or easy...but all are doable.

1) Use a factory 368 Turnpike Cruiser bellhousing...fairly scarce. Supposedly the 368 was also offered in a few police option Fords in '57 as well.

2) Use the Cragar bell...very scarce.

3) Use a truck bellhousing...see this thread & take a look at my last two posts: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146956

4) Yes, someone here has said that the FE bell will work "with just a few mods". They have been asked, a couple of times, to demonstrate it, and haven't. In a quick 1 minute mockup I did by holding a FE bell to the back of a Lincoln Y, it looked like more than "just a few mods" to me, but I freely admit I was in a hurry right then. :D I am not a FE guy and don't have another FE bell sitting around, but one of these days I will try to do this officially & take pics.

I have since compiled some additional info about the Saginaw swap & can add a bit to that thread info...it's by far the easiest way to get a manual trans that's not a truck transmission.

cobrabreeze likes this.
  10. 2Hep

2Hep

FE block bellhousing housing... what a bitch it is to find one...looked and looked for an adapter to bolt up my '57 Lincoln block to my '39 Ford 3spd... finally found after 4 years of searching, its a cragar too. But it does bolt up to the FE block aswell, so the bellhousings are the same.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Hmmm, very interesting! Seeing is believing!:eek:

12. pecker head

pecker head

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have a 368 Lincoln and a Lakewood blowshield for an FE Ford. If anybody is interested enough to come here (San Mateo, Ca.) and give me a hand I'll drag them out and try to fit them and take pictures. If not I won't.

14. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

fe is spose to work but there isnt to meny choices wilcap makes a adaptor for lincoln y to 700r4

15. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

one more thing i think that late 50's 368 motorhad a option called turnpike cruisers that had a manual option but it would be impossible to find i would honestly just run the hydromatic transmissions they had ro go with the wilcap 700r4 adaptor

16. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

You should be able to use the Bendsten AOD adaptor to use a SBF manual bellhousing and flywheel. It's not cheap though. http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Lincoln_Edsel_Merc.htm
    317/341/368 OHV Linc/Mer to Chev OR AOD
    52-57* $ 995.00
    *Can use with Manual OR Automatic Transmissions just by changing the flywheel

17. I know of several people who have used the Bendtsen adapter to run automatics, and had no installation issues.

I know of at least one case firsthand (and have heard of others) where the adapter would not work "out of the box" to adapt a manual trans, specifically a T-5. It will work with a moderate amount of machine work, which is fine...but that's not as advertised.

When the builder (a machinist & professional engine builder) called Bendtsen to consult with him, the response was, and I quote, "You must be an idiot."

I have seen several other posts (as reliable or unreliable as anything on the Net goes) about the poor customer service from them.

I have been reluctant to mention them for manual trans applications for that reason. It is an option, though. ;)

18. redbeard

redbeard

that was me pac man, I guess the hamb is everywhere.

i do have the lincoln manual bellhousing, and flywheel and clutch, and I think it would be easy to adapt a four speed behind it, that is what I was going to do.

I was going to make a spacer ring for the hole in the bell, and redrill the bellhousing. Change the clutch disc, and pilot bushing. There may be length issues depending on what tranny you use, but honestly this is pretty much standard fair for adapting trannies to motors.

Hell, if you guys saw what zibo built from scratch, you would realize this is the easy route.

good luck, and I hope you use that intake.

if you want the other lincoln stuff let me know.

cheers

19. The 368CI was STD in the 57 TPC and optional on the rest of the line. A series of 100 57 MONTEREYS were released with the factory competition M-335 Engine to qualify for NASCAR. It was an 8V rated @ 335HP. The M-335 cars were all STD, the TPC optional with a STD.

The later M-335 option was available factory assembled and over the counter.

There was a 56 FORD S-CODE 368 CI released for POLICE (Engine VIN S).

The engine (takeout) shown on the referring thread has 56/57 LINC MARK II rocker covers.

The 63/64 -CORRECTION- 1963- 332 has the intake manifold with the correct pattern for a 4150/4160. A FORD Y-BLOCK distributor can be used with a drive gear change.

IN ADDITION- If you notice on the LINC Y-BLOCK intakes, the carb pad sits very low for vehicle hood clearance. This affects flow as the runners turn upwards from the plenum and then back down to hit the head runners. The 1963 332 4V intake has a raised pad to correct this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  20. John356

John356

I am in the process of having my friend Brett the machinest convert an Fe Lakewood to fit a 368,the FE is close but no bolt-on. He first made a fitment to bolt to the crank so he could center the input shaft.Then he plug welded all the bolt holes.Then he re-drilled the holes a little oversize to match the 368 block.Then he drilled the dowell pin holes oversize. By indexing off the crank fitment he can adjust the bell
    so that the input shaft is on center. Then after everything is bolted down on center,he will weld correct washers over the oversize pin holes to locate the bell on that plane.If the transmission drop is not correct,the blocksaver plate can be shimmed.Flywheel wil be fitted with an FE ring gear to allow the use of a late style
    starter.

21. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Used a truck bell on my 341 and adapted a t5. A ring to center it and sleeve use the throwout bearing for the lincoln pressure plate,made a pilot bearing. Only had to egg out a couple holes and redrill 1 hole. Hope this helps Rob

22. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is it for sale?

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't know which one you want but the answer is the same. No.

24. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Just checkin!:cool:

25. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

The 332 mentioned earlier, just to clarify, is a Lincoln Y not an FE, I believe there was a 302- Lincoln based also used in N-Series until the FT (FE like but has a bunch of differences) 361 came out. The small N-Series trucks could be had with a six even. The truck bell could be fairly common if they haven't shredded all of them, but if you are running it hard, a cast iron bell is kind of dangerous. If you blow a clutch, it thows some big chunks of iron around very destructively. A steel scattershield, even custom, might just be better in the long run. Expensive yes, but your legs are worth something too. An Auto adaptation may be cheaper, they had a Hydramatic, and a heavy Cruisomatic. Another thing too, is the truck manual bell should have mount bosses that will hang down and be a hard fit in some chassis. The FE one in my '65 F250 4X4 (mid mounts with a front plate like the big trucks) is a heavy son of a gun.

JMO

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  26. havi

havi

I was gonna say give these guys a call.

27. cornernfool

cornernfool

I have a top loader 4 speed behind my 368. I modified the FE bell to fit, used an FE flywheel and 11 inch clutch.

I never offered pictures, but I'll explain it again. Built a fixture to locate center off the back of the crank. Purchased a Lakewood indexing kit which consisted of longer dowells and steel donuts to locate off of them. Opened up the FE dowell holes and centered the bell on the fixture, clamped it tight to the block checking that the crank would still spin. Elongated the bolt holes and respotfaced them. Bolted bell to block making sure crank was still centered and would spin. Punched in the longer dowells, dropped the donuts over the dowells and tig welded them in place. That is the simplified version, but it wasn't that tuff. I redrilled the crank pattern into the flywheel, the 368 and FE pilot were the same diameter. If someone is local and want to shoot pictures, come on down. Any questions, P.M. me.
    Take care, Mike.

cobrabreeze likes this.
  28. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

I think I would rather use a steel FE bell modified like you said than an iron truck one from a 317. It would be alot safer.

29. Merkonic

Merkonic

El Gallo-I;m doin the same thing,i want to run a 53 317 in a 33 Ford .It took me awhile,I bougt an engine&bell housing out of a 54 Ford COE truck.The engine turned out to be a 368 from a 57 Turnpike cruiser.As someone else said the truck bell mounting face is so big you could put anything to it.I had a machine shop make an adapter plate to bolt up a T86 3spd Jeepster trans(an odd choice,I know) but it was easy cause the outer flange fits inside the 4 bolts,and the input shaft is the exact lenth.I had Ft.wayne clutch rebuild the pressure plate w/lighter car springs& make up a pilot bushing.They also supplied the disc-a common Chevy truck unit.I recently found one of the old aftermarket aluminum bellhousings on Ebay.Funny theres no name on it,only the # 52LF40.Fits 52-57 Linc to 32-48Ford & 38-51 Merc.The only other piece of speed equipment I could find was a Mallory dual point dist.Also Victoryheaderflanges.com has header flange kits now-just got a set.

30. cornernfool

cornernfool

Everything I used for this conversion was out of a 67 FE Cougar, toploader, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, t.o. bearing. Had to build a pilot bushing becuase the 368 crank has a larger diameter hole. Found a bushing with the right size O.D. and machined the I.D. to fit another bushing with the proper I.D. for the trans, then pressed the 2 together. Used the Cougar starter and FE blockplate which I relocated the holes in also.
    I have the fixture to center the bell to the crank, which also doubles as the fixture to redrill the flywheel if some one else needs to do it. Just P.M. me if your curious and we can discuss it.

Doing this with a FE scatershield would be a walk in the park compared to this cast iron stuff. Take care, Mike.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009