Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Saw this displayed with a Model A at a show today.

Attached Files:

2. GuyW

GuyW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
    R A Wrench likes this.
  3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Restore it. If it was in great original condition, with only a ding or two, then leave it. But as it is now, it's just a beat old box in the garage with history only for you. Restore it to the way your grandfather bought it, and then enjoy it. Make it a focal point of your shop and honor your grandfather that way, rather than just having it as another piece of old stuff in the shop.

-Brad

4. boldventure

boldventure

***What Brad said!!!
    I get all sentimental about my Dad's old stuff, he's gone now but I kept what I could...
    some B4 and after pics...

Attached Files:

5. Graham08

Graham08

Here's mine...another old Snap-On box.

[​IMG]

My dad bought it at an auction when he was about 10 years old. We think it is late 40's/early 50's vintage. The coolest part doesn't show in the photo...it has a "garage door" front that rolls down to cover the drawers...keeping people out of your tools!

6. boldventure

boldventure

Nice toolbox...
    One question though...how do you keep it so clean?

7. Graham08

Graham08

Photo was taken right after cleaning the shop!

8. skunx1964

skunx1964

9. boldventure

boldventure

Well that's what I thought.......!
    Good lookin' stuff...

10. skunx1964

skunx1964

its a really nice kennedy i got far about 10 bucks or so at a flea market, its more of a brown/green, my cam sux. just a lil flash rust on the lock from sittin on the patio, i guess i should put em in the garage.....

11. sgtzoidberg

sgtzoidberg
    from yuma az

im currently rebuilding this type of box with the garage door type security cover.

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

my buddy has that exact box-i love it! the garage door feature is so cool.
    mine's not exactly vintage....
    [​IMG]

13. power58

power58

Great post. Tool boxes are like garages. You cant have to much garage or to many tool boxes. My grandpa bought a Craftsman work bench with drawers and a roll around tool box in the 50's. When he passed away my Dad got it. Dad bought a new Rem Line in 1966 when he worked at the Chevy Garage. When Dad retired from the garage he put the Rem Line on Grandpa's Craftsman box. When Dad passed away I got the Rem Line and Craftsman boxes. Both came with some neat old tools. Tool Boxes are like cars, they have a history and provide great memories.

14. RichG

RichG

I needed a tool tower to put my bigger stuff in, but was taken aback at the prices being asked. My solution: a early seventies Pepsi machine. I'm in the process of gutting the machine and adding drawers. I even wired the front so the Pepsi sign at the top will be lit with LED's:).

15. billthecougnut

billthecougnut
    from everett

Blackhawk tools came out with this box to showcase its Nuggets line of sockets in 1947. I am pretty sure they never got into the vacume bussiness. They were a pretty big tool name in the day. (still around as far as I can tell)

16. davidfe

davidfe
    from Illinois

This is a machinists tool chest with oak drawers lined with felt bottoms.
    Metal outer case. Locking front panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Here are some of my tool boxes. I used to keep the upper chest at work. It is ridiculously heavy and has no handles or legible badges. I have tried to find out who manufactured it and approximate age, but have had no luck. The top lid is a style I had never seen before. The drawers are the compound slide type and operate well whether they are half empty or loaded to the hilt. The guy I got the roller chest from said he thought it was a Proto. It has no badges just the outline of an oval with the ends squared off. They are both very sturdy although the roller needs a new set of casters and a paint job. I actually prefer these two boxes over the Craftsman set I bought about 10 years ago. There is just a world of difference in the quality of construction.

Attached Files:

18. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

That is so cool. There was one of these on Ebay last year, and I watched it until it closed...went for too much money for me, but I would have LOVED to have had it. I saved pictures of it and was going to post them, but obviously there's no need.

19. el_ESPANTO

el_ESPANTO

hey everyone

i got a nice little collection of tool boxes pictures are comming soon

Attached Files:

20. el_ESPANTO

el_ESPANTO

HERES MY 1ST ENTRY
    THIS FUCKER TOOK AWHILE TO RESTORE BUT IT STILL LOOKS VINTAGE
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  21. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

WOW I cant post pics of my tool box it dated 87.......way to new......

22. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Count me in! not a rollaway, or even a toolbox really, but old none the less... I think it's intended use was as a tackle box. I'm gonna use it for road tools though. I found it in the dumpster at work, and it had this pepto pink paint on it. It looks so much like my valve cover I had to take it home. I'm gonna paint it to match my car, HOK candy blue, with pearl white stripes on the top, and handle. and the lettering if i can figer out how to do it clean.

Anyone have an idea as to how old this is? My guess is taintes because it looks like my cover, I'm asssuming mid 50's, early 60's?

[​IMG]

It has this cool, redundant safety latch incase you forget to latch it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  23. Just found this one of a popular fella who SELL-ERS stuff on here and makes awesome cast parts.-Weeks

[​IMG]

24. Finally got pics of my old toolbox I gave to my nephew.-Weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

I have the same one . My grandpa bought new in 1954.

26. Tim G

Tim G

i have a Snap-on bottom box similar to the one in the first post, the middle box is a bit later maybe 70's. i also have a Snap-on top box that was designed to fit in the boot(trunk) of a Austin Mini, i don't use it anymore as it's a bit small as you can imagine. i'll get some pics tomorrow and post them up :)

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here are a couple more,first is an antique filmstrip cabinet, these were discarded from a local high school, my friend go the other 30, i wish i could have gotten more. these are built like a brick sh..house. you can put anything in these. [​IMG]
    my old fashioned filing cabinet,antique safe, which i have no idea what the combination is to. lots of parts storage and super strong.
    [​IMG]
    another old homemade box i found at a fleamarket, very well built,i have it loaded with open end wrenches.
    [​IMG]

28. Tim G

Tim G

Here's a pic of mine as promised...

i think it's 60's Snap-on roll cab, 70's or 80's Snap-on middle box, shitty modern top box(temp) and a late 90's MAC side cab...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  29. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

Got this off of the HAMB awhile back.

[​IMG]

30. fatrhino

fatrhino

I picked up a nice old tool box from an auction recently, but I don't know who made it. I'm sure you guys can help me out. The 2nd picture shows where it looks like the badge used to be, as well as the unique markings on the handles

Edit: Looks to have the same handle markings as the ones in Goldie's picture on the last page

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009