Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A with inline six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, Jan 23, 2009.

1. kevron

kevron

hi i have done 3 a models with 202 sixs in lenthend 4x2 box rails and made the bonnets longer and used 32 grill shells good cruzers and plenty spare s around
    i had a few tell me it not a rod if its not got 8 pistons and i just keep telling them to piston off can you imagine 2 million red 32s with 350 x350 in the world boreing be differant go with your heart

2. Taff

Taff

prefer a six to a V8, but what do I know? :)

i'm going to be using a '54 vintage 235 oiler in a Model A modified in the future, just getting the last few bits together to allow me to run a fram under it. cheap engines, and in a lightweight car can really go some

3. kevron

kevron

sorry guys i cant work these fu @##ng commputers 59 year old fu@#wit

4. davesville

davesville

about a dozen years or so ago i had a cute little a model roadster with a worked gm six .the power was adequate and usable lots of fun to drive.the v8 crew always gave me a hard time .this pissed me off so i got out of rodding circles.now i am back its cool to run whatever you like.rodders seem to be a bit more creative nowadays and i like it

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Hey Dave - do you know anyone who wants to buy the chassis out from under my coupe?

I'm about to start building another chassis for it, this time using original 32 rails.

6. concreteman

concreteman

I am so tired of seeing 350-350 ,I am going with a 235 in my sport coupe
    High boy Sport Coupe with a 4'' chop and a inline 6 with a bunch of carbs

Attached Files:

7. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

stuff this one in it !!

Attached Files:

8. Gigantor

Gigantor

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag ... but I fully intend to slip this Twin-H 308 I got out of a 51 Hudson Hornet in between the rails of this 28 Essex/Model A blend I'm putting together.

Mwuahahahaha!!

9. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Here's my coupster with a hot 292 and T-5. The chassis is lengthened about 8 inches. It runs away from many V8 cars due to the monster torque.

Attached Files:

10. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Excellent thread. I'll be running a 250 in my '29 Modified.

I plan on using the stock gas tank and running an uncut firewall. Anyone have measurements from a stock firewall to the back of the grill shell?

thanks guys
    - Joe

11. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

My Grandson and I are building a 1929 Essex hi-boy with a '69 Camaro 230 c.i. inline 6 and an S-10 tranny T-5. It is a scatchbuilt frame, but the original Essex cars came with an inline 6, so I think they had a longer snout. Perley :)

Attached Files:

12. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Have a built 270 Jimmy I've been advertising, but this kind of thread makes me have second thoughts about putting a fullrace Iron Duke in my steel T modified project. The 4 cly. will actually make a better, well balanced car, but the GMC would be scads cooler. I guess time will tell.

13. Joe, you may want to reconsider the firewall. My 250 in the doner truck measures around 32" from the firewall to front of the waterpump. that is what a 32 hood measures alone, you will end up several inches longer and look like an anteater!

14. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

It looks like the picture that Tri-Power posted is of an uncut firewall, he said that he stretched the frame 8".

My plan is to build a custom frame... and push the body back so that the rear tires ride about 2" into the pickup body (it's a '29 Roadster Pickup)... Similar stance to this '25 Dodge Modified..

The front will end up farther out, I know... Maybe I'll have to notch the firewall and gas tank 2" or so.

Anteater... ha!

- Joe

Attached Files:

15. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

My 31 chevy hi-boy with a punched 292. Just thought i'd throw it out there.

Attached Files:

16. Cool, I started a stretched A thread on here. Might be some ideas for you. I will dig it up.
    Here is the link, I bumped it up as well.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253199&highlight=stretch

17. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Here's a Chevy coupe with a 235 or 261? The fire wall was recessed quite a bit. Or is it stock? Cool car!
    Dom
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. That Chevy is pretty rad!

19. "The fire wall was recessed quite a bit. Or is it stock? Cool car! "

Thats the stock fire wall. Too bad it getting almost impossible to build the 235-261 motors. The Hard parts have gone out of sight price wise and many are not being manufactured anymore.

20. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I can agree with that. My 52 has a 54 235 built with all the pretty stuff. Got a 59 235 in the garage for someday. Bought lots of parts over the years. Can't afford any more!

21. ...here's an A truck my buddy built with a Pontiac 215 inline (same as a 230-250 Chevy inline), only recessed the firewall.
    [​IMG]

22. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Wow Rusty1, cool pickup... any shots of the firewall from inside the cab?

23. concreteman

concreteman

Wow
    this is what I was looking for very cool

24. Joe,sorry, I don't have any more pics of that truck

25. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey Tman - is this rendering too "anteater"

I figure that the dimentions are pretty damn close... I started with the 1st image, then I hacked it up in Photoshop, moving the body back and the front end forward... then threw in my L6.

- Joe

Attached Files:

26. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Joe,

You got the look right on.:cool:
    Dont cut that gas tank if ya dont need to.:eek:

27. I like how you pulled the rear inward, if it were mne I would look to lose 4-6" between the front of the waterpump and the radiator.

28. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

My goal is to try and keep the stock wheelbase... we will see. I may still need to knotch the gastank 2".

This one is really nicely done:
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hijack this thread.. Anyone have more L6 in an A pix?
    - Joe

29. genosslk

genosslk

I'm building a Model A with a ford 300 six using a home built manifold with three strombergs 97's and zoomy headers followed by a three speed manual. I can send pics using regular email.

30. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Pictures that I have collected over the years... (Mostly from the HAMB)

I know that 1 is a T and that 1 is a Chevy, btw..

Attached Files:

1963hoopty likes this.