Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Add me to the list of unemployed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I thought this might lighten things up but maybe there is more truth to it than I originally thought.
    Info on the Economic Stmulus Payment Plan

This year, taxpayers will receive an Economic Stimulus Payment. This is a very exciting new program that I will explain using the Q and A format:

"Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?
    "A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

"Q. Where will the government get this money?
    "A. From taxpayers.

"Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?
    "A. Only a smidgen.

"Q. What is the purpose of this payment?
    "A. The plan is that you will use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

"Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China?
    "A. Shut up."

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the US economy by spending your stimulus check wisely:

If you spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China.

If you spend it on gasoline it will go to the Arabs.

If you purchase a computer it will go to India.

If you purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala
    (unless you buy organic).

If you buy a car it will go to Japan.

If you purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan.

And none of it will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America. You can keep the money in America by spending it at yard sales, going to a baseball game, or spend it on prostitutes, beer (domestic ONLY), or tattoos, since those are the only businesses still in the US.

2. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

I got laid off a couple of years ago in a similar manner.

The consulting firm I was working for laid off 1800 workers during a conference call. People on mat leave or sick leave didn't find out until almost a week later when they were sent a letter.

Luckily for me my non-compete contract disappeared and my client hired me so I was working the next day.

3. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Not a good day for jobs cuts ……….;-(

Caterpillar cuts 20,000 jobs after earnings fall more than 32%
    Home Depot to eliminate 7,000 jobs, close Expo chain
    Pfizer to buy Wyeth for $68B; cut 8,000 jobs
    Sprint Nextel to eliminate 8,000 jobs
    GM to lay off 2,000 workers, cut production

4. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Jesus Christ Al..... Its already Monday thanks for fucking it up some more ;)
    Its dont look good out there... harley is doing a bunch of layoffs also not good for us here either ...
    Dave

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'm job hunting right now...in Fargo...I live in southern MN...does that tell you how bad it is looking for jobs in my area?

I got laid off last Wednesday, the 2nd time I've been laid off in a year and a half...my unemployment will only last me 4 months this time...I'm royally fucked...thankfully I don't have a wife and kids and a mortgage to pay as I find my way towards homelessness...

maybe we should change the Constitution to read "We the People of the United States of America, have fucked ourselves out of everything we have worked for by outsourcing our lives for cheap and poorly made commodities that our advertising companies say we need"

6. Bobaloo

Bobaloo
    from Tulsa, OK

I just got the call that my unemployment benefits have been deposited today. It took a little less than four weeks to get. That takes a little of the sting away but not much.

7. I'm waiting for state unemployment to kick in. Should last for a month or so until social security starts. Always wanted to be retired.
    Just realized I don't have to rush my projects now, plenty of time.

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

I got denied for my first unemployment check today, because I worked 2 days last week before getting canned...oh well, next week I'll get paid...

9. evilone0528

evilone0528

so.....any paint and body guys in NC need a job?I have a spot open.

Also,Would it be worth making a O/T thread about?

Evil

10. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Was out here during the GNRS he said he was looking for TALENTED help. Other shops are needing help too.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=900 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=220 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=220 bgColor=#ffffff>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=437>[​IMG]
    [​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=900 align=center background=images/bg_news.gif border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=24>[​IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=852>[​IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=24>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=24>[​IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=852>[​IMG]
    We are proud to announce the availability of a beautiful new 1932 Ford 3-window Coupe body featuring “The Walden Speed Shop Chop”. We have taken Brookville’s superior panels and partnered them with our detailed Walden craftsmanship resulting in the first chopped and filled coupe available on the market. Check out the stunning photos of this flawless body...and don’t wait too long. Order today!
    Take a look at the October 2008 issue of Street Rodder magazine and see what they have to say about our latest project...and Order Today!

We have been fortunate to be included in some great publications lately. Please check out these magazine articles on our shop, projects, and products:
    • Street Rodder June, July, August, Sept, Oct, and Dec 2008
    www.streetrodderweb.com
    • Rod & Custom June, July, and Sept 2008, as well as Jan 2009
    www.rodandcustommagazine.com
    • Benchrace.com Issue #1 www.benchrace.com
    • Genius photographer Adam Wright's new book "Hauler"
    Keep your eyes out for more to come!

Experienced & Skilled Metalman Wanted! Please
    fax or mail resume for review.

Introducing Jitney: HOP-UP Parts by Jake, an exciting new line from hot rod guru Jim “Jake” Jacobs! Check out his products and stay tuned for some amazing new parts coming soon!

We are now offering Sheet Metal Shaping Seminars
    . Don’t miss out on the chance to learn from one of the best - Bobby Walden! With over 18 years of shaping experience to help you, this weekend seminar is sure to be beneficial, whether just a beginner or a seasoned pro who wants to take things to another level. So sign up today!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11. aldixie

aldixie

We work for a contract company and got the dreaded conference call this morning. Luckily for our department was just a reduction in hours.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well another symptom of all this for me. I no longer have internet connection, so here I sit in the local library. Guess I wont be around much anymore.
    Doc.

13. I got "let go" Jan. 8th. The company I worked for forced everyone to take 3 weeks unpaid. They called it a "shutdown". It was necessary to allow everyone to keep their jobs. Well, about a 20 percent of the company never went back to work after the "shutdown". What they should have said is that it was necessary for SOME people to keep their jobs. Pretty grim. Now I'm looking for jobs, and it just makes me depressed. Hardly anything out there. It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I agree. I just hate reading what you (Mark in Japan) have posted on this thread whereas in the past I thought you have been a good Hamber. Please stop the negative beatings of my friend Doc. It makes you look bad and doesn't help anybody.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

This is bad shit..
    I have been working for my family's company since i was 18..im 45 now and have worked hard to become the V.P. of the company , hoping one day to own it.
    we have 2 divisions, one in Toledo Ohio. I have been down at the Toledo office starting yesterday. Cleaning out and closing it down, I have been told to lay off 3 people. already had to do one last friday, and by the end of this month will have to lay off 2 more.
    It could possibly get to the point where that division no longer exist. we are moving the 3 key people up to our facility in lower east michigan, to see if we can weather out this crisis. It dont look good for them, and it dont look good for me.

Something in this economy has to give. or we will end up the next 3rd world country. And do you think any other country will step in to help as we have so many times for others..probably not.

Doc. I feel for your situation, and hope to be able to keep in touch with you, some way..anyway.
    alll of the rest of you guys that are working..keep up the good work and , lets all have faith that this will soon be resolved.

this having to be the axe man for my company has got me all fucked up. Dont sleep much and dont eat much..feel like shit.

its like everything i worked for all my life is slowly getting slid right out from underneath you, and there doesnt seem to be an end to it.

16. inkundone

inkundone

one thing today that pissed me off about being laid off is there was an article on the front of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about 3 sisters that since the year 2003 have been milking the system and taking care of each others kids so that they can receive government funding to the tune of around $540,000 between the 3 of them in 5 years.

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/38309864.html

17. vertible59

vertible59

with all of us working folk cast aside, where will the FED get the money for all their "pet projects"? if the base of the population is not working and therefore not paying income tax what happens? here in ga, the "powers that be" in HOTLANTA just proposed a new 1c across the board sales tax to fix the roads. good plan boys, just what we need right now...more tax on everything we use...yeah, good plan...ugh.

18. brewsir

brewsir

Just heard some professor is predicting 6.5 million more job losses THIS YEAR ! Hang on fellas...might be a rough one!

19. Abomination

Abomination

May as well tell 'em sooner than later so they can start looking for a job earlier while still on the payroll. :(

It sucks, man. Sprint just laid off a shitload of people. 800 of 'em they're letting find new jobs while on the payroll, then they are supposed to leave after they land one... AND get a severance package.

~Jason

20. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Looks like the help in that picture has a whole load of talent!

21. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

This whole thing has really got me down. MIJ at Doc's throat and calling him a liar, everyone getting laid off. The world isn't a perfect place. But this just sucks.

Mark in Japan, you are out of line. I don't care who supports you. Assholes suppoted Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini and Barbara Striesand. It doesn't mean we all do. I don't care about the little things you have up our ass, Doc is a friend. So lay off.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yep Jason I did just that..I treated them how I would like to be treated in this situation..no secrets..no last second rug pull out..I respect these people, and they have become like extended family over the years..it really hurts to do this.
    I have written some letters of recomendation and let them know that if we do pick up any work that we could use them for, they will be first called.

I have 1 month to close out a 6000 Sf Warehouse full of materials, and a 6000 Sf shop and office..probably going to take a bit longer than that, but i have my work cut out for me.

all the people understand, and want to try and help as much as they can..I have already sent 2 of them on job interviews while they were on my dime..I wish em good luck..but this area has been hit so hard and for so long that there isnt many places to go look anymore...the other companies that were in this area have all closed up too. .

they say the Michigan state is one of the hardest hit with lay offs..(un-employment at 10 or so %) that number only reflects those that are still getting benifits..they arenot telling you all the real story..what about those who's benifits have already dried up? and those who have been out of work but were not elligible for un-employment (self employed)..or those who took a big 3 pay off (buy-out) ..but still cant find work..and the list goes on and on..I bet the population of Michigan un -employed alone, if the truth be told is probably around 12% to 14%..and i might be light with that figure

23. Yup, you're dead-on. Heard tonite we're (Michigan) at 10.6% reported unemployed. Lots more that aren't being reported or getting benefits. Seems I see more and more empty businesses every week, 2 small shops in Howell announced just this week they're closing. Wife's job with an old name auto supplier is day to day and they're only doing stuff for Ford these days. Had contracts with GM, Chrysler and some foreign stuff recently but it's gone for now. I'm very very fortunate to be working here with the Army. Just took on about 80 new hires where I work since beginning of the year - all civilian jobs. A drop in the bucket I know, especially when we hear of thousands of job cuts elsewhere. Makes one wonder - where's the bottom??

24. Well I have a job, I start Thursday. I will be working 4 10's, and have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. I went from making the break dies, to running them. The company makes stainless counters for the restaurant, retail, and medical industry. I'm taking an $8.75 an hour hit, and no benefits for 6 months. It's through a temp agency, but after the 6 months I will be permanent, and the pay goes up. It's right around the corner from my last job, 8 miles from my house. I'm still waiting to hear from the company, with the tool & die job, that was in the paper last week. It's a 1/4 of a mile farther past the one I just accepted. Dean

25. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

Lost mine yesterday, plant moved south.....Thank godness for TRA/TTA now im going back to school.

26. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Dean, it is encouraging to hear you got something lined up even if it is not perfect. After all, you are the one who started this thread. Glad to hear it. Von Rigg Fink, it is interesting and sad to hear from the other side of the coin thru your eyes. Hang in there buddy. And everyone else too.

27. I went and took a test last friday for the same type of job as I got laid off from and man I was not ready for that! Flew through the mech. part but sucked hind tit on the math. I still want to know what happened to the old fashioned way, give them an app, talk to ya and get some referances. oh no it is a whole new world now a days!! another thing what the hell does your credit have to do with anything. ok stepping down now.

28. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Guess I lucked out--I'm one of the Home Depot related cuts--got terminated yesterday morning---got an offer today at a new Lumber Liquidator store opening next week--slightly less pay but free insurance for me-I feel luckey

29. davesville

davesville

i havnt worked since christmas.picked up a job today 4 weeks work so it will keep the wolves from the door.it got me thinking what if the hamb had an employment section where members could post jobs wanted and jobs available.in this thread alone there are two jobs available.this would bring likeminded people with similar interests together .its times like these to think outside the square and i believe there are enough members on this forum to make it work:rolleyes: dave

30. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

The layoffs are hitting all jobs, even the professional ones like mine. I got laid off today. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, 30 years experience, Professional Engineer stamp and I worked for an 140 employee Architecture Engineer firm with three offices, Cleveland, Washington DC and Phoenix. I can work for myself again to tide me over until I find a job with another firm. I checked the Internet job postings and there look to be several firms looking for someone with my experience, so I shouldn't be out of work too long......maybe. We'll see how things go. Its tough for lots of people right now who have been out of work for so long. I feel fortunate to be in the position I am with my engineering degree, PE and experience. My wife and I will keep praying for those here who still need work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.