Register now to get rid of these ads!

To Chop or Not to Chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 1ST SERIES, Jan 25, 2009.

1. I'm trying to decide whether or not to chop my truck. It is a 5 window, and I have seen more than a few crappy jobs on 5 window trucks. I'm only thinking like a 3" chop at the most. Something like Cole Foster's. I think it would look good if didn't cut it and lowered the rear window to the beltline.

Any input from anyone?

Also if anybody has any pics of chopped 5 window Chevy or GMC trucks, please post them.

Thanks.

2. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Would look cool, lotsa work though to make it right! I am leaving mine alone. Good luck if you decide to do it! Post some pics of the chop as well?

3. The Satin Slipper is also a nice looking chop, but it is also a 3 window like Cole's.

Oh yeah, I meant a chop without cutting the back center glass....Just lowering it to the beltline.

4. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

every thing looks better with a few inches out of it !

5. chevyshack

chevyshack

i Personally like the chopped look. But 5 windowed trucks are becoming harder to find and already look great without the chop. I wouldnt chop it.

6. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

If you do chop it make sure you do your homework I see some of the 47-55 1st series that are chopped and they look unproportioned like the body is too tall for the glass area. Just my $.02

7. ken1939

ken1939

Casey, thats not what she said :rolleyes:

Chops look good on most cars, I like ones that DONT look like a giant came along and pushed the top of the car down. Use thought and proportioning. I have a friend who has a hudson hornet sedan, think we are talkin 48 or 49, I suggested for his first car to bag it and leave the top alone. That would be a huge undertaking for a novice. Its not exactly a model a.

Think it though, and make it your own.

8. Sprcheese

Sprcheese

I vote no chop. I like these trucks how they are. If your gonna do it, do it right and nothing more than 3" or it'll definately look like Ken1939 said.

9. AD

AD

my vote's for the chop,, i think they look pretty cool that way>>
    [​IMG]>
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. chevyshack

chevyshack

DAMN!! I think i want my vote back!! Chop it.

11. BAM

BAM
    from HB, CA

Mine(my wifes) is chopped just enough so that the lowered full sized back window lines up with the chopped quarter windows. be careful, mail slot rear windows make the area between the belt line and the bed look huge and out of proportion (IMHO). Just keep chanting "less is more". Oh yeah, and you'll have to section the roof, too. Good luck.

Brian

View attachment 585186

12. PoPo

PoPo

chop it but make the rear side windows the same as the rear window in height. Thats the only way they look cool still. Dont chop the rear window at all. I plan on doing this to my extra 5 window. I would love to chop my 3 window like grouchos but I'm not going to do it just yet.

good luck and post some better pics and people can photochop them for ya.

good luck

13. I like those trucks with a chop, go for it!

14. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, do that but dont chop it, they should have come that way from the factory.

15. BAM

BAM
    from HB, CA

Sorry, I'm not so good with photos.

Brian

Dsc05279-vi.jpg
    Dsc05281-vi.jpg

16. OCTANE ORPHAN

OCTANE ORPHAN
    from Ohio

I Say if your gonna chop it... There is a lil more to it than just chopping it. I am big on perportions. The best chopped 47-54 i have seen done was At goodguys indy about 5 years ago. The guy chopped the cab 3 inches and streched the doors 4 inches. Thoses cabs are a bit short, so i think when the top comes down they look way shorter, so if you make the side glass a lil longer it looks was better! To chop that cab right your gonna need to add a piece in the tops of the doors and mid roof anyway so why not find a super cheep donor cab and do it right!! The trick is to do both mods suttel enough to not notice a strech! My vote is CHOP AND STRECH!!! If i find somone with a scanner i will post a pick of the truck i am talking about. Alot of work but well worh it! Hammer Hank

17. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Very nice truck...Wich rims are Those?

Attached Files:

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Can't inprove the look by chopping it.

Attached Files:

19. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

I scored this truck already chopped. It is a big chop but I kinda dig it.
    [​IMG]

20. Thanks for the input everyone. And thanks for posting the pics. I'm still undecided. If I don't chop it, I might get a visor. I'm leaning towards the chop though.

21. PoPo

PoPo

those look like smoothies with hub caps and trim rings..
    Thats what I want to get this summer for mine. I based my truck off this truck, its amazing!!

22. Vorhese

Vorhese

Chopped trucks look out of proportion, my $.02
    And they look great unchopped. Lowered, unchopped.

23. SpiritOf62

SpiritOf62

I would say chop, but then again I am a fan of kustom work so I'm biased. Like you said, I have seen a LOT of crappy chops so if you get it done, get it done right!

24. NOTCH

NOTCH

25. classicfins

classicfins

Chop it! They are simple to chop (in my opinion) but I wouldn't go over 4". This yellow one I chopped 4" and did another at 4 1/2" the 4" looked better and not so squatty..
    Once it's chopped take some 1/4 inch lexan and lay on your quarter window and put in the oven at 400-450 and let it heat up. It will lay right down on the glass, and once it cools you can cut it to the size you need. Simple and cheap. :D

Attached Files:

26. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

My vote is to channel it, section 2.5" out of the mid and trim the bottom of the fenders to keep from scraping, however not chop it. Then again, its your truck, build it your way.

27. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

maybe just a little chop!!!!

28. lawman

lawman

" Chop till you drop"!!!!

29. just a thought, but if you wish to chop the corner glass openings, you might wnt to check on getting a donor roof from a 48 thru about 53 dodge pilothouse truck. the corner glass openings are a few inches shorter and the curve looks about the same, but they are wider and you might need to use the center window opening too. might be worth looking into, here is a pic of my 53 Dodge truck with the rear glass openings untouched after the chop. Bud

Attached Files:

30. metal man

metal man

Willy was right , the doorskins get way huge on those when chopped. The quarter windows get real funky too on the 5 windows . Save your time and your truck,don't do it !