Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

NO NO, you misunderstood that I was talking about the OTHER car in the barn, the Miller/Schofield powered one. :) Is the Gravel HAL still in the Ken Gypson family? I've seen it at the Rhinebeck, N.Y. Meet a few times.

2. tolmsted

tolmsted
    from albany, ny

I didn't speak with Ken directly, but that is my understanding that he has the circa 1940 Gravell HAL.

3. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

I would like to talk to him about the car. I'm not looking to buy - just want info and pics if possible.
    [email protected]

Thanks
    Dick

4. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

70 race cars, of all types, on display at the "Gathering Before the Green" show today(Jan24) and tomorrow(Jan25) at the Indiana State Museum, in downtown Indy. Here are some pix of the vintage oval cars that are there.

Attached Files:

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Mac, I see from the first photo that you were well represented.

6. racer5c

racer5c

Went to lunch with some of my heros today, John Capels, A.J. Watson, Dick Cecil, and 3 or 4 others, then went out to A.J. Watsons shop took a few pics with my phone to share with you all. This is an A.J. Watson built replica of his the first car he brought to Indy. check out the door hinge throttle pedal.

Attached Files:

7. racer5c

racer5c

Another Watson built "replica" Watson Roadster

Attached Files:

8. racer5c

racer5c

This is an "original" Watson Roadster that ended up in Texas and was ran as either a sprint car or a modified by Ronnie and Jackie Burke, It was narrowed 7" Watson has added the 7" back to the middle of the frame and is restoring it. Again sorry that the picures aren't that great I only had my phone to take my pictures with.

Attached Files:

9. racer5c

racer5c

Just a few other misc pictures from his shop, oh yea and the ones of that OFFY

Attached Files:

10. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

DICK; He is not looking to sell the car Call or E-Mail me for hi phone # My # is 920-535-0129

11. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

1948. First car build by Grant King. Driver Bud Eng? Langford Speedway Victoria Canada.

Attached Files:

12. This frame was on Grant Kings stands the day his shop sold out in auction. Presumably the last GK frame to be built.

[​IMG]

13. sideways27

sideways27

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  14. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

racer5c
    Roy;
    Very interesting pics; looks like Watson has a decent shop.
    I have another question for anyone who knows;
    Years ago even with hanging around Jakes place i never thought anything about the fact that most Offy cars had thw exhaust out the right side, and injectors out the left. But a few were just the other way round. I saw a pic here of a Ward driven Dirt Car with the exhaust on the left.
    Were they able to turn the Offys either way?
    Back in the day Larry Dickson told me the black car he was driving then was turning the crank counter-clockwise? Larry said it loaded the left rear, and he loved that set-up. Larrys black ride was a Chevy engine.
    Thanks for any help.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'm no Offy expert by any means, but I believe it was relativley easy to reverse the head on a Offy. I'm sure others here know the details. Pretty common deal for roadsters setups.
    Smokey tried a reverse rotation deal back in the 50s at Indy, and it's been tried on various asphalt cars, like supermodifieds, over the years.

Attached Files:

16. jimg12

jimg12

I am no Offy expert either but maybe I can help a little. The Offy has no head. When I drove for Ted Hartley's midget the ex. was on the left. All you had to do was change the cams, the engine still turned the same way. After all the years of driving Ted's right ear hurt from the ex. roar so he ran it on the left. You can also change the cams so the engine will turn the other way like smoky did. A lot of Indy cars had the ex. on the left. The Dirt cars had the ex. on the right to help keep the dirt out of the injectors. I am sure others can explain this better than I did.
    Jim Graybeal

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff Roy, Thanks!!! A.J. and Johnny are two of my favorite people.

18. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Here are a few more pics from the "Gathering Before the Green" show in Indy plus we made a trip trip to "500" museum while we were at it so included one of Foyt's cars from there. The helmet is one of Jack McGraths.

Attached Files:

19. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

rootie-
    jim-
    Thanks much for the input on the Offys. Its so damn funny that i never noticed the difference in all those years!

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Good "quote" about that race.. My dad said about two years ago. We were at a local car show and a couple Street rodders were talikng about how they were "Big time Sprint car fans" cause they all go to the "kings royal" every year. Well my dad said:

"You know, going to a couple BIG races a year doesn't mean shit. That's like going to Church on Christmas and Easter and saying your a Big time Catholic.. When I see your asses at Eldora in March for the USAC opener and it's spitin snow and everyones freezing there asses off standin' against the turn four wall, then I'll call you a god damn sprint car fan!"

:D

JD

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jack McGrath through the (too short) years:

Attached Files:

22. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

corngrower I'd like to meet your dad

"Doc" Parsons

23. Corngrower, Amen, Amen. ml9.

24. Spike, your comments reminded me of 1 nite @ Reading & the announcer said to listen to Dickson's car of a diff sound. I think it had to do with the timing & the cam. I don't remember which car but it was about the time of the Larry & Gary show. Just a memory. ml9. p.s it did sound diff.

25. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

ya and our asses are buried in fucking snow... Ha ha.. anyone going to Ocala this week for the all star opener ???? I am :D.. May take in east bay on friday for the 360 winter nats too... Gonna hit garlits museum on saturday morning too... Fuck winter ...Im heading south.. ya for 3 days :)
    Dave

26. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Dickson was driving for Jack Steck in Leyba's car. He had the "Chinese Offy" set-up that fired 2 cyl. at the same time which made it sound like 2 -4 bangers running. I asked Jack yrs. ago if he still had the cam and mag to make that work, but it was gone by then. Jack was not doing well the last I heard. Anybody got an up-date? I started working for Ray Smith while Jack was there. Note to Hart Jr., bring Paul Fortney to the Indy swap meet. Butch Evans

27. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Re: Kurtis 2000 for sale..That car has been on the market a long time. Is it price only or something else like history?

28. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Just learned from reading the Williams Grove message board that Lou Blaney just passed away. I posted this on the vintage modified thread here on the HAMB, but thought he needed to be remembered here as well. Thoughts are with the whole Blaney family. RIP Mr. Blaney!

29. Bung Eng, actually. Bung won a main event at Langford with the car during the 1948 season. He had raced his own big car the year previous. Had a big wreck with that one.

The car built by Grant King was based on measurements he made on John Dalby's no. 64 two-port Riley that was driven by Pike Green in 1947. Pike apparently asked John what that kid was doing hanging around and John's reply was that the silly bastard was going to build a race car.

Guess he did. (John's car was home built as well.)

30. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Very Sad News. To put it lightly, We are huge Blaney Fans!