Register now to get rid of these ads!

TJJ: Vintage Trailers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Django, Apr 5, 2006.

1. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Thanks Falconizer!

2. sadayo

sadayo

3. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

Well, after looking this far into this post I guess I will try showing off my teardrop. [​IMG]

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bump cause I have the itch again.....

5. I need to scratch my itch for one of these. I have 67 Chevy Fleetside, SWB with a 454, I trade in a heart beat for a nice Scotty or Shasta!

6. mow too much

mow too much

As the song goes " I had one just like her son " about 20 years ago, I've kicked myself many times for selling/almost giving it away, it was all metal constuction.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. snelson57

snelson57

OK - Since we are on the subject.

Can anyone identify what this is? The current owner claims it is a 1939. It rides on wide 5's.

He says that it is very solid and complete inside - just needs some cleaning and some woodwork repairs.

He wants $1000 for it - is it worth it? I don't know much about old trailers, just think that they are neat.

Attached Files:

8. mow too much

mow too much

I dont think it's that old, Price? That would be up to you and what condition its in.

9. I too have a weakness for the old trailers,,,The early Shastas are so cool,,,HRP

[​IMG]

This one is from Dave Lindsay's site,,anybody know what model it is?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Haven't checked out the other posts so don't know if this has been posted or not. Sorry if it has!

[​IMG]

11. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

looks like it's from the '50s to me. it will probably need a total rebuild. (I am 10 months into mine). it's not that expensive compared to cars, and is pretty darn fun once you get going. any damaged wood you can see means that water has gotten to where you can't see. 1x3 pine is a darn cheap material...

if it has all the fixtures and appliances 1K seems fair. make sure it has all the window parts or other hard to find items...
    let us know how it goes...
    peace

12. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Here's the old "Scotty". Not the best pic but you can get the drift.
    Not sure of year... Maybe mid 70s ?
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

13. metalman

metalman

Mid 50's, about a 14'. Can't tell due to the awning but I don't think it looks like it has the "wings" that became a Shasta trademark, which would make it 56 or earlier. If it has wings it's a late 50's, by the 60's somewhere they change the windows, bigger fronts, "Jalasy" on the sides.

14. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey
    Thanks for info...
    I picked up another Scotty thats real old, Al. exterior. Not in too bad a shape. Guy gave it to me and even haul'd it over to my place> Needs a good clean'n and minor work.. yet another project !
    Pontiac Slim

15. mow too much

mow too much

The learning channel did a series on restoring a Air Stream a while back, I would watch it every time it was rerun, that thing came out real SWEET.

16. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

anyone know where you can get whitewall trailer tires? i have searched to no avail... was told from multiple sources, that car tires won't work.
    porta walls in 13"? 14s and 15s are all i could find. painting them??:confused:

17. Why want passanger tires work,,,the smaller trailers weigh less than most cars? HRP

18. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I have hopes of dragging home a canned ham trailer to pull behind the F1 when it gets on the road. This thread has given me the extra push.
    A bit OT is a book called Some Turtles Have Pretty Shells. A lot of info on converted busses, heavy trucks, etc. Most from back in the 60's, west coast hippies traveling up and down the highway working art fairs. It is a good read.

19. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

I'm at the same point with my camper.

Does anyone think it would be unsafe to run 13" car tires on a 1300# camper?

20. metalman

metalman

My brother uses Coker bias ply passenger car tires on the small trailer. As long as the weight of the trailer is less then the tire rating there is no problem. Check the load ratings in the Coker catalog, most these small can hams wiegh less then 1400 lb. loaded and ready to go. Very rarly will you find real trailer tires on these, they been pull a gazillion miles on car tires. Do use bias ply thou, he says they don't tow well on radials.

21. screwball

screwball

The reason for trailer tires is that the side wall of trailer tires are stronger and ridged. This is more importiant on trailers with two or three axles as the tires twist when turning in a tight area skiding one tire.

22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Plus they are pritty top heavy, side walls take it in the shorts! That's not saying auto tires won't work..................................

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Here's our Spartan Manor, a '46. It's purty neat.

Attached Files:

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes. Don't do it.

25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Brian, forget finding me a dash cluster find me one of those Spartans!!!!!!!!!!!
    Very cool............................
    What else are you hiding?
    I want to go on vacation with you to Mexico during spring break!

26. Trent_A

Trent_A

Here is an 1960 Oasis I picked up. It looked good from the road but has a lot of wood work to be done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. plmczy

plmczy

I have a question for you guy's that are towin your mini campers with a car. Did you do anything special with the rear suspension to handle the extra weight? Got any pics of your tow hitches? Thanks later shawn

28. Tommy, my trailer was EXACTLY like yours!!! The very same animal! I bought mine in 1985, from an old hippie guy in the Colorado mountains that my brother knew. I gave a hundred bucks for it, but I had to haul the trash to the dump that he had in it. I bought some new tires, packed the bearings, then pulled it home to Oklahoma. I pulled it behind my '66 Coronet on a couple of camping trips with the wife. She really loved that little trailer - I found that out the hard way when I traded the trailer for a '48 Austin street rod project - my wife hit the roof when she saw the guy towing off the trailer and what he had left behind! I immediately regretted selling that trailer - and sold that damn Austin ASAP! She thought that Austin was plain butt-ugly. She has never let me forget that little incident after nearly 25 years, either!:eek: If I find another one, you bet your ass I'll hang on to it!

29. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie