Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stude Valve Cover on SBC - what gasket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottybaccus, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Anyone out there used the centerbolt stude valve covers on a late model sbc? I scored a set and compared the gaskets. The Stude is slightly larger with a narrow rail. I'm not convinced it will be leak free with either one.

Tell me about your first hand experience, please. I am considering grafting the sbc gasket rail into the Stude covers.

Thanks

2. draggin breath

draggin breath

Keep us informed if you do it.

3. strangely enough, I'd like to see it too.
    take lots o' pictures.

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

Studebaker valve cover on a sbc ?

5. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

Send the-rodster a message he's doing one now.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe you need to made some sort of an adapter that will use the Chevy casket on the head side and a Stude gasket on the Valve cover side. Something like the picture, which is just a spacer.

Attached Files:

7. Weasel

Weasel

Trying to hide your SBC shame eh????:D

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Hide it? No. Age it? Yes. :)

Well, no adapter is needed. The stude covers fit the sbc head really well, even the bolt holes are close enough to use, but the sealing surface is very narrow. It does use a metal curtain around the inside of the cover to sheild the gasket from oil splash, but the gaskets are only available mail order in cork.
    The late model sbc cover is fantastic sealing technology. It has a sealing surface that's a half inch wide and it captures the gasket to prevent it from sqeezing out. This also protects it from splash. The gaskets only come in composite rubber and are ver much reuseable.
    So I wondered if I could use the sbc gasket in the stude cover. Not having either gasket in hand, I traced out the ID & OD of both covers on paper. The overlap is more narrow than the stude sealing surface. Not encouraging.

I have a plan. I will take pictures. I was just hoping to hear that my concerns were unfounded. It would save a lot of work. I'll have my heads back from the machine shop next week and I can mount one up to see how it works.

Still open to any first hand experience.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stude valve cover on a SBC - WTF?? What am I not getting here? Is there a shortage of SBC covers? Why?

10. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Will the SBC center bolt covers work on a Stude? That's what I'd like to know............. I have a set of the Chevy covers but I really don't want to pull the covers off my Stude to find out, they're about the only gaskets on it that DON'T leak!

11. Weasel

Weasel

If all else fails I have a pair of genuine Olds valve covers I'll sell ya .... the patina is free.

12. You didn't answer the Question WHY put the Stude Valve covers on the sbc
    are you ashamed of the Fact your running a sbc
    just my 3 cents

13. twofosho

twofosho

Could always make adaptors and run HEMI covers- oh wait, that's been done, too.

How about an adaptor to run a late HEMI with a bellybutton- er Chev transmission, at least you wouldn't have to deal with all the fake (faux if you weren't born at least couple of decades ago) comments.

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

Oh Lord !!!!!!

15. F&J

F&J

is this tech week?...

16. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

are you referring to the 283 Studebaker aka Chevy baker valve covers
    correct?

I have never seen a 259 or 289 studebaker valve cover on a SB
    they are not very attractive covers
    [​IMG]

17. brandon

brandon

i'm going to use sbc chevy script valve covers as plug covers on my hemi....:D

18. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

:eek: BLASPHEMY!!!!!

J/K, ;) The later ones are kind of FUGLY but the early 4 stud covers aren't too bad with a little detailing.

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Mine are off a 259 or earlier. 4 bolts down the center. They are a lot taller than the Chevy covers and will be no issue at all for any roller rockers. When you set them on the head, its a perfect fit. I knew about the 283 Studebaker used in 64/65. It was manufactured by GMC on a truck line from what I have read. I didn't know it used the two studs in the center.

I think they look nice enough. My main reason is that the late model wrinkle finish, stamped beads and modern oil cap and pcv stuff will just look too much out of place. I will have nothing to be ashamed of. There's nothing at all wrong with a sbc in a 39 Chevy truck. I suspect they were stuffed into everything in 1953 and soon after just as fast as the newest LS1/LS2 etc. are stuffed into older cars today. The next trick motor out of detroit will be used in racing before it arrives in a production car.

Can we get back to my question now? I'll do a tech post on it in any case. If you don't know what all this is about, do a search for studebaker valve covers or center bolt valve covers.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program...

20. they made a chevy V8 in 53 did they?
    dont fucking think so

21. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I'm sorry. was it '55? Are you too ignorant to get the point? Come back with a contribution or not at all. Thanks.

22. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

try some gasket adhesive spray so it tacks up and cut some long cork gasket (bbc cover) and test it.

23. r8odecay

r8odecay

OR just run up a bead of black RTV and wait til it skins good, slap 'em on and roll...

24. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

wow.. the trad police in this place these days is rediculous. If you're stuck with centerbolt heads, I think no-name stude covers are a much better deal than the ugly and obviously 90's centerbolt chevy covers.

25. What the hell is wrong with someone dressing up a late model set of SBC centerbolt heads with Studebaker valve covers...Late model SBC covers SUCK!
    So this would be an obvious improvement...

My question is this...
    Why do SO many of you pride yourselves on being such self righteous FUCKING ASSHOLES!
    He didn't ask if everyone liked the idea, only if someone had done it yet because they are very similar...Jesus,... either help out or SHUT the Fuck UP!

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

Looks ok from here!

27. glassguy

glassguy

this is perfect !!!!!!! i just wish i could find A way to articulate my thoughts like this! this is why i dont bother with the hamb much anymore you pricks take all the fun out of it!! get a fuckin life tuff guys.:mad:

28. skunx1964

skunx1964

eh..... i give up.... whatever. just glue some flathead heads to it and be done with it.... fuckk

29. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Actually they did ... the prototype engines were road tested in a half dozen '53 210 4 door sedans under all kinds of driving conditions.

30. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

What the fuck is wrong with you people!? The guy is asking for help and he is getting slammed. It seems to be all you guys with less than a year on the hamb...hmm interesting. Use your FNG time wisely and go buy an alliance membership. Shut up, sit down, and pay attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.