Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jerracer

Jerracer

Cool stuff Rootie. Looks like you have quite a collection.
    Were you originally from So. Cal?

That area were the track was is now a shopping center- you'd never know the track was ever there- progress(?)

2. Jerracer

Jerracer

I think that was 1968 or 69. I saw a couple of speedway bike races on the half mile- quite a show -they usually ran on the 1/10 mile Costa Mesa track.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No, not from So. Cal., just some stuff I've collected. That was a time when, as a kid, I was getting interested in racing, reading about Thompson, Gurney etc. Kinda fun to relive those days.

4. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the input I knew that someone would know the answer.Love the info I get on here worth every penny I pay to my internet provider..Keep up all the good stories and info please..

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Cool, thanks mlight.

6. jimg12

jimg12

Racer8, I was driving for Ted Hartley in 1966 when Davies got killed but was not at Santa Fe when it happened. The next week [can not remember where] rumor was he had a heart attack and that caused the wreck. Did you ever hear anything like that?
    I am almost sure that is Pop Dryer's chain drive Desota powered car. Maybe the brake was to help slow the weight of the chain turning?
    IndyBigJohn, I do not think Bob Ayers ever had a Solor midget, do you? Also do not think he was related to Bryan Ayers.
    Jim Graybeal

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Jimmy, I think you're right. I don't know that Bob ever had a Solar, but I don't know if he was related to Brian.

8. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

jimg12 --- indybigjohn--- RE:your post on Bob Ayres.

I was told by Johnny Byrne that he drove for Bob and the Solar that I had was possibly the car. After seeing the photo that was posted of the 75 car I have to wonder if that was fact. The 75 car was from Portland
    Indiana which is about 15 miles from Muncie Ind. I bought the Solar I had from a guy in Anderson Ind. It seems this would make it possible the car I had was actually the 75 car.
    One thing that caught my eye was the dent in the right exhaust header, I remember repairing a dent in one of the headers when I repaired and painted the car.
    Thanks guys for the info you posted as it may find the real past owner of the car.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009

9. Rootie, I forgot to mention yesterday, that link to Indy cars of Winterink were just fabulous. Try & find more. ml9.

10. TraderJack

TraderJack

11. PK

PK
    from Ohio

I'll second that! Rootie thanks for locating these gems and passing them on for everyone else to enjoy.
    Blessings,
    PK

12. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Jim12; RE: Jimmy Davies Did not here a bout possible heart attack but it was possible as I said I was one of the first ones to him. When we got to him no one really saw what happened as it was the first group in hot lapping to try and dry out that very wet Sente Fe so the yellow flag was still out..When wee took his helmet off blood was coming out of both ears so he could of passed friom head injuries also. All I know for sure is it was the end of a GREAT DRIVER. B.K.

13. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

My father-inlaw Walter (MAX) Reichenbach part of Reichenbach Brothers race car builders in Chicago gave Tony Bettenhausen his first ride in a midget, they also had Emil Andres and Wally Zale drive for them. Meny times he (MAX) told me Wally could win a race driving a wheel barrel his mother asked him to stop as he might get killed,as it turned out he Wally was killed by a train.

14. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

One person Paul Russo drove for was Jonnie Paul.Tony Bettenhausen was killed testing Paul Russo car at Indy.

15. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Yup, the back of the photo says" Byron Ayers, New Castle Indiana, 1949".
    David.

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Colorado's own Johnnie Tolan:

Attached Files:

17. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

It is the Tasney Chevy, Tony, and I didn't get a new scanner, so I don't have a larger version.

I don't know who was driving it in that shot, but I do remember that the white car on the outside is the #44 of Gary Hansler, who died at Flemington on Labor Day, 1968.

"Gary Hansler was in his second season as a sprint car driver. During the feature race at the Flemington, New Jersey, Speedway, his car suddenly swerved into the outside wall. Hansler's seatbelt failed, and he was thrown onto the track. His car came down on top of him, killing him instantly. "

18. sideways27

sideways27

I thought I would try this one more time and see if I can get any results as I was not clear in my first post.
    I am trying to find out any information for the family regarding the #0001 Kurtis Kraft midget that was ordered and sold to Roy Russing in 1946. This midget was only driven by Roy one time at Stockton Ca. the week before he was killed in (Bud Rose's Car) while on a practice lap. Roy's widow, Jo continued to run the midget with Gorden Cleveland as the driver.
    This would be a famous car and I would think it is in someones collection. The person in the family has a lot of info and pictures but none of the midget when it was retired or where it is at now. If possiable she would like to see it or get pictures of it for her documentation.

Thanks guys I know she would appreaciate any info.
    Bob

19. There is a guy on here from Arizona that has an old Reichenbach midget. His username is A/FX.

20. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

The Reichenbach brothers built this Ford Torpedo from a 1946 Ford - Carl Hawk bought it from a Chicago Tucker dealership in 49. Hawk owned the car until 2004. The car was in HRM in 1960.
    There are very few photos and this is about all the info I can find.
    I am in the process of building something near to this.
    Looking for all any info photos drawings etc.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9138/Ford-Torpedo.aspx

Thanks
    Dick

Attached Files:

21. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Hansler had his lap belt installed wrong; where it is woven through the mount on the car. When he flipped the whole thing pulled right through, and he was then thrown out. The state MVs had that car for quite some time, as racing is run by them in New Jersey. The whole thing was a damn shame!

22. tolmsted

tolmsted
    from albany, ny

LINKS TO FREE MOVIES (& SOUND):

I just uploaded a video featuring this car at http://blip.tv/file/1697729/ The 1947 Memorial Day Sprint Car Race at the Altamont Fairgrounds in NY.

[​IMG]

The EDDIE GALLIONE car was built by George Gravell and dubbed Gravel Gertie. Another local Schenectady area driver Lee Wallard (Indy 500 Champ 1951) also drove this car. Hank Gritzbach actually won this Altamont feature race and was the year's Eastern States Racing Champion. Hopefully got all the facts straight as I only had a brief clip on 8mm (converted to DVD to WMV ) from a box only labeled "car racing". It seems that National champions and other prominent drivers have raced at this rural track including Lee Wallard, Ted Horn, Tommy Hinnershitz and Joie Chitwood.

Was hoping to find an appropriate sound track to add to the movie from your absolutely fascinating PIC thread. Could not find a perfect fit and grabbed the best I could.

I know almost nothing about sprints; the closest I came was having a Dooling Tether car track in our backyard in the 50's. Through Google and contacts at the Saratoga Auto Museum , the National Speed Sport News , and the Atlantic Coast OldTimers Auto Racing Club I was able to contact the car builder's daughter as well as Allan Wiltsie the owner of a later Gallione car replicated by Joe Fiore,Jr.

The links to FREE Vintage Sprint Car MOVIE AND SOUND that I came up with follow: If your internet gas line is too small or your fuel pump is low capacity then your internet video engine will sputter. Even with slow transfer you can usually right click and download the file from the site:

1929 Auburn Indy car Lycoming st 8 flathead autocrosss and 4 more at idle, from cockpit, etc

1930s Miller Sprint John Jacobson's Ford model B OHV car at Lime Rock 2004 from cockpit

Vintage Miller Ford 1932 John Kerr's Craig Lillywhite #32 at cars and coffee 2008 idling

Miller/Offenhauser movie and sound - presentation well done

Winchester Speedway vintage racers 1/2 mile oval asphalt, from infield 2008

Winchester Speedway vintage racers 1/2 mile oval asphalt, from grandstand 2008

Vintage sprint cars at Jungle Park

Vintage sprint car on dirt solo Australia w/ sound 2007

1974 IMCA Tampa fairgrounds from infield no sound Al Consoli

Vintage Dirt Mods at Middletown NY on Youtube 2007, (used soundtrack)

Champ Car #35 Enterprise Special Bob McConnell's Offy leaving museum 2008 , Sprockets , etc

2008 VSCCA Hunnewell Hill Climb funzies, several more

slow buffering loading-may not work after Feb 09

Midgets NJ 1946 at Patterson slow buffer time (may not work >end of Jan)

Midgets Chicago 1946 (may not work >end of Jan)

Indy 500 1946 George Robeson wins (may not work >end of Jan)

Tragedy at Atlanta Champs on Dirt AAA/USAC race 1947 George Robeson fatality (may not work >end of Jan)

Indy 500 1947 news (may not work >end of Jan)

Hope this is interesting to your readers. I know it's all overkill but I see how intense you all are. Wondering if there are more besides the pay for DVDS.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for posting the photo of the Gravell HAL, could have owned it in the early 1970's. It was in a barn next to the Lime Rock Park Racetrack in upstate Connecticut. I asked the owner if it was for sale and he said yes and gave me a price, I said fine and I'd be back the next day with cash and a trailer. Then he KILLED THE DEAL in the next sentence! Pissed it me off big time but I did get to buy a full pickup bed of dirt car parts and engines. Actually got the Miller-Schofield that came out of the dirt car he kept and restored. Car had an IMCA tag I believe and they stamped MILLER on it but left out Schofield. He stuck a 220 OFFY in it and dreamed up a history to go with it, its bounced around in several collections and I'm sure the car has won INDY, along with a few Championships and everyone in the world drove it. No, I'm not bitter, just listen but never believe all the history on cars out there.

24. KKx125

KKx125

Arlen kurtis may have this car or know its whereabouts. ARLEN lives in bakersfield CA

25. sideways27

sideways27

Thanks KKX125, I will try and contact him. What a small world I live only 40 miles from Bakersfield. I really appreaciate your help and hope he can help the family.
    Bob

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  26. Sprintcar10

Sprintcar10
    from Arizona

Hello All, I am new to message boards. Been a member since Sept. Read every page in here at least twice, the photos are awesome. In the mean time, I have acquired an old Edmunds sprint car chassis. I am looking for more information on this car. The car is unique that it is set up to run as a springer or parallel bar front. I have been in contact with Mr. Edmunds. He remembers building one car like this for a guy named William Tarr in 1968. I got the car from a guy that did not know much about the car. He said he got it out of Ohio and though it was an Edmunds chassis. Any pictures, history or any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.

27. Arlen Kurtis owns KK 01. It was on his list of projects to restore, but I'm not sure how far he's gotten with it.

28. sideways27

sideways27

Thanks Dean for the info. I will pass this along to the family member I know she will be very happy to hear this and this midget is very close to where she lives.

29. tolmsted

tolmsted
    from albany, ny

Added punctuation correction to original post. Never meant to imply this car won Indy, we had THAT Wallard car in our Museum a while back.

30. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Dick; I know a person in Clarks Lake Wi. that has a Reichenbach car as you posted if you are interested in contacting him let me know. B>K>