Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Ford-O-Matic experts in the KC area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by degruyter, Jan 23, 2009.

1. degruyter

degruyter

I'm looking for some one in the Kansas City area that is familiar with the Ford-O-Matic. I have one that was supposedly rebuilt but after swapping it in, it won't shift out of low. I imagine someone put a clutch pack together wrong or something is array in the valvebody but my transmission experience is limited. I also have the original one from my Falcon that needs a rebuild but I would prefer someone that has experience with them perform it. Please don't tell me to just put a C4 in it, I have one but I'm not interested in doing the extra work to put it in right now. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

2. johnmondy

johnmondy

3. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

try Benny at raytown transmission, or Jack schorr in independence both of these guys know there shit!!!

4. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

When I lived in KC, I heard nothing but good things about Jack Schorr. A lot of hot rodders up there swear by him.

5. RmK57

RmK57

Have you tried adjusting the throttle/ trans linkage ? First thing to look at.

6. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Benny for sure 816-356-8860, Benny is the man, Jack is also good but he may be more retired now???
    Tom

7. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

Yep, thats spot on, if it is not adjusted properly it wont shift or downshift depending on how its adjusted, also if your trans mounts are old the trans will sag causing the linkage to be wacked out of spec
    they are pretty easy to work on when you get the hang of them

8. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

9. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

There is something you can check if you have not elready. Pull the Modulator and check to see if the pin is there. Alot of time it if forgotten or falls out. If that pin is not there the trans will not shift or shift poorly.

10. Try Linn Anderson Anderson trans Grandview Mo He grew up building trannys His # 816-966- 1504 If I remember correctly

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I would go with the other posts for rebuilder. The transmission is a very simple design and should be a snap to rebuild. However like others, check linkage, along with vacuum modulator for oil in the vacuum line, along with the actuating pin being there.

I have rebuilt C4's and they are a snap, so I see no reason the same for yours. Good luck.

12. Spooky

Spooky

I am going to jump in here becasue I am having issues with my tranny as well.

I was having trouble getting my trans into gear. It felt like the linkage or something internal was binding.

Finally trying to get it into gear something happened and now-nothing.

My trans was rebuilt by a very reputable guy in Denver not long ago and has little mileage on it.

So i too have questions with these old automatics.

13. degruyter

degruyter

Thanks for all the help guys. I adjusted the linkage when I put it in, so I think it is something internal like the modulator. I just wasn't sure about pulling the modulator off.