Register now to get rid of these ads!

Field Find-off topic 356A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas4blood, Jan 18, 2009.

1. But on the other hand, tuned VW motors are not too expensive and can make a lot more power than a 356 motor. An easy option to have some fun.

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

awesome find! are these really off topic?

3. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Love this car, where do we go to pick this up.. if you post an address; the race is on!

4. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I guess just make them an offer. I pulled a 67 Jag XKE Roadster, all there, triple weber carbs, etc. out of barn last summer. They wanted 10K, I offered $1500, we agreed on $2000. They had several people look at it and no one made them an offer. I flipped it 30 minutes later over the phone for 12K (I wanted 15K). I believe the buyer then had it listed for 24K in Hemmings (based on the add description and same buyer name). I could have sat on it longer, but I had no love for it and wanted it out of the shed. I could have spent a year on the phone with tons of tire kickers trying to get more out of it and it just was not worth it.

Good luck with your find.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice find, unless the seller is waiting and holding out for someone from the more spending money than sense club" to come along cash green money waved in the hand is probably the best bargaining agent.

6. luckystiff

luckystiff

looks to be in good shape. so with that theory and going only on the pics i'd say if you can get it for less than 5k you stole it. less than 10k still a pretty good deal.

and for the coment above about having more in it than it's worth. resto 356s can bring 100k and beyond depending on the model and known history of the car. they are getting a bit more pricey almost on a daily basis.

now i gotta go. i gotta go search kansas for a 356 hahahahha...ken....

7. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

i built 5 of these in a row for a customer.we were able to keep the price under 20k for all parts and labor. there really isnt too much in getting one restored. by that 5th one it only took about a week and a half. hand them a fistful of cash and i bet they bite. if people have a handful of ben franks that surely wasnt there 5 minutes ago they go nuts.

8. <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Amazing find... I miss my 356...

I found a 54 Speedster in August of 1997 from a guy living in Texas keeping the car at his parents farm in upstate New York.

Number #67 of 200 built that year!

Sorry to Hijack your thread but I'm so happy I found these negatives about an hour ago and just finished scanning them into the computer!:eek::cool:

Needless to say it brought a very good price after I got it running.

Bought a house and other classic cars afterward.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  9. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

A 59 356a coupe is not anything too special and could bring maybe $30,000.00 if restored to very concourse condition. If it was a Carrera or a 4 cam motor might bring more. These cars are generally restored for people who don't care what it costs and have no expections of getting thier money back.

10. Gunch

Gunch

did you do this with a clear conscience?

to the original poster: good luck with picking this thing up! i'd imagine it'd be a fun (albeit costly) resto/rebuild.

11. john walker

john walker

i picked up a '63 last year for $4500. a solid roller with the wrong engine all apart. did the brakes and put a proper engine together out of my parts stash and sold it for $20K. it still needed complete interior and paint, etc. they go for quite a bit of cash these days, but most are seriously rotted out.

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have a '53" Pre-A sitting in my garage for maybe 10 years paid $2,500.00 for it.

13. luckystiff

luckystiff

i just saw two very similar cars to that one sell here on the east coast. one brought 14.5k and the other brought close to 17. as i said at least here on the east side decent cars like that are going up everyday price wise. and the one i know of in similar shape currently for sale has a 20kobo price on it. and that seller is usually very realistic with his prices...ken....

14. hislobster

hislobster
    from Arizona

There were 3 (none exactly what you found-2 recreations and a '63 356B) and the range was $17,050-$20,900. All the cars at BJ are pretty much in pristine condition;). The auction was kinda hurting this year though (along with the rest of us), so that could account for the low sales prices.:confused:

My uncle was a HUGE Porsche enthusiast (before he passed) and would have not only given his left arm, but his left leg as well for this find:eek:! Good luck!

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

16. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

bring it to cal. and trade me for my 54 f100 panel. 429/c6. tilt ft end. runner but same shape as your porsche...looking for 58 something for my wife (no chevys)

want to trade my nice #16 ho pont 2.11/-1.77 heads for nice camel humps..norcal

17. drbuck62

drbuck62

Nice field find! I have a 912 and it was easy to work on. Good luck with it.

18. kookee

kookee

I love 356's. Classy, small, and fun. Even when I had a 914, I would "imagine" it was a 356...

Great find! Good luck!

19. vwhammer

vwhammer

Man after looking at some links and looking around I seriously have to find one of these now.

Would it count as a "traditional" hot rod?

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Depends on who ya ask...haha.:D
    But there was a thread or two recently on "hotrod" 356's....search for Dean Jeffries.
    That's a neat find.....I've always lusted after a 356 coupe, especially the 'A's.

21. vwhammer

vwhammer

22. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

That ebay car is a 356, earlier than a 356A. I think the older the more valuable applies here. I still haven't got a deal going, but I am trying !

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

you do know what thats worth right ? just in parts

have drive line parts for that if you need any

great score,,keep us up to date on the resto

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Couldn't say based on just the photos, but a friend got $16,500 for one about 2 years ago that ran but it wasn't roadworthy.

26. F&J

F&J

Geez, your second diss on the car...and you are from CT where most 356's have more rot than the Tulsa Plymouth?

Ex cal car besides.... Shit, no wonder some people are all obsessed over the economy and whining about doom and gloom. Do your homework and rool in dough.

That 356 is a money maker....even at 10k

27. Winfield

Winfield

Looks like a good car to me. I've owned a couple of 356's myself and they are a great little car. If you want some inspiration, go to www.partsobsolete.com and check out some of Gary Emory's 356 race cars and outlaws. By the way, Gary's Dad was the legendary Neil Emory of Valley Custom. How's that for traditional?

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

You are reading a lot more into what I posted than what I'm trying to convay. These things rust badly, rust costs money to fix correctly. If someone wants to flip it for a few bucks Vintage racing is an option. ;)

29. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Wow, I posted back in January and now it is May! She decided she wasn't ready to sell. Been in the family almost 30 years, son wants it, etc. The property owner where it was more or less abandoned wanted it gone, so I called her up in late March. She priced it, but backed out. I called in mid April. She said her son wants it, but maybe, if he can't swing it,....I told I'd take the cash out of the bank in case I could buy it. I called a week ago. She said it's mine if he couldn't or wouldn't pay for it. (he never pays her back for loans) I told her I took the cash out of the bank and would buy it. She would call me. She didn't call, so I called her. The son wasn't a buyer! Yes!!! She said her Mom told a neighbor about the little car, and the neighbor told her son, who called the owner. She told him he could look at it. I asked her why? We have a deal! She said she wouldn't sell to me because she didn't want to be a liar. I bit my tongue...hard....I wanted to ask how letting someone else in now as a possible buyer is straight dealing. He looked at it, trespassing on the land to see it. He went to her house and made an offer. She said the offer is higher than yours. He said he'd match my price. She said no deal. He said he'd beat my price by $100. She said no. He said $200. She said no, I think the first guy would be a better owner for my little car. So today while I was at work my wife met her at the bank, got the title, keys, and an old Clymer's 356 owners manual in exchange for cash. Patience and polite behavior has paid off! I bring the '58 356 home tomorrow and tuck it into my garage! Ahhhhhh, a happy ending feels good!

30. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Cool glad you got it. Someday Ill have a 356 outlaw racer coupe....