Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Cheap Roadster Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fergenboysinc, Jan 4, 2009.

1. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Inside shot

Attached Files:

2. I was wondering how you liked getting in and out with that low top?

Even with a fairly high top like mine you have to change your MO for in and out when the top's on.

Have you found much flapping going on in the large roof panel?
    I set mine up with a bit of a wedge - as well as the car has a good rubber rake (24" and 30" tires), but it still flaps a bit.

Not bothersome and not a problem, just part of the musical sounds a roadster w/top makes going down the road.

Me too on the oak bows.
    Nice part is, you can alter the tops shape later on if you wish.
    Just slide the bows down, cut shorter if necessary, drill new holes for the screws then pull the tacks at the back and re-tension top material.

It can help to disconnect the front header from the windshield and bring it up an inch or four once you have a good idea of where the tacks are going to go.

When you reconnect front header to windshield it draws the top material up really tight.

So, aside from aesthetics there are some real advantages to an oak bow, but if the upholsterer know's what they're doing, steel bows aren't a problem.

Another nice thing about a top - besides the obvious - is; it's another place to have your roadster look a little different from the other ones.

That said, not too many roadsters at the runs and shows I go to.
    Most of the cars are the tin roof wonders and this time of year they're an excellent choice.

Heaters, windows . . . geez . . . what will they think of next....

3. Thought of that and there is room in the 31 for an A/C compressor.

Even so, it's not bad driving in the heat long as you're rolling and the back window is unsnapped.

One reason my top ended up tall for a 2" chopped car was that I wanted to make sure I had lots of headroom.
    I'm 6' tall and I can wear cowboy hats, NZ bush hats and the usual ball cap in the roadster with no probs.

With the back window open you have the air flow of a topless roadster and shade....:cool:

4. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

First off....Yes, Its kinda tough getting in and out of it.
    second.....I am short so, my head wont hit the bows.:D
    third........I don't have a cowboy hat.;)
    fourth...... Not sure on the top flapping. It was -20 here last week with lots of snow and now its melting so its a mess and I am a "cake eater"(read wimp).

The first time I took it out, I let it sit in the driveway and warm up to 165 deg. I then drove it about two miles and when I got back it was at 140! Time for a stat..... Why do I live here....:rolleyes:

5. For the hot women!:D

6. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Is that a request?:D

7. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

But on a more serious note...Can anyone help with a picture of a back window that's NOT in. I'm really second guessing myself on my design. Its just two flat pieces that clamp together. Doesn't seem like it will hold much.

8. Chad, sorry I haven't kept up to date on your progress.

I have a used roadster/convertible window frame in my pile o' parts in the museum room. I was going to show it to you when you were down but forgot to (oldtimersalzheimers memory again). It is a half round on each side and screws (16 of them) together with the chrome on the outside and painted on the inside, and it measures 7" X 24". It's missing the glass but otherwise should be a good example to look at. I picked it up some years back (on ebay or swap meet?) for my next roadster top. I'll post photos of it or if you are coming my way you can take it and see if you can duplicate it. I'd let you keep it but I'll need it for my Brookville project. I'm impressed with your young trimmers skills for his first top, it turned out great and you built the perfect shape and profile with your irons. Does he want to sew one up for me next?

9. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Pictures would be great! And yes, Im impressed with Cody's skills too. He also did the complete interior in my Belvedere from scratch. He was right out of school when I had him do that.
    Here is a shot of it.
    [​IMG]

10. Cody has talent! The Belvedere looks awesome! Ask him if he wants more work in the future.

Here's those pics. They aren't as good as actually looking at it though. My lighting in my office could have been brighter too.
    It needs a good cleaning of the chrome on the inside piece and painting of the outside piece. The chrome side has the screws going through it so that should be on the inside of the top. I see that LeBaron Bonney offers 1/8" glass to fit it so it must be an original Ford window. It has a raised boss at each screw and between each screw so it will not distort when its tightened up and the glass must fit tight up against them.
    This is with it split looking at the inside of each piece
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Roadster Window Frame</td></tr></table>

This looking at the outside of each piece
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Roadster Window Frame</td></tr></table>

A close up of the inside of each piece

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. Big Dad

Big Dad

Fergen, that 63 was the nicest car you will ever own .. period

12. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Thanks for the pictures!

13. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Kudos to Cody on his upholstery skills.(yes, I'm kissing up now, after saying he looked like he was gonna hurl...:D) I'll certainly point anyone looking for someone to do trim and upholstery his way!

You must be bustin' at the seams to get that car out on the road. Hey, Highway 14 was dry today. Dodge around the slop in town and see how that top reacts "at speed". You don't need no stinkin' heater, it's a balmy 5 degrees out there right now.;)

14. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I will be out in it soon! The top is close enough for now. Lets just call it "spring break"...:D. This is what has gotten done lately.:rolleyes: The "top inspectors" came over...then I buttered them up for "approval"...then my buddies posed with them for the "Beverley Hillbilly Photo"

Sorry, Thats it for now.

Attached Files:

15. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

:eek: They're gonna take your liquor license away.

16. Chad, you could buy a heater for that roadster if you didn't have to bribe those pretty girls to pose with you! LOL :D

17. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Well...I got the one chick traded for a heater. Summer needs to get here soon!

Attached Files:

18. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Its a BFG. Anyone know the history on them?

Attached Files:

19. Dirty2

Dirty2

20. terry48435

terry48435

Good info...thanx

21. TimDavis

TimDavis

Pics are gone.....

22. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

That's the big disadvantage of photo-bucket et al, pics vanish and a thread becomes near worthless.

If anyone could provide the pics I can put the thread together as a pdf file provided this is acceptable to Ryan all others concerned.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to agree it is a real shame that the pictures are gone. This could be a helpful thread.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Pictures coming back ? I sent the OP a PM, never heard back :confused: Activity log shows he has been on the board recently.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sent him an e-mail as well, nothing yet.

26. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Lots of shit went on (moved) and stuff was lost for a while, along with a new email....Long story short. If anyone still wants pics back up, let me know and I think I have found some of them. But not all of them sorry.
    Later,
    Chad

27. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I say put them up again and thank you

28. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Sorry, this is the best I can do for now. Use your imagination and do your own. Start cutting up some metal and drilling holes? They make more. It was 1/2 tubing and 1/2x1/4 strap. Nothing fancy. I will dig deeper for more pics.
    Later,
    Chad

Attached Files:

29. slater

slater

Nice pictures, nice roadster... thanks for sharing