Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo Rearend Open Drive Kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodWorks, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

There has been some activity on here lately about early Ford Banjo rear end open drive conversion kits. I wanted to bring up something that I hope will help you.

Ford used a 10 spline pinion from 1932 to 1937 or '38. Our 10 spline kit will fit the rear ends for those years. However, there are 2 exceptions:

1. Many of the 1932 rear ends used a Model A style ring and pinion. This is indicated by the round torque tube flange. In this case, you should use a 1928-1931 'A' style open drive kit.

2. 1933 & 1934 banjo center sections are different than the 1935-1948 center sections. You must use a seal housing made for the 33-34 rear end, or the pinion bearing may be pressed out of the housings during operation. The 35-48 style seal housing will not retain the bearing race in the housing.

This is the bore diameter of the 33-34 housing: 2.875" (sorry for the bad focus)
    [​IMG]
    This is the bore diameter of the 35-48 housings: 3.150"
    [​IMG]
    There are a couple of other differences.
    1. The 33-34 housing is shorter in the pinion area by about 9/16"':
    [​IMG]
    2. The 33-34 housing is also narrower. It is about 3.5" and the later housing is 3 13/16"
    [​IMG]

If you are putting an open drive conversion on a 33-34 rear end, be sure and order one specifically made for those years.

Another thing to look out for, is to be sure that the pinion gear splines are in good condition. Also be sure that the new yoke has a snug fit on your pinion shaft.

There is a large company in Nebraska that has copied our 6 spline open drive kit. It looks like ours, but the yoke splines are oversize and it fits loose even on a new pinion gear.

Ours are forged steel and Made in the USA. Our yokes have our name engraved on them. We have tried to make a quality product and make improvements where necessary.

We know there are a lot of people on this board who have used our products. We appreciate your support.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. krooser

krooser

"large company in Nebraska"... I like that!

3. butch27

butch27

Never Heard Of Them.LOL

4. Hot Rod Works is the real deal. I have their late axle conversion in my quick change rear end. First class. A friend has their open drive conversion kit in his modified. Looks factory and he is very pleased.

5. Weasel

Weasel

As an slightly O/T but somewhat related comment, the Halibrand Type 101 Model A/ Midget quick change uses the Model A size and style banjo, whereas the 201 V8 Halibrand quick change uses the later '35-48 banjo size. The two do not interchange almost any parts as almost every dimension is different. I did a post with pix on this a while back and I'll post a link if I can find it.

Hot Rod Works are the best - thanks for allowing the temporary intermission!:)

6. mj40's

mj40's

I had these guys put a Mustang II in my 40 Coupe. Top notch team. Thanks Nick & Ken!

7. Thanks for your input!

8. spooler41

spooler41

Hotrod works, You folks build a great open drive conversion. I used one of your conversions on the 40 rear end i'm putting in my lakes modified,it was a 15 min. install. I was very impressed with the finish and quality.

Thanks again ........Jack

9. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks. It's been a fun project.

10. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Please do

11. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Mel!

12. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Ken & Nick did the driveshaft work for me several times and they are stand-up guys who do excellent work.......I give them my unqualified highest recommendation....

Thank you for the great service these past years......see you at the LA Roadster Show in June!

Brucie

13. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I'll also vouche for the HotrodWorks. A great product that works well.

14. butch27

butch27

If shipping wasn't so darn much I'd send a unit out there for 9" ford gears.