Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost customs/Christensen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Rator, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Gene Rator

Gene Rator
    from sweden

Need help with these beauties.
    Pix are from the seventies and from Dave Christensens custom/rod collection.
    The low slung Merc is a full custom '40 Merc. It was on sale in Hemmings just recently.
    There's also photos of a '40 Lincoln with '48 Lincoln fenders and a '50 Chevy roof. Neat, huh?
    Does anyone of you fine gents know anything?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures from Wheels magazine nov/78

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

3. Gene Rator

Gene Rator
    from sweden

Thanks Billybobdad! Saw that your location is in Redlands, do you know anything about this collection since it was located in there? Long time ago though..Last thing I heard was from Pat Ganhal and he said they had moved the entire collection out to Atlas auto in Hesperia. You know something?

4. Rikster

Rikster

Recently there where some photos of an old 40's built Custom 1940 Mercury convertible now owned by Tom Black.
    That car was originally owned by Jerry Huth (the muffler Huth). The car below was customized in 1940. One thing that is very interesting about this car is the exhaust tip in the rear fenders. Most likely Jerry Huth who owned a muffler show was responsible for this modification. Who else worked on the green convertible is unknown at this point. (well except for the Carson top, done by the Carson Top Shop)

But the 1939-40 Mercury with the fade away fenders in this post has a similar set up for the exhaust. So perhaps this was also done by Jerry?
    The car is now semi restored and the exhaust was relocated below the bumper and the holes in the rear fenders filled in....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THis photo was taken a few month ago... (Photo by Boldventure)

[​IMG]

5. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

A little.....Those cars were all stored at the family business called Royal Muffler (long closed) on Eureka St. in Redlands. Saw the Lincoln on the street many times. A friend of mine used to run with Dave's sons. Last I heard Dave passed away a while back. I think the moving the cars to Hesperia is correct because 1 or 2 of his sons live there now. Next time I see my friend I will ask for details, maybe he knows as he is still in contact with these guys from time to time.

6. Deadender60

Deadender60

[QUOTETHis photo was taken a few month ago... (Photo by Boldventure)

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

I seen the car around the monterey area, I think Don Orosco (or his son) owns it..

I know I have pics of it.. I'll post some later.

-Juan

7. man I hope those didn't get crushed when atlas closed. I believe a lot of stuff was sold for scrap when the old man died, a friend of mine ended up with a chopped 1941 merc outta there that had been sitting for something like 25-30 years at the yard.

8. Rikster

Rikster

There is a nice article about the Mercury on the Old Cars weekly site. Although it does not say who built it though... only assumptions.

Here is the link to it.

9. Gene Rator

Gene Rator
    from sweden

With the magazine article, which the old pix are from, there was a short story about a chopped '41 Merc too. I can post pictures of it for you to see if it's your friends car if you like.

So Atlas has closed? But it's still posssible to find 'em on the net. Is it the same firm? Mr. Ganhal called it a "wrecking yard for customs "
    http://www.atlasautosalvage.com/

10. Gene Rator

Gene Rator
    from sweden

Yes, Rikster, I have seen that detail too and, what I can recall, on no other else. An odd modification..

11. That Atlas is the same place but, the sons own it now and it is not the same as it was. It is actually located on E ave. not east ave. like the site says. On a side note I would love to see those pics as we have wondered for a long time where that car came from and who built it originally. we do know it had an old key chain on the keys for a tire store in Burbank. I will try to get some pics of the car and post them up as well.