Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Mother Of all Dash/Gauge Threads!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

Is that sarcasm or are you being serious? One never can quite tell on the internet, perhaps you could clarify? I thought my request for some input from HAMBers was a fairly reasonable one, given that there is a wealth of experience here, and many would probably have a fair idea of what kind of interior, in particular, gauges, suit a patina style car. I'm not looking to out and out copy someones suggestion, more take those ideas on board, and find something I like that incorporates those elements as well. We all know that car building is as much, if not more, about the look than anything else

I do think it's different actually. I don't see any other Cortina's on the HAMB, do you? Least of all ones with a V8!

I don't mean to come across as an ass or anything, nor do I think I should have to clarify why I do what I do with my car. I just wasn't sure in what 'tone' your post was intended is all. If you were trying to say you like it, well thanks! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. Strodder

Strodder

Yes I liked it. There is so many "Cookie Cutter" hot rods out there. It's refreshing to see something different. Keep up the good work. BTW this :cool: means COOL.

3. c10addict

c10addict

57 chevy truck cluster I am using in a 67 C10... Going with an Army theme so I thought the speedo in the center would look cool...

Attached Files:

4. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

Well in that case, thanks!

I quite like these gauges from Classic instruments, I think they would suit it quite well, being quite plain, simple and traditionally styled. Plus I already have a fuel sender from Classic Instruments, because I was going to go for the 'All American Tradition' gauges, back when I had envisaged a different look for the car. Not that it would be hard to match the fuel sender to another fuel gauge if I went with a different brand, because it's just an AutoMeter sender, and provided I get a fuel gauge with the correct ohmic resistance, all is well.

http://classicinstruments.com/gaugeselector.aspx?ProductCode=TR01SLF&SeriesCode=TR

5. Wow there is some very cool dashes here. Also here is a shot of mine during the build.

[​IMG]

6. Strodder

Strodder

I just restored my 65 Chevy Truck gauges. I also added white face stickers, and turned the odometer back to 0.

[​IMG]

7. rtomss

rtomss

Here's another....

Attached Files:

8. jmcglynn

jmcglynn
    Alliance Vendor

I've been playing with ideas for gauge panels, I just made up a few of these X-Dashes. The speedo is raised above the other gauges. Not a great picture, gotta work on my camera skills...

[​IMG]

========
    Joe
    www.santacruzspeedandcustom.com

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

this is how im going to do my 28 A dash...also going to add some more Guages on either side of this.
    its a 56 olds cluster..got the idea off a car for sale on one of those auction sites..looks like it belongs there dont it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  10. BEAR

BEAR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    now this is a dash!!

11. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

With the door graphics you have I can't see you running anything but Moon gauges.

The Classic Inst. Amer Trad's don't look right in anything newer than the 30's; IMO.

Attached Files:

12. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I'd love to learn more on making one myself if anyone can educate me.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Amen, making what? A dash? A cluster? A custom dash cluster?

14. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

Great Minds Think A Like. Heres my 60 Bel Air dash cut down for my 40 Chevy Truck

Attached Files:

15. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

Hmmm, that's a fair call! Although It's not set in stone that I'll be running those graphics, it was mainly for Photoshop purposes. It does look pretty good though, if I do say so myself.

I'll need to decide on a steering wheel too at some stage.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  16. 33mopower

33mopower

bump 1933 Chrysler imperial

[​IMG]

17. 56oldsnub

56oldsnub

Out of my 56 olds

Attached Files:

18. firemangordy

firemangordy

This is going into my '32 5w. It came out of a '33 Plymouth.

Attached Files:

19. Made this for my 64 GMC using the original plastic bezel with a handmade stainless insert and auto-meter gauges. sorry for the bad pics.

Attached Files:

20. jick

jick
    from london

these came from a 1960 speedboat (apparently?) and are going in a very 60's style dash in my 29 coupe....

[​IMG]

21. jick

jick
    from london

i'm going to get the paint matched for the outside of the car.....

22. 4tford

4tford

40 ford

Attached Files:

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This thread popped up at the rite time for me as I was needing insperation for my '36 Ford 3/w dash. I wanted something differant than stock and after looking at all posts I decided that I really liked the '40z Pontiac gauge cluster. The '42 has the round gauge holes and t he '48 has the rectangle ones. I am leaning toward the '42 as it has horizontal ribs that resemble the vertical ribs on my '36 waterfall in the clock ashtray area. I started by cutting out the outline of the cluster so that I can french it in from the backside. Took 3/16" brake line and bent the outside perimiter and blended into the dash. Spot welded 4 studs and installed stainless brakeline hold downs to "pinch" the cluster between the dash from the back. It will all be painted black but that will be awahile yet.

Thanks to flynbrian & slantback for the heads up on finding the clusters!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice i like that.

25. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Here what I set up. Will most likley add an aluminum panel later. Still need to add the key, light switch and starter button..

Attached Files:

26. FASI

FASI

This is the 1933 DeSoto in my '28 Ford "modified". It has benn converted to 12 volts. The pinstriping is all stock DeSoto.

27. FASI

FASI

This is the 1933 DeSoto in my '28 Ford "modified". It has benn converted to 12 volts. The pinstriping is all stock DeSoto.

Please excuse if this ends up being double post. First attempt I think went astray.

28. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

I'm game, here's a dash I just finished for a customer. I fabbed everything but the hump above the gauges, thats from a 63? ford, cut down a stainless strip from a 38 ford dash on the sides

Attached Files:

29. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.