Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod 101 Season 4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Kustombuilder gets the long distance award! :D

I'm still trying to figure out how Kevin keeps all that info tucked under his Hi and Tight. :D

2. 55_nail

55_nail

there was one other thing i got a kick out of..."Free Fast". I always new one way the you can achieve "free fast" is in the removal of material " weight " out of a car would provide you with better ET`s...And i have seen alot of Swiss cheesed panels, frames, and whatever else. But no over ever mentioned, before yesterday, that not only are you removing material to loose weight but adding more vertical surface that is actually making the part stronger...know that being said i am sure it can be over done to the point you loose structural integrity...so there is more to learn on where to make these cuts but knowing it is more than just weight loss and aesthetics is a plus for me.

3. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

what do i win??? :D ...took me 5 friggin hours to get home (same as it took me to get there). I-94 was REAL slick once i got back to Michigan. had 3 cars in the ditch within a quarter mile at one point. one in the right side ditch, one in the median and another that went through the median all the way to the ditch on the far left (oncoming side). saw a Fed-Ex semi-trailer upside down in the ditch on the way out... last winter i made the trip in 3.5 hours.

4. count me in for the last three classes.

5. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Fyi...

6. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

BTTT for those that might not have seen it!!!

7. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry folks, HR101 is postponed until the 8th of march. I forgot it was valentines weekend! I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn't have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, i swear to god!

8. Tony D.

Tony D.

Has there been anymore talk about a DVD set??

9. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

We looked into it, but it was WAY too expensive. Even for one of our amateur friends to come in, they wanted moocho dinero.

10. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Wow...I don't see '62 Pontiac's every day. That is a very cool machine. Are you going to make it factory-style drag car? Gasser? Very neat car...

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

This sunday is the "rain date" and the following sunday is the March class.

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

April class is coming up.

13. save me a seat. I'll be there.

14. RacerRick

RacerRick

Why not do it yourself?

People always say that its two expensive, but you are really paying for the persons time. Get some club buddies and some decent digital cams and you can do it.

Get into the local low budget film community. Cheap lights and rentals!

Shooting 100% digital is dirt cheap - a 6 pack of Pro quality MiniDV tapes are under $30 and they are 60 minutes each. Just make sure you have a good 3ccd camera, and most importantly - good sound! 2 cameras are usually a minumum, and you can get wireless mic's that directly plug into the cams for cheap. Around here you can rent all the equipment you would need for around $100 a day.

Then just upload to the computer, and edit using whatever software you like. I have a couple different packages I use. I also own pretty much all my own equipment which makes it easier.

15. Flea

Flea

I'm guessing they would rather be building cars than making movies. It's a good idea but sometimes ya just gotta stick to what you do.

16. RacerRick

RacerRick

Expect everything to take at least twice as long if you are filming and expect to do it a few times - unless you have it covered from multiple camera angles so that you have more media to edit from. Make sure you have lots of light, and decent mic's on the cameras or lapel mics on the talent and make it documentary style.

It depends on what mood I am in on whether making movies or building cars is more fun. Hardest part is getting the manpower to do it. You need a couple of QUIET guys to hold the cameras, that are smart enough to stay out of peoples way, and out of each others shots.

If you are going to make a video - I wouldn't do it while teaching a class. Just way too much going on, and too many people not involved in teaching there.

17. class still on for this coming Sunday??

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yep! See you there? It will start early, so we can wrap it up and cruise to the Czar-B-Que.

19. what time is the start of the class?

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago