Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Racer12

Racer12

Ok maybe you can answer this. Does this car have an Offy in it? I saw where it was entered as one.

Bob

2. No Offy. I'm sure it was just to get attention.

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

This is for the guys that have streetable sprint cars, I have a late 70's 100" Nance Champ car that came from the Oklahoma area that I would like to put on the street. My question is, how are you handling the tranny/ driveshaft/ rearend problem? From my measurements, the driveshaft would be really short, and I am not sure the U-joints would live very long. I am thinking of a shorty 'Glide to gain a few inches on the driveshaft, any thoughts?

4. Race Artist

Race Artist

I wonder if the latest Rootie avatar picture is the fatal F-1 crash of the Count Von Trips in a factory Ferrari ... 1959-or 1960?
    Joel

5. \

Shorty glide seems to be the way to go. I did put a th350 in mine but there isn't a lot of travel until the joints start clicking.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Actually it was British (I believe) driver Cliff Allison at Monaco 1960. He survived and later recalled waking up in the hospital speakng French.... which he didn't speak before :confused::D

Attached Files:

7. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks for the information and the second photo Rootie, very interesting indeed! Hope you understand that I wasn't being critical in my comment about the picture possibly being Von Trips' crash. :)
    Joel
    www,JFNStudios.net

8. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Now that would really screw up your whole day.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

More Midgeteers!

Attached Files:

10. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Happy belated Birthday to this thread and Congratulations to everyone on 200 pages!!!!

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Rootie, who is the No. 43. Looks like a young Pat O'Connor.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yep, that's who it is, probably around 1953 in the Hinkle Kurtis.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

FWIW- The b/w pic was taken at Lakeside Speedway in Denver sometime in the early 50s. Johnnie Parsons is on the pole and Johnny Tolan is starting 3rd, the others I don't know. The color pic is Lakeside from last summer. It was in operation until the late 80s, when a spectator fatality occured and insurance issues closed it down. It's my understanding that it is to be completely leveled this spring. Sad. :(

Attached Files:

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

For the 'streetable' sprint car, could you mount the trans to the diff with a splined coupler and put the engine on a pivoting 'pinion mount'? Might get you some 'extra' room if you wanted to run a different trans (dunno what).

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Cool pic..... While his right foot doesn't appear to be made of lead, the index finger is quite prophetic. :D

Attached Files:

16. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Spike,
    I was there that day too, but Jimmy hooked a buried tire that marked the inside of puke hollow. Yes he was running under Don Branson. Yes he hadn't run a 4 bar car on dirt, but his roadsters in 58-60 were. It wasn't that for sure.

Brawner may not have liked Langhorne, but That story doesn't float in my opinion. He came there in 1958 with Foyt, later with Sachs, Hulse etc, not buying that line.

17. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Great picture of all the great drivers! 'Anybody have a clue who the guy is with the 'Agajanian's Willard Battery Special' on his back?

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

P.J. I suspect. Don't have clue where I found that pic, but it's captioned trent64. Looking it up, it shows P.J. driving that car in the spring 100 mi.

19. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

HA! Why do you guys want to over engineering everything??.... Its really not that difficult.... Heres my driveshaft, connecting my auto trans to a stock rear axle in my Fike sprint car.
    87 inch wheelbase....3.5 years with zero problems..........and, I'm using the same driveshaft setup in the #15 Miller in the avatar picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  20. racer5c

racer5c

Hey McGriff you can't do that didn't anybody tell you that wont wont work

{;>)

21. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Oh yea, some of our best friends and biggest experts........

but the one they really don't like is the angled driveshaft with the swivel torque ball and socket at both ends, in the #98 roadster. All of the owner's genius buddies had him convinced that it would immediately fly apart and cut his leg off, so he made me go out and drive it first, since I had built it. I tested it at MtLawn Speedway for about an hour when he finally called me in and told me to get out of his car so he could drive.
    The car ran many miles last summer at MtLawn, Salem, Winchester and Milwaukee with zero problems.

The roadster has an Alfa Romeo DOHC 2 litre/Alfa 5 spd trans hooked up to a Speedway Eng QC rear axle.

Attached Files:

22. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie, I'm sckeptical that is Trenton 64, more like 62.

The front row I believe l-r, Don Davis, Bud Tinglestad, Foyt, Watson.
    Background l-r Herb Porter, Bill Cheeseborg, Don Freeland, yellow hat is Bruce Jacobi, Parnelli Jones. The straw hat looks like Danny Oakes.

If that is Don Davis it has to be 62 or earlier. It is Trenton, they are waiting for their money!

23. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

[​IMG]

FLEMINGTON NJ 1968

The Hillegas Car with 301 engine.

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well put. The rear end just doesn't move as much as people think. (unless your jumping rail road tracks). :D

You'll be fine.. think of the universal movement on rock crawlers and off road truck racers like M.T.

JD

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Rootie, I've seen that photo before, but danged if I can remember where.

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, I don't remember where I found it, got put in a non-auto album on my puter and I just came across it the other day. Speaking of pics, I came across this site recently that has some high quality shots of early 50s Indy worth looking at.
    http://www.winterink.com/Indianapolis/Indianapolis001/dad001.htm

Attached Files:

27. Just playing around. What do ya think?

[​IMG]