Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HAVE to Finish the LYNDWOOD by October 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 18, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

This rebuild started in 1989 and was rolling along real well until 1991, sort of looked done so I stopped. Dino had arranged a Dover Drag Strip Reunion for January 10th and I started going through some photos to take along. The shot of my daughter at age 4 sitting in the just upholstered car got to me, this project needs to be finished! The car will be 50 years old this year, and what better way to say Happy Birthday than return it to Pennsylvania were it was built and win its class at the AACA Fall Meet in Hershey! I've got most the parts I need to finish it, just need to get rolling again. Goal is to have it look just like it did in that June 17, 1962 photo. Only part I need to buy or borrow is a front hub cap, and I have every Lyndwood made part on the car. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. the shadow

the shadow

WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME.....!!!!:rolleyes:

PAUL

3. What Paul said!

How long ago did I cast those dashes for you?/?

Dennis

4. Concrete B

Concrete B

Good luck! looks cool.

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That is to cool! Get that thing done!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe 1995 or so, I'll cleanup the original we used as a casting pattern today. :) Note that they left out the "D" in Lyndwood, I've always thought this was to balance out the lettering on either side of the steering column hole, but maybe the pattern maker couldn't spell.

Attached Files:

7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

its hard to get going sometimes, just have to drag your self out there and and let her rip!we only have so long to get it done. sure will be fun !!! now kick me in the ass will ya!!! mine is sitting there to!

8. Cool car! Is it eligible for the HAMB drags?

9. shoebox72

shoebox72

So close but yet so far.

10. Take it to the Jalopy Showdown Drags and race Bob Bilbow.

11. scarylarry

scarylarry

THAT would make me smile!!! :)

12. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I heard a rumor that Bilbow is looking to purchase a particular Lyndwood chassis that has never been run from a friend of mine. I guess he wants to have a nice orig built by his dad.
    Sure, I have been trying to get it for a while, but noooo....

I understand that it is not a done deal by any means, and negotiations are in the works.

13. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

By the way Bob, it is about time. :D

14. I've been bugged by the 2 spellings for years. 95% of the posts here also leave out the "d".

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lyndwood is the section of Wilkes-Barr, Pa. were Pat Bilbow had his shop. His son Bob still runs it, most of the old records and equipment were lost in a flood that covered about half the hight of the back door. Bob showed me the waterline when I broght the chassis back for some welding years ago. Always thought that was cool to have the son of the original builder do repair work on the chassis. :)

Attached Files:

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a major reason to get this car done!:D I'm calling my engine builder, tomorrow.

17. reichart90

reichart90

Bob is a super great guy. I moved into the area and found out old dragsters where made here. I did some research and found the address... about 2 miles from my house. I stopped by one day and Bob dropped what he was doing(fabricating infrastructure for the new freedom towers in NYC) to show me his car and the shop. 2 weeks later he was at the jalopy drags so it was pretty neat seeing him rip down the strip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

thats a cool car!!! wish i had one

19. noboD

noboD

'37, I got a parking spot picked out for Hershey. Get that sucker dun, it's only 8 1/2 months away.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is Pat Bilbow in the first issue of National Dragster, Top Speed & Low ET at Charlestown, R.I Airport Drags. I think Bob wants to build a spot on recreation of this car, ran a crank driven blower, and has the short 98 inch wheelbase.

Attached Files:

21. the shadow

the shadow

talked to bob tonight, he told about his negotiations to buy an original 98" chassis to re-create his dads. he also told me of another 98" lyndwood he went and saw that will be done for the jalopy drags & will have a fiat body on it and a blown hemi (I believe?). At last tally I have there being 19 "known" original lyndwood dragsters : 12- 98" wb,3 -130" wb, 1- twin engine @150" wb, 2 - "4 bar" long rails (last ones made), 1 - lyndwood altered....and of course 1 lyndwood re-creation (fake).

I've been keeping track of them for years and lately they've been coming out of the woodwork! makes me want ot stop playing on the computor and bring my rail back out to play....but I'd need to find a driver as I am no longer "comfortable" in the car ie- alittle tight????:rolleyes:

Paul

22. reichart90

reichart90

OOH OHH PICK ME PICK ME
    [​IMG]

23. noboD

noboD

Put me in, coach!!

24. When we were kids we rode our bikes down to the shop to watch Pat at work. I have Lyndwood Welding painted on the door of my truck and when I met Bob he said "we still use that phone #." Amazing ! A really nice guy.

25. See album on my profile for Lyndwood door art.

26. I want specs on that small-block!!!!!!!!!

Friends of mine ran a junior fueler a few years later ('68-'69), parts availability was altogether different by that time. They later went big block, but didn't go any faster, just cost more.

27. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

If ya have it even Close to being done...take it just down the road to The 19th Annual DOVER DRAG STRIP REUNION...It's ON... probably sometime in Aug. at Marcus again. Watch the Dover site for exact date....and send more albums !

28. alsancle

alsancle

Bob,

I'll be sure to stay for the show this year so I can see this done. Do they still run the race car exhibition runs over in the stadium? That would be cool if you could run it over there, just tough to make that hard left turn if you get going too fast.

A.J.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found out at your Dover Fest on the 10th that one of the original Modifiers isn't well, and I want him to hear "Alley Oop" running again.

30. New public social group for those interested in the discovery preservation and restoration of Lyndwoods. Feel free to contribute to the "Lyndwood Eliminators."