Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front license plate mounting ideas- pictures please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cougardan, Jan 18, 2009.

1. For those of us that have to use front license plates, do you have any great ideas of your own or photos from shows? Especially fenderless cars.

Thanks, Dan

2. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

I try'd a bunch of ways to hang a front plate but to me all looked like hell. I keep the front plate under the seat, been stopped a number of times with no issues on that.
    Pontiac Slim

3. I fold mine over, top and bottom. Makes the plate about 3" tall with only the numbers visible and less of an eyesore.

Attached Files:

4. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's mine. I've since replaced the temporary barbed wire insert I had made with a 32 insert. The plate is a little harder to see now cause the bars are closer together but I haven't had any issues with the fuzz.;)

Attached Files:

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Same here, no problems so far.

[​IMG]

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Crazy as it sounds i hold both front and rear on with several strips of 3'' Velcro, no fixings etc 3M do a good product that will do extremes of temperature, just make sure the mating surfaces are cleaned of with solvent first , no problems yet :D

sorry for the crappy pic it was all i could find quickly

[​IMG]

7. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

On a non-hamb friendly car, (i have pics.) I used a sunvisor and mounted the plate to the sleeve on the shaft. Mount it to the bottom edge of the bumper. It folds and pivots so you can hide it horizontal or fold it up behind the bumper. Just leave it out of site till The Man says "Hey you gotta have a tag up here." And you can say " You blind Fucker, It's on there".:eek:

9. Years ago, when I worked for Banks, they did a turbo bucket for a studio guitarist. The trans cooler was mounted in front of the radiator and was the same size as a license plate, so, they painted it to look like a license plate. It was pretty cool!!

10. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

i cut one to fit inside my nerf bars. and was told you cant cut a plate. now i have to buy a new one.

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Pontiac Slim - as a fellow Mainer, it's great to know you get away with that ... I suppose I'll try to pull the same thing once my car is on the road ... God knows I'm not looking forward to that huge inspection sticker impairing the view of my chopped windshield ... beureacrats ... can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

12. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

What inspection sticker? I ain't had one in years. Got nailed pretty bad two years ago street race'n. Cop never noticed that or the no front plate.

Howz-ever he did pick up on the open headers-80 in a 45, no tail lites/plate lites etc etc
    Get'n too old for that stuff! Leave that for you young guns.
    I've calm'd down lately....LOL
    Pontiac Slim

13. gashog

gashog

Trailer license plate mounted between spring and lower U bolt plate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 32 3W has the plate mounted to the front crossmember with fabricated clamp mounts around the crosstube.
    The 23 T Track Car uses a clamp-on license mount on the front axle holding the plate up next to the right wheel.
    The 23 T Bucket roadster uses a license bracket which is bent to slip between suicide perch and the top of the spring. The license plate hangs down from the perch.

15. Jim

Jim

Mine:
    All the parts are from the mechinical brake's:
    [​IMG]

16. Something along those lines that might work for me. Thanks.

17. captainflight

captainflight

Plates always look ugly on the front! I just leave mine off and if I am stopped (which has never happened) I have it in the trunk and just forgot to put it back on when I washed the car.

18. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Not a license plate but the mount could be the same.

Attached Files:

19. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Jim, nice sedan. Do you have an side view pictures?

20. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Close up!

Attached Files:

21. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I made some aluminum blocks that attach to the cross piece behind the grille bars. The blocks were threaded to accept stainless studs that mount the license plate. It can be removed easily and only leave the two studs sticking out that are not too noticeable although I never take it off. No need to tempt "Scary Mary", the local Fuzz. pigpen
    [​IMG]

22. 5w32

5w32

i made a small bracket (pencil steel) between the frame rails under my moon tank and use wing nuts to hold it on for quick removal.

on my coupe i clamped the license plate in the factory interior sunvisor bracket and fold it down when there's cops around.

Attached Files:

23. chop&drop

chop&drop

I made a simple bracket that attaches to the back side of my spreader bar. I put two threaded inserts in the bar and attach the bracket and plate with two machine screws.

Attached Files:

24. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

I like it!!

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Henry had a pretty good idea.:D

26. If you live in Texas, you don't really have to run a front plate if you license it as an Antique or Classic. They only issue one plate. If you use a Year of Manufacture plate, you have to have a pair to register it, but you only have to run one on the rear because it is also considered an Antique or a classic.

Of course I keep a copy of the law in the glovebox just in case I get a cop who isn't up to speed on the Antique/classic laws.

27. Mounted to a couple blind threaded 1/4-20 weld bungs.
    Can be tipped back or forward since the spreader mounts with only one bolt per side.
    [​IMG]

You may want to keep in mind that states and local governments are really revenue hungry these days.

Here in Sunny Arizona a front plate is not required.

The big deal lately is, if the rear plate state name is obscured by the license plate frame or anything else, it's a $140. fine.

I don't think a lot of people are aware of it since I see a lot of plates with the state name obscured.

Funny part is, more than a few vehicles have the die-cast plate frame ripped off at the top.

Quick fix I imagine....

28. That's got me thinking I can make a mount for a plate, then also mount my club plaque on a blank plate and slip it in place for display. Maybe a nerf styled mount since the front end's gonna look old.

29. I need to come say hi. I live at Canyon Lake.

30. OLLIN

OLLIN

heres how I have mine. I found the license plate holder bracket at the swap meet for like a dollar and just welded a little tab to the top of my spring perch and it bolts right on.

[​IMG]